Since BlackBerry 10 is clearly on the way out and BlackBerry clearly would like to sell more Android handsets they should have a BB10 handset trade-in program set up ASAP. Perhaps they could launch with the new handsets coming.

This seems so obvious to me - anyone out there think they will miss this opportunity also?

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    04-14-16 08:12 AM
    I think it would be a good idea for sure. But don't have much confidence that BlackBerry will execute on that front.

Edit: might make more sense to offer a trade in with Priv and higher ASP than the forthcoming mid range models. Also, if theydid test Android on Passport, I'd consider purchasing a software upgrade to Marshmallow on my Passport!

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 08:13 AM
    Yes.... and No.

Yes I think a trade-in program would be an incentive for many BB10 owners that are looking for an upgrade, but were on the fence at this point about the PRIV or were put off due to it's higher price.

Sadly no.... I think the only buyers they are go for the PRIV are BB10 fans anyway, and it would not have increased sales enough to counter the much reduced profit they make on each phone sold. Now maybe if they offered a trade-in program only for iPhone users... that might have brought in either new users or at least some past BlackBerry fans. But a BB10 to PRIV program really wouldn't have helped BlackBerry....

A program like that is great for Apple if the know they are selling 90 million phones and a program like that would be useful for add a few more thousand. But for BlackBerry is would have been at least 90% of the PRIV sold... from the moment the program went into effect. They just can't afford it.
    JeepBB, TGR1 and DreadPirateRegan like this.
    04-14-16 08:25 AM
    BlackBerry just wouldn't make any money from a trade-in program.

Even so, how exactly would I trade-in my old OG Passport for an iPhone7?

Threads like these always start with the assumption that all BB10 users want Android and will jump to Android one way or another. This has never been true. I will jump to an iPhone and there are plenty like me. Others will go to Windows etc.

��� вℓα�квєяяу ραѕѕρσят ѕιℓνєя є∂ιтιση ���
    04-14-16 11:15 AM
    I think it would be a good idea for sure. But don't have much confidence that BlackBerry will execute on that front.

Posted via CB10
    No.. They won't do it IMO but they should if they want the Android phones to get some traction.

If not a trade in then a $100 coupon day 1 for BB10 users to buy and upgrade any BlackBerry Android phone. The easiest sales to anyone is to customers who already know you.

04-14-16 11:27 AM
    I also think a trade in program would be nice and just might get folks to buy into the Blackberry android devices. But like a lot of folks on this site, I don't think we will ever see it happen.
    04-14-16 11:27 AM
    The easiest sales to anyone is to customers who already know you.

I dont trust BB anymore.

Posted via Q10Bold
    04-14-16 11:33 AM
    BlackBerry just wouldn't make any money from a trade-in program.

Even so, how exactly would I trade-in my old OG Passport for an iPhone7?

Threads like these always start with the assumption that all BB10 users want Android and will jump to Android one way or another. This has never been true. I will jump to an iPhone and there are plenty like me. Others will go to Windows etc.

��� вℓα�квєяяу ραѕѕρσят ѕιℓνєя є∂ιтιση ���
    No, clearly some users on this forum don't like android, for sure. But I get a sense that some were holding out for granular permissions and Marshmallow. I've heard some interesting things about the marshmallow beta, could give them a small bump in sales. Price is still too high tho, imho. Hence some kind of rebate / trade-in.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 11:58 AM
    Unlike with BB10, BB doesn't need to grow the Android userbase at the expense of profits. In fact, what BB needs to survive are PROFITS. A trade-in program would just significantly reduce gross profits and likely wouldn't grow the userbase significantly or allow BB to gain a significant percentage of non-BB customers (because almost all buyers of BB Android phones are existing BB customers, not iOS or Android customers).

So, I think it is extremely unlikely for there to be a trade-in program - at least, not one paid for and ran by BB themselves.
    04-14-16 06:49 PM
    No, clearly some users on this forum don't like android, for sure. But I get a sense that some were holding out for granular permissions and Marshmallow. I've heard some interesting things about the marshmallow beta, could give them a small bump in sales. Price is still too high tho, imho. Hence some kind of rebate / trade-in.

Posted via CB10
    No not everyone likes Android but the only other choice (really) is iOS. To me iOS is not an option, it's a sentence.

I think it's critical BlackBerry get volumes up or the handset division is dead in 2017.

04-14-16 07:29 PM
    Those trade ins are such rip offs. You can get more money selling it by your self.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 08:43 AM
    No not everyone likes Android but the only other choice (really) is iOS. To me iOS is not an option, it's a sentence.

I think it's critical BlackBerry get volumes up or the handset division is dead in 2017.

Oh, for sure. Hopefully they can hit their targets and continue to develop their version of Android.
    04-15-16 08:50 AM
    Apple’s recycling program recovered 2,204lbs of gold last year worth $40 million

Apple?s recycling program recovered 2,204lbs of gold last year worth $40 million | Apple | Geek.com
    04-15-16 08:54 AM
    Since BlackBerry 10 is clearly on the way out and BlackBerry clearly would like to sell more Android handsets they should have a BB10 handset trade-in program set up ASAP. Perhaps they could launch with the new handsets coming.

This seems so obvious to me - anyone out there think they will miss this opportunity also?
    Their priority seems to be profit over volume so a trade-in program would be a bad idea from that standpoint. They would be collecting used obsolete BB10 handsets by the millions which would be practically worthless after the expense of processing them. Then give a significant monetary credit for their Android handsets that they are having to cut the price on, already, as a low-volume competitor makes it even that harder to show a profit.

If Apple's recycling program recovered $40 million in gold last year than BlackBerry's would probably recover less than $2 million which I don't think would even cover the costs of processing the devices.
    Last edited by early2bed; 04-15-16 at 09:24 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-15-16 09:11 AM
    Those trade ins are such rip offs. You can get more money selling it by your self.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know... pretty sure my Palm Treo wasn't worth the $100 that Verizon gave me for it. I was originally going to use my Z10 for the trade-in, as I didn't see where I could get $100 for it. But then I remember the Palm in the back of my closet, the rep said as long as it was a smartphone and that it worked...

Now Verizon's normal trade in calculator only valued my Z10 at $18.... .
    04-15-16 10:05 AM

----+++++++++++++------

If there's one thing BlackBerry excels at its missing opportunities, so yes.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 02:58 PM
    If not a trade in then a $100 coupon day 1 for BB10 users to buy and upgrade any BlackBerry Android phone. The easiest sales to anyone is to customers who already know you.
    BlackBerry gives a f+-k to their customers, especially BB10 ones...

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 04:56 PM
    They'd probably offer a BB10 to Priv trade in program, where you trade your existing BB10 phone, and you get the Priv at the discounted rate of $899.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-15-16 05:42 PM