There are a couple reasons I use an Android over a BB device as a work driver. Now that I think of it, the President would NEVER need any of that functionality, so him sticking with a tried and true device makes sense.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    12-29-11 04:52 PM
    That is the problem that RIM faces, it has no way of attracting new users. Phones are flashy mini computers these days, and RIM is still building phones with the same classic form factor.
    We'll see how it pans out with BB10. Keep in mind if the new form factor devices on BB10 fail then the current designs are all RIM will have. And that is a lot better than nothing. And of course I mean the "iconic" keyboards and the styling that goes with that.
    12-29-11 05:02 PM
    lets pose a question , how can you hack an iphone ? what happens when you finished hacking it , what do you gain . now what if you were to hack a blackberry , do you know what happens when you try ? the system gets wiped , blank slate , nothing left to see or look at . thats the beauty of privacy . something the iphone fails to recognize . encryption on a blackberry , when you start it up , takes about a minute or so because it has to make sure its not been tampered with or hacked . business - yes , gps tracking you - no , encryption and privacy - yes , a toy - nope
    12-29-11 05:03 PM
    when you start it up , takes about a minute or so because it has to make sure its not been tampered with or hacked .
    My 9930 takes a minute. The Tour I had took like 5. My wife has an older Curve that takes a while too, maybe 4 - 5 minutes. That's one of the more pleasant changes in the OS7 devices. Pretty fast start times.
    12-29-11 05:09 PM
    I wonder if a US president would still use a BB if RIM was bought out by a foreign entity, e.g. a Chinese company. The US gov't would likely have to drop BBs, I am sure there are certain restrictions from using certain technology from countries deemed as security risks...
    Below is a quote from a NYTimes/DealBook article that ran yesterday that touches on your question:

"The most obvious suitor for RIM would be a Chinese cellphone manufacturer. Such companies, which typically act as contract manufacturers for prominent brands, lack a significant presence outside of Asia. ZTE, for example, is small, low-end player in North America and Europe. But it is the fourth-largest handset maker in the world, according to IDC, a company that tracks technology markets.

With RIM, ZTE would add a recognized brand to its portfolio, reflecting its global ambitions. This year, the Chinese company announced plans to produce high-end phones under its own name, focusing in part on Western markets.

But the regulatory hurdles would be high for a Chinese company. In recent years, Canada has been quick to block acquisitions under its foreign ownership laws. In 2010, the Conservative government stopped BHP Billiton, the Australian mining company, from buying Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan. At the time, some politicians cited a foreign takeover of RIM as a worst-case outcome.

The American government could also scuttle a RIM deal. The country�s military personnel, law enforcement officers and White House officials rely on BlackBerry devices, making Chinese ownership difficult under the technology control restrictions in the United States. This year, Huawei Technologies backed away from acquiring technology assets from 3Leaf Systems, a server company, after the federal government raised concerns about the relatively small transaction.

A ZTE spokeswoman declined to comment."

Link to article for those interested.

Despite RIM Takeover Talk, Hurdles Would Be High - NYTimes.com
    12-29-11 05:10 PM
    So let me get this straight, your basically saying that if you strip everything away that makes these phones what they are, then Blackberry is better? Kinda like saying if you strip certain things away from my television (remote, internet access, color, etc.), it's no better than a b/w tv. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.
    Whoawhoa hold it right there imma let you finish.

He meant what the phone has out of the box. Your comment about taking colour out of a TV is silly. An iphone with no apps still has contacts, email fetching, a voice assistant (latest version only), and... that's pretty much it.
    12-29-11 05:28 PM
    It seems like the over 40 crowd are the ones that are clinging to their Blackberries.
    My 2 teens and most of their friends definitely have blackberries, they are addicted to BBM. They do say that if more software companies would develop for BBM, not necessarily for Blackberry OS that it would attract back more teens that have veered away from BB.

I've used the iPhone up to the 4, Nokia, Android, and BB and I have to say that if you want to communicate quickly with people its BB all the way, if you want it as a play device for using apps once a year for many then Android/iOS is the way you'll probably go.

I personally really like my Bold 9900 with its lightning quick trackpad and the web browser for a layman is up to par with an iphone and android devices.

Just depends on what you want the device for. I bought a PB for surfing and eagerly await OS 2.0 because i want the native email/contacts support.
    12-29-11 05:58 PM
    My 2 teens and most of their friends definitely have blackberries, they are addicted to BBM. They do say that if more software companies would develop for BBM, not necessarily for Blackberry OS that it would attract back more teens that have veered away from BB.

I've used the iPhone up to the 4, Nokia, Android, and BB and I have to say that if you want to communicate quickly with people its BB all the way, if you want it as a play device for using apps once a year for many then Android/iOS is the way you'll probably go.

I personally really like my Bold 9900 with its lightning quick trackpad and the web browser for a layman is up to par with an iphone and android devices.

Just depends on what you want the device for. I bought a PB for surfing and eagerly await OS 2.0 because i want the native email/contacts support.
    If you don't mind me asking; how much did the phones for your two teens cost you?
    12-29-11 07:06 PM
    Who said there's anything wrong with a BB phone? But, unless you are Norweigian (he gives them "hope") Obama's choice of a cell phone should not be considered much of an endorsement. The reason Obama likes the Blackberry is simple: the big law firm that hired him out of law school gave him a Blackberry and paid the pill, too; so he is used to BB. Probably gets us to pay the bill these days...
    12-29-11 08:08 PM
    It's just a mini thought of mine. Blackberry has been the choice for President Obama. Even if he had that hunk of metal Sectera Edge (whatever), he stuck with his Blackberry. Obama is the US President (you all should know or you are seriously cut off from the world). He has chosen his Blackberry as his chosen one. The question is why? I though trolls said Blackberries aren't worth it. If they really weren't, then why is he still using a Blackberry? I mean. The ideal choice would be Android (OS is American) or iPhone because they are American. Like let me explain further.

Obama has:

An American Car
    An American House
    An American Plane

etc.

So why did he keep the Blackberry if iPhone have the "same" security and the "same" functionality. I don't want to troll. Just thinking about it.

Also its just a harmless thread meant to be for thinking and discussion not for trolling and stuff
    That's some endorsement! The fact that Obama has a BB, would make me RUN to buy anything else.LMAO:
    12-29-11 08:28 PM
    28 yrs old as of the 24th and BB since Bold 9000. I like my information quick and Obama probably does too.
    12-29-11 09:36 PM
    That's some endorsement! The fact that Obama has a BB, would make me RUN to buy anything else.LMAO:
    It is isn't it? Joking. It isn't there to encourage the purchase of a blackberry just so that trolls can stop ther ****. Well that was original objective but big threads always wander off

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-11 11:00 PM
    28 yrs old as of the 24th and BB since Bold 9000. I like my information quick and Obama probably does too.
    Yea. I found out that will all of the shortcuts and stuff, BB gets your inforation the fastest of all phones

12-29-11 11:07 PM
    Also, to sum it all up so far, because of NOC, the president can't use a blackberry for top secret comms? Can't the government manipulate the system and make the phone system of RIM private to USA gov?

pmccartney likes this.
    12-29-11 11:14 PM
    Yes, I think the US Government would be one of the ones that have the key.
    12-29-11 11:25 PM
    Yes, I think the US Government would be one of the ones that have the key.
    yea. They say that Blackberry manages BES somewhere or the other with something called NOC. Do you guys think US Government can host their own NOC or BES system which is cut off from RIM? That could make the US trust the Blackberry protocol
    12-29-11 11:54 PM
    That shows that blackberry suffices his needs. If that is so, he might also be having Apple and Android phones. but maybe blackberry proves to be a better choice for him..
    12-30-11 12:40 AM
    Maybe it's a lot simpler than all this. He smokes. He needs something he can type on with one hand and one thumb and a real keyboard.

Genius, I know.
    azrin640 likes this.
    12-30-11 12:56 AM
    Maybe it's a lot simpler than all this. He smokes. He needs something he can type on with one hand and one thumb and a real keyboard.

Genius, I know.
    Lol. I had no idea....
    12-30-11 03:31 AM
    i have a blackberry
    12-30-11 04:29 AM
    The friggin Kardashians all have BB phones. There is only so much you can control in a free society.
    rdonnelly likes this.
    12-30-11 05:12 AM
    Maybe he just likes Blackberry and its nothing more than that?
    newcollector likes this.
    12-30-11 06:44 AM
    yea. They say that Blackberry manages BES somewhere or the other with something called NOC. Do you guys think US Government can host their own NOC or BES system which is cut off from RIM? That could make the US trust the Blackberry protocol
    Sure, they could point their BES to somewhere else in theory, a different srp address. But RIM would have to build an entire backend infrastructure just for them. Not really cost effective for them when Android and iOS will be entering the market very soon.
    12-30-11 06:49 AM
    Sure, they could point their BES to somewhere else in theory, a different srp address. But RIM would have to build an entire backend infrastructure just for them. Not really cost effective for them when Android and iOS will be entering the market very soon.
    Yea but if Android and iOS join the market, they won't be having the same reputation of security as blackberry has had
    12-30-11 07:39 AM
    BlackBerry is to Sectera Edge as ThinkPad is to Panasonic Toughbook: business rugged vs ruggedized. Simplistic way of looking at it, but even so a pretty good comparison. BlackBerry is the most secure phone that's available to consumers in a practical sense (cost, availability, etc.). I think the Sectera Edge will do encrypted phone calls from one phone to another. I would get one if BlackBerry wasn't available.
    12-30-11 08:19 AM
145 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD