Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 145
Like Tree24Likes
  1. ichat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Lightbulb If Blackberry Is So Bad, Why Does The US President Have A BB?

    It's just a mini thought of mine. Blackberry has been the choice for President Obama. Even if he had that hunk of metal Sectera Edge (whatever), he stuck with his Blackberry. Obama is the US President (you all should know or you are seriously cut off from the world). He has chosen his Blackberry as his chosen one. The question is why? I though trolls said Blackberries aren't worth it. If they really weren't, then why is he still using a Blackberry? I mean. The ideal choice would be Android (OS is American) or iPhone because they are American. Like let me explain further.

    Obama has:

    An American Car
    An American House
    An American Plane

    etc.

    So why did he keep the Blackberry if iPhone have the "same" security and the "same" functionality. I don't want to troll. Just thinking about it.

    Also its just a harmless thread meant to be for thinking and discussion not for trolling and stuff
    Thanks For Reading My Post
  2. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Because once you take all the apps away from Android and iPhone, they are no better than a BlackBerry, plus his BlackBerry in 2008 when he started his Campaign for Office was still at the top of the pile




    Even today: If you could ONLY use your device with factory installed Applications / Themes, no access to rooting/jailbreaking, app stores, which device would you choose? as devices behind the Government firewalls are such.
    Last edited by deRusett; 12-29-2011 at 02:34 AM.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
  3. ichat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    Because once you take all the apps away from Android and iPhone, they are no better than a BlackBerry, plus his BlackBerry in 2008 when he started his Campaign for Office was still at the top of the pile




    Even today: If you could ONLY use your device with factory installed Applications / Themes, no access to rooting/jailbreaking, app stores, which device would you choose? as devices behind the Government firewalls are such.
    Yea, i understand your point. I would take Blackberry is apps, themes, rooting and jailbreaking were non-existent. Blackberry just doesnt have those eyecandy games and stuff. Thats why it just doesn't compete even though its not meant to compete with multi-media devices
    Thanks For Reading My Post
  4. Amy wineBerry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,332 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    He probably has Apple products as well. It doesn't mean much of anything, really. Many CEOs of companies have BlackBerries. Just means it works for their current needs.
  5. glassofpinot's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    603 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default I wondered a little differently...

    Why do all those stars in Hollywood carry BB's - you see a lot of high star-power people in the pictures that Michelle Haag posts on CB?
    Is someone out there telling them that they need a Blackberry for security? If so, it has to be more than a few someone's.
    ...it all started with those two tin cans & a length of string... . . . [///]--------------[\\\]
  6. ichat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default

    Just to clarify. I mean. I'm trying to prove that BB isn't really not a useless brand that trolls say
  7. Angelo_Campher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    444 Posts
    Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    PIN
    To many of them
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    Just to clarify. I mean. I'm trying to prove that BB isn't really not a useless brand that trolls say
    I don't think anybody has said that BlackBerry's are useless but they are lagging behind in what the general consumer wants or sees as cool. Apps!
  8. Dapper37's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,345 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac
    #8  

    Default

    The people this thred is speaking of are the ones a lot less likely to buy a device bassed on the fad of the day. They use what works best for them. To me its a true indication that the app craze is over done. phones are comunication devices first. The prez and most clebs have no time for games.

    edit: just because adults and kids alike tend to resemble screeming little girls at a beatles concert with their iphone in hand at christmas doesn't meen the clebs of the day equate that to in vogue
    Last edited by Dapper37; 12-29-2011 at 03:33 AM.
  9. teknishun's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    69 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    Because once you take all the apps away from Android and iPhone, they are no better than a BlackBerry, plus his BlackBerry in 2008 when he started his Campaign for Office was still at the top of the pile




    Even today: If you could ONLY use your device with factory installed Applications / Themes, no access to rooting/jailbreaking, app stores, which device would you choose? as devices behind the Government firewalls are such.
    So let me get this straight, your basically saying that if you strip everything away that makes these phones what they are, then Blackberry is better? Kinda like saying if you strip certain things away from my television (remote, internet access, color, etc.), it's no better than a b/w tv. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.
  10. teknishun's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    69 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glassofpinot View Post
    Why do all those stars in Hollywood carry BB's - you see a lot of high star-power people in the pictures that Michelle Haag posts on CB?
    Is someone out there telling them that they need a Blackberry for security? If so, it has to be more than a few someone's.
    You're right. Lindsay Lohan carries one, why shouldn't I.
  11. Tre Lawrence's Avatar
    Between Realities

    Posts
    11,582 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,388 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    ... and then someone will point out what tablet the president uses. That doesn't make the PB horrible, nor does it really validate that tablet as a secure choice.

    Think about it...

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  12. glassofpinot's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    603 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teknishun View Post
    You're right. Lindsay Lohan carries one, why shouldn't I.
    Why are so many carrying a BB? I'm asking about them, not me.
    ...it all started with those two tin cans & a length of string... . . . [///]--------------[\\\]
  13. ichat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    ... and then someone will point out what tablet the president uses. That doesn't make the PB horrible, nor does it really validate that tablet as a secure choice.

    Think about it...

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Truee but not the actual thing about this thread. I just had a thought and wanted to share it. I just want to tell trolls that what they are going at is catching water in a seive. You can't compare a blackberry with an iphone. Ones a workhorse and the other is a multi-media
  14. Tre Lawrence's Avatar
    Between Realities

    Posts
    11,582 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,388 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    Truee but not the actual thing about this thread. I just had a thought and wanted to share it. I just want to tell trolls that what they are going at is catching water in a seive. You can't compare a blackberry with an iphone. Ones a workhorse and the other is a multi-media
    I think the problem is that we almost must compare BB to the iPhone, whether we want to or not.

    For example, why wouldn't you describe the iPhone as a "workhorse?"

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  15. teknishun's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    69 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    Truee but not the actual thing about this thread. I just had a thought and wanted to share it. I just want to tell trolls that what they are going at is catching water in a seive. You can't compare a blackberry with an iphone. Ones a workhorse and the other is a multi-media
    Before elected, the President (then senator) drove a Chrysler 300. Using your logic, we should all be driving those.
  16. ichat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teknishun View Post
    Before elected, the President (then senator) drove a Chrysler 300. Using your logic, we should all be driving those.
    Let's change the question now. Why didn't he get an iphone? Personal or requirement?
  17. teknishun's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    69 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    Let's change the question now. Why didn't he get an iphone? Personal or requirement?
    Honestly? No clue.
  18. msmara's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    129 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    It is because it is a business device, it's true other phones are now being adopted by businesses, but Blackberry has the long standing reputation for reliability, communication and business. That's the only sense I can make of it being the choice of govt. and celebs...hey that's true, they don't have time for games.
    I'm in the early stages of BBM Music addiction.. Add me and listen to some of my favorites! 22D11423
  19. ichat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

    Default

    Yea perhaps because BB has a more of a reputatiom for business devices
  20. qbnkelt's Avatar
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

    Posts
    17,137 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,183 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....
    #20  

    Default

    If the President wishes to communicate with Cabinet members and staffers, he needs to carry a device that is uniformly used behind government firewalls. The only device that is currently used uniformly behind government firewalls through BES is the BB.

    He personally uses Apple products....I don't know this personally, of course, but he has mentioned it in interviews.

    He had a BB as a personal choice before he was elected. He uses a BB now because it is the only platform with which he can communicate throughout the government.

    I am *NOT* speaking right now of the future of other platforms coming behind firewalls. I am also *NOT* speaking of sandboxed projects using other platforms. I am speaking of the simple fact that to communicate across the government one must be on BES behind government firewalls, and currently that means BB.

    So initially it was a personal choice. Now it's a necessity.

    He might be using a Sectera Edge for ultra secure communications that even BB cannot handle. Who knows. He may later use an iPhone for personal use when he leaves office. Who knows. Currently the federal government uses BBerries on BES.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    CJH315 likes this.
  21. rdonnelly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    207 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Please do not compare me to that guy because we both have BBs
    1st BB 7100i > 2nd BB Bold 9930+16GB Playbook > Bye Bye to all my BB hardware>Hello S4 Galaxy, big enough to replace the PB and a great phone as well>Android of course.................
    Thanked by 2:
    momofteme (12-30-2011),  scott.slater (12-29-2011) 
    scott.slater likes this.
  22. Dapper37's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,345 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    Truee but not the actual thing about this thread. I just had a thought and wanted to share it. I just want to tell trolls that what they are going at is catching water in a seive. You can't compare a blackberry with an iphone. Ones a workhorse and the other is a multi-media
    This is true, like the PB is a internet device that can do apps and the pad is an app device that can do the internet... why don't people understand.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 12-29-2011 at 06:54 AM.
    scott.slater likes this.
  23. ichat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    If the President wishes to communicate with Cabinet members and staffers, he needs to carry a device that is uniformly used behind government firewalls. The only device that is currently used uniformly behind government firewalls through BES is the BB.

    He personally uses Apple products....I don't know this personally, of course, but he has mentioned it in interviews.

    He had a BB as a personal choice before he was elected. He uses a BB now because it is the only platform with which he can communicate throughout the government.

    I am *NOT* speaking right now of the future of other platforms coming behind firewalls. I am also *NOT* speaking of sandboxed projects using other platforms. I am speaking of the simple fact that to communicate across the government one must be on BES behind government firewalls, and currently that means BB.

    So initially it was a personal choice. Now it's a necessity.

    He might be using a Sectera Edge for ultra secure communications that even BB cannot handle. Who knows. He may later use an iPhone for personal use when he leaves office. Who knows. Currently the federal government uses BBerries on BES.
    This is the best explanation so far.
  24. Moonbase0ne's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    891 Posts
    Global Posts
    972 Global Posts
    PIN
    I Don't Know You Like That!
    #24  

    Default

    Probably for the security and keyboard?

    Question is, are consumers moving towards phones with virtual keyboards?

    And, does the average consumer need or even care about 007, Mission Impossible, Man From U.N.C.L.E. type security on their smartphones???

    Or, do they want the newest/coolest?


    War Is All We Know
    If your tired of someone's comments, why not just put them on Ignore

    "While your computer's crashing, mine's multitasking, it does all my work without me even asking"
  25. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar
    Mod Team Emeritus

    Posts
    10,165 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    If the President wishes to communicate with Cabinet members and staffers, he needs to carry a device that is uniformly used behind government firewalls. The only device that is currently used uniformly behind government firewalls through BES is the BB.

    He personally uses Apple products....I don't know this personally, of course, but he has mentioned it in interviews.

    He had a BB as a personal choice before he was elected. He uses a BB now because it is the only platform with which he can communicate throughout the government.

    I am *NOT* speaking right now of the future of other platforms coming behind firewalls. I am also *NOT* speaking of sandboxed projects using other platforms. I am speaking of the simple fact that to communicate across the government one must be on BES behind government firewalls, and currently that means BB.

    So initially it was a personal choice. Now it's a necessity.

    He might be using a Sectera Edge for ultra secure communications that even BB cannot handle. Who knows. He may later use an iPhone for personal use when he leaves office. Who knows. Currently the federal government uses BBerries on BES.
    While not *entirely* accurate, still a good explaination. And those Sectera devices are just plain terrible, yet they still have their niche.
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions