Will the app gap be closed? Or will people just moan and complain about them not being native apps?

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    01-15-14 10:04 AM
    Will the app gap be closed? Or will people just moan and ***** about them not being native apps?

It will be half and half. You will get the people that don't really care and just want the apps, and then you will get the people who prefer the native experience, because it is just better.

I would prefer the apps to be native personally, but for those who don't care, this is great.

Hopefully some of these apps will become native down the road.
    01-15-14 10:07 AM
    Many bbos10 users got their apk somewhere.

So, I'm curious what will happen if you install malware apk into bb10 os?

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk
    01-15-14 10:08 AM
    It will be half and half. You will get the people that don't really care and just want the apps, and then you will get the people who prefer the native experience, because it is just better.

I would prefer the apps to be native personally, but for those who don't care, this is great.

Not unless BlackBerry has a solid 3rd position will developers bother making their apps native. As long as the app runs smoothly and doesn't crash I don't really care if it's native to be honest.

01-15-14 10:09 AM
    So, I'm curious what will happen if you install malware apk into bb10 os?

So far I haven't seen anyone mention they have malware on their bb10 phone. We have been installing apks for months now.

01-15-14 10:11 AM
    Not unless BlackBerry has a solid 3rd position will developers bother making their apps native. As long as the app runs smoothly and doesn't crash I don't really care if it's native to be honest.

Yes. If they don't make the big three it wont happen, but hopefully this brings in more users. If the experience isn't just as good as an Android device and doesn't integrate across the board, it wont be very successful.
    01-15-14 10:12 AM

It depends on your point of view. If you can reach BB10 users with Google Play apps, why bother coding native apps? But, since developers aren't exactly supporting BB10 anyway, it's not as though BB10 users would be missing out on something that would otherwise come.
    01-15-14 10:14 AM
    So far I haven't seen anyone mention they have malware on their bb10 phone. We have been installing apks for months now.

Can you install android launcher too?

01-15-14 10:16 AM
    Will the app gap be closed? Or will people just moan and complain about them not being native apps?

Might be closed, but only problem will be receiving notification from them same as like getting them with native apps for example the toast notification, in lockscreen and hub. ( and im aware some apps do make notification in the hub, Some.) other than that will be nice to get google service.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 10:22 AM

There's a few threads on it. It sounds like mixed results, but I don't always check threads on that topic.

If you look in the BB10 Android Apps (APK Files) Forum, you should be able to find some threads addressing this.
    01-15-14 10:24 AM
    It depends on your point of view. If you can reach BB10 users with Google Play apps, why bother coding native apps? But, since developers aren't exactly supporting BB10 anyway, it's not as though BB10 users would be missing out on something that would otherwise come.
    This pretty much sums up the Android vs native situation right now.

Get the apps to hopefully bring in the people. (Ads required to advise populace the apps are there now, not BBRY's strong suit in past.)
    Once the people are there, we can start getting nitpicky then.
    bbmtna and dannykavs like this.
    01-15-14 10:30 AM

Not all apps work which is the problem. Many android apps crash From startup. But most mainstream apps like IG work which is a plus

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 10:34 AM

I made a thread a few weeks ago about launchers. I had nova running nicely

01-15-14 10:36 AM
    We will never get GSP, unless BB10 is thrown out the door and they adapt Android as their OS..

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 11:06 AM
    We will never get GSP, unless BB10 is thrown out the door and they adapt Android as their OS..

Posted via CB10
    never say never...

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    01-15-14 11:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, "never" is a long time. There have been many rumors around the possibility that Google may actually sign off and accept BB10's Android Runtime in the Open Handset Alliance. There's no solid news to confirm that at all, mind you, and it might all be fantasy, but seeing as Google did recently sign off on a Cyanogen Mod Oppo phone, I take that as an indication that the big G is ready to start thinking outside the box when it comes to "approved" Android implementations.
    Elite1 likes this.
    01-15-14 11:27 AM
    I understand it for an app or 2 but if it was given Google play and all android apps what's the point? Might as well get an android device.

Posted via CB10
    bbhuh likes this.
    01-15-14 11:35 AM
    I'll say this, it was pretty simple for me to get the 1Mobile market onto my phone but most people here on crackberry are not the typical user.

I think that if BlackBerry can get one of these markets to come installed on devices or get a android section into BlackBerry World then yeah mayb you can consider the app gap closed. I think it's just gonna depend on the user though. For me, I've loaded up Netflix, Chase, fifth third bank, and they all work surprisingly well but I can understand that some people may not want android apps on their device at all

I personally think it's great that I can get these apps I've been missing out on while still maintaining the BB10 experience but not matter how you cut it, BlackBerry is piggybacking off Android

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 12:21 PM

The app gap will officially be closed, in my opinion, for most consumers. For the real addicts, we'd still crave native apps, but I honestly think they improvements made to Android Run Time are making Android apps run much better than when I first got my Z10 almost a year ago. If BB continues to improve the runtime experience, I won't be as concerned about whether or not an app is native.
    01-15-14 12:25 PM
    The app gap will officially be closed, in my opinion, for most consumers. For the real addicts, we'd still crave native apps, but I honestly think they improvements made to Android Run Time are making Android apps run much better than when I first got my Z10 almost a year ago. If BB continues to improve the runtime experience, I won't be as concerned about whether or not an app is native.
    Yes, for the 99% it is good enough and they will hardly notice a difference.

01-15-14 01:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    why do you say that? i'm not sure that makes sense. SNAP is pulling google play data onto our device with no problem. now that apps are able to run in the background, i dont see why they can't make a "runtime" or something that will run as an android runtime to keep google services running??
    01-15-14 01:11 PM
    For the average consumer? I think there will be deficiencies.
    01-15-14 01:15 PM
    Yeah, "never" is a long time. There have been many rumors around the possibility that Google may actually sign off and accept BB10's Android Runtime in the Open Handset Alliance. There's no solid news to confirm that at all, mind you, and it might all be fantasy, but seeing as Google did recently sign off on a Cyanogen Mod Oppo phone, I take that as an indication that the big G is ready to start thinking outside the box when it comes to "approved" Android implementations.
    Okay, fair point.. maybe i shouldn't say never because from a business stand point how do you grow your business once you've reached as many consumers as you can.. only then will we see Google services on other devices
    01-15-14 01:33 PM

I will be looking for another platform because I don't want or like Android (switched from Android to a BB Curve a couple of years ago) nor do I want all of those Google Services anywhere near my phone. If BB10 turns into a hybrid Android then I'm out. Even though the implementation is decent in 10.2.1 and they run well enough, I don't like non- native apps, nor do I like loading up on apps with inconsistent UIs that take away from one of the biggest reasons I got a BB10 device in the first place: BlackBerry Flow and cascades. If I wanted all of those android apps I would get an android phone but that's just me.
    anon8091350 likes this.
    01-15-14 01:49 PM
    I will be looking for another platform because I don't want or like Android (switched from Android to a BB Curve a couple of years ago) nor do I want all of those Google Services anywhere near my phone. If BB10 turns into a hybrid Android then I'm out. Even though the implementation is decent in 10.2.1 and they run well enough, I don't like non- native apps, nor do I like loading up on apps with inconsistent UIs that take away from one of the biggest reasons I got a BB10 device in the first place: BlackBerry Flow and cascades. If I wanted all of those android apps I would get an android phone but that's just me.
    I can understand this perspective.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-15-14 01:53 PM
112 123 ...