The Android rumor.

Now you see bloggers declaring the death of BlackBerry 10 and still no comments from the company.

Not commenting on unsubstantiated rumors seems to be a general BlackBerry PR policy. What if the rumor is hurting the company? You got to believe Chen won't let that happen. If he didn't clarify on this, then there got to be some truth in it.

Either way, I don't like this.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    07-31-15 12:13 PM
    In the classical sense of Thomas More: "Silence is affirmation. "

But, I for one, see no advantage for BlackBerry in a world saturated with varying derivatives of Android.

If the writing is on the wall regarding the demise of BlackBerry 10, then it will join the good company of OS/2 and webOS.

BlackBerry Q10 driven by 10.3.2.2339 on T-Mobile
    07-31-15 12:22 PM
    Well the QNX hypervisor is almost ready to go primetime. Read this article if your interested.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07...nd_eat_it_too/

Sent via Passport!
    ptpete and ZF_23 like this.
    07-31-15 12:25 PM

But, I for one, see no advantage for BlackBerry in a world saturated with varying derivatives of Android.

If the writing is on the wall regarding the demise of BlackBerry 10, then it will join the good company of OS/2 and webOS.

I'd say BlackBerry would stand a better chance on the market running Android. And if they manage to customize the UI to their users preference, it could be a real game changer for BlackBerry.

Even though I personally like BB10, they're kind of stuck in a dead end with that OS at the moment. The supply of Android apps is a workaround at best and it is rather disappointing. Device sales have been bad and they're not getting better. The newest device currently on the market has 2 year old specs and is for a rather specific target audience.

I'd say, on the long run we're either going to see BlackBerry succeeding in the Android market, or the handsets will disappear entirely at some point.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 12:34 PM
    I don't think they think it's actually hurting them, because BB10 sales are so low and are increasingly a lesser part of their focus. In fact they've been pushing the 'we want to serve all platforms' story, and a rumor that hints at them possibly making a device on another platform only serves to support such a story.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-31-15 12:37 PM
    It's been going android since BB10 came out. It's just a matter how much and when.

The sooner they go full Android the sooner I can decompile and deobfuscate all their source code. Already did it with BBM . Looking to modify some of their features and remove some purchase blocked features.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    07-31-15 12:41 PM
    I think the reality is that if Android and BB10 were on the same device through the QNX hypervisor we would be in a predicament.

BB10 has flow. Android is cumbersome and has no flow...............

Would the new system be marketed as "ebb and flow"? .............

Sent via Passport!
    oneinfiniteloop and extisis like this.
    07-31-15 12:44 PM

Os/2 is not a general use os. It's a real time os that is compiled into your application also it's still actively developed so I'm not sure why you mention it at all

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 12:57 PM
    It's been going android since BB10 came out. It's just a matter how much and when.

The sooner they go full Android the sooner I can decompile and deobfuscate all their source code. Already did it with BBM . Looking to modify some of their features and remove some purchase blocked features.

if blackberry goes droid then blackberry is no more its just one droid phone
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    07-31-15 01:02 PM
    The Android rumor.

Now you see bloggers declaring the death of BlackBerry 10 and still no comments from the company.

Not commenting on unsubstantiated rumors seems to be a general BlackBerry PR policy. What if the rumor is hurting the company? You got to believe Chen won't let that happen. If he didn't clarify on this, then there got to be some truth in it.

Either way, I don't like this.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    It's common knowledge that BlackBerry do not comment on rumours.

That means they say nothing at all. Not a Yes! Not a No! True!, False! etc etc. 'nothing'

Posted via CB10
    Irish Blues and acovey like this.
    07-31-15 01:11 PM
    Os/2 is not a general use os. It's a real time os that is compiled into your application also it's still actively developed so I'm not sure why you mention it at all

Posted via CB10
    When IBM OS/2 was mothballed, the venerable John Dvorak pleaded for IBM to release it to open source development because in its final iteration of Warp 4 it was and in many ways vastly superior to Windows - even Windows 10.

For years after its public demise, it continued to find use in ATM's and other secure transaction environments.

For those of who used IBM OS/2 Warp 4, its demise was a sad day.

Last edited by GenghisKahn2011; 07-31-15 at 02:15 PM.
    Blacklatino and TheBirdDog like this.
    07-31-15 01:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    Source? I thought IBM killed it off many years ago.
    07-31-15 01:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    He's talking about IBM OS/2, which was intended to be a general use OS, but failed. It was superior (in my opinion) to Windows at the time, although it's synchronous que did seem to be its a achilles heel.
    It floundered in much the way BB10 is now - failing to gain widespread 3rd party application support.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 01:50 PM
    if blackberry goes droid then blackberry is no more its just one droid phone
    Yup. That's their plan though. They can't maintain two OS streams forever when they keep reducing their staff.

howarmat likes this.
    07-31-15 01:57 PM
    To be silent when some bloggers out there declare BB OS10 as dead isn't good. It really hurts the company.

IF Chen goes full Android - and I really hope he wont - he should have told so and make it look like it's something positive. If he keeps it secret, and everyone writes negative comments on blogs and so on... Then it's really bad press. But if Chen would have given interviews saying he is going Android and it will be something great and name the reasons, why it is so, then one could believe him... But this way? Not commenting isn't the way to go.
    07-31-15 02:16 PM
    To be silent when some bloggers out there declare BB OS10 as dead isn't good. It really hurts the company.

IF Chen goes full Android - and I really hope he wont - he should have told so and make it look like it's something positive. If he keeps it secret, and everyone writes negative comments on blogs and so on... Then it's really bad press. But if Chen would have given interviews saying he is going Android and it will be something great and name the reasons, why it is so, then one could believe him... But this way? Not commenting isn't the way to go.
    I'm sure if they had a definitive direction and a specific implementation they would announce it. Truth is, they are probably still working it out.

For all we know, they could decide it's not working at all.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-31-15 02:22 PM
    He's talking about IBM OS/2, which was intended to be a general use OS, but failed. It was superior (in my opinion) to Windows at the time, although it's synchronous que did seem to be its a achilles heel.
    It floundered in much the way BB10 is now - failing to gain widespread 3rd party application support.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah my bad, thought he was talking about uc/os 2

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 02:25 PM
    Well the QNX hypervisor is almost ready to go primetime. Read this article if your interested.

BB10 AND Android? How BlackBerry can have its cake and eat it ? The Register
    To me this sounds awesome! It's really like having and eating the cake

Only question is: Is it like a VM on the desktop, so you would have to use android navigations, etc. Or does is simply run apps?

Of cause if this would be the future at all...
    07-31-15 02:27 PM
    That hypervisor is a game changer though. Irrespective of which UI you prefer, the golden egg is that can effectively add a powerful layer of security to Android. Any Android owner or organisation that runs Android devices would be moving to BlackBerry Android handsets as they would be more secure. (if they care about security). That same hypervisor would be able to put an Android os into cars very effectively which would mean greater connectivity between the phone and the car due to features like google maps and google now. IOT would be greatly affected too as things in your home or office could be instructed via voice while you're stuck in traffic. The beautiful thing to consider is that you can slide any OS on top of BlackBerry 10. BlackBerry Windows phone for example. (not that I see a ready use for that, but i've only been thinking about it for five minutes.) the other feature of QNX that is often overlooked is it's ability to fail safe due to the micro kernel structure of the os.

If a hypervisor is what they are shooting for, I can see Google salivating at the prospect of integrating itself even more into the fabric of our lives. I don't think the OHA rules will matter if BlackBerry can get Google on side. What effect would that have on the mighty Apple?

Just speculating of course, but food for thought nonetheless. I sense a seed of something immense being closely guarded at BlackBerry.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    DJM626 likes this.
    07-31-15 02:30 PM
    If a hypervisor is what they are shooting for, I can see Google salivating at the prospect of integrating itself even more into the fabric of our lives. I don't think the OHA rules will matter if BlackBerry can get Google on side. What effect would that have on the mighty Apple?

J
    PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    Google is only one member of the OHA. Many of BlackBerry's competitors are also members who would be unlikely to allow BlackBerry this competitive advantage. I don't think Google would dismantle the OHA (even if they could contractually) over BlackBerry.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-31-15 02:33 PM

No copyright issues?

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 02:37 PM
    Google is only one member of the OHA. Many of BlackBerry's competitors are also members who would be unlikely to allow BlackBerry this competitive advantage. I don't think Google would dismantle the OHA (even if they could contractually) over BlackBerry.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Not unless a bunch of BlackBerry IP got added to the OHA alliance.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 02:42 PM
    Source? I thought IBM killed it off many years ago.
    They did but Serenity Systems, Inc. got IBM to allow them to relabel and sell OS/2 under the name eComStation. Check out www.ecomstation.com.

Posted via CB10
    LateToTheGame likes this.
    07-31-15 03:40 PM
    I'd say BlackBerry would stand a better chance on the market running Android. And if they manage to customize the UI to their users preference, it could be a real game changer for BlackBerry.

Even though I personally like BB10, they're kind of stuck in a dead end with that OS at the moment. The supply of Android apps is a workaround at best and it is rather disappointing. Device sales have been bad and they're not getting better. The newest device currently on the market has 2 year old specs and is for a rather specific target audience.

I'd say, on the long run we're either going to see BlackBerry succeeding in the Android market, or the handsets will disappear entirely at some point.

Posted via CB10
    Disappointing to say the least. I just want to have normal working apps..I'm sick of it.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 06:42 PM
    Reducing Hardware investing in software!!!
    07-31-15 06:47 PM
57 123