I was reading the thread asking whether the peek feature in bb10 is useful and it got me thinking. First, I think it's pretty useful for me as is. But there is also value of peek in terms of the potential of what it can become.

First some context... I'm using a q10 with pure black wallpapaper. Breaking down the action... you start with a swipe up from the bottom. This puts my hand right in the middle of the perfectly square screen. From here there are 5 orthagonal directions I can move my thumb.

1. Up off the screen: this takes me into the active frames.
    2. Down back towards the keyboard: this takes me back into the app
    3. Right: this allows me to peek into the hub and flow right into it.
    4. Up to the top of the screen: potential
    5. Left: more potential

So I'm playing around and have a pure black wallpaper, and it became really apparent how much space there is to add useful stuff. So here's my idea (not saying I'm the first, but I haven't heard it anywhere else): place small, semi-transparent icons towards the edges of the left and top of the screen. These would act as entry points into some of the user's most frequently used apps (i.e. A custom favorites list). You would then be able to continue your one handed thumb motion toward an icon, placing it on top, lighting up the icon. You could then bring your thumb up off the screen, which would trigger the app to load full screen. You could put stuff like phone, camera, bbm, cb10... your most important apps, and have those available anytime with one single handed motion.

What do you guys think? Any other idea on how to build upon peek?

Posted via CB10
    DragonFlyer likes this.
    07-11-13 11:14 PM
    Some neat ideas.. personally, I think adding extra gestures would make the learning curve too steep for some, and start to clutter of the OS.. BUT I would like to see these api's open up so that dev's can make 3rd party apps people could install to customize the OS and get these types of features if they want them.
    07-11-13 11:20 PM
    *Peek

Sorry couldn't help but point it out.

Posted via CB10
    yelmonster likes this.
    07-11-13 11:21 PM
    Excellent idea. It would be like programming soft keys on a keyboard. BlackBerry needs to hear your idea and run with it.
    07-11-13 11:24 PM
    I like this idea, BlackBerry should think about it !

Posted with my Z10...
    07-12-13 01:19 AM
    It's too good of an idea that BlackBerry won't do it

Maybe in bb11

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 03:14 AM
    *Peek

Sorry couldn't help but point it out.

Posted via CB10
    Fixed the content. How do I edit the title?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by robmac81; 07-13-13 at 08:34 AM.
    07-12-13 06:16 AM
    I was thinking a bit more about the "clutter" issue. Currently the open app gets smaller as you move your thumb up. When you get to the middle of the screen, it stops getting smaller. People love sexy fluid animations as part of their smartphone experience, and here's an opportunity to deliver that in a real functional way. As you bring your thumb further up past the halfway point, continue to shrink the open app but at an accelerated pace. Bring down the "quick launch" icons in a swooping motion as if it's coming down from above and the top of the phone as it meets your thumb. Maybe only use the quick launch for the up motion, reserving something even cooler for the left motion.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 06:32 AM
    Anyone know how to submit feature ideas to Blackberry? I think extending peek to launch apps makes a lot of sense.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 08:39 AM
    Good thing I saw this thread, other wise I was just goign to make a new one.

But if there's a way, I think making the HUB interactive as you peak would be helpful. This would be an enhanced version of peak. As you can see what you want to, to see if you want to reply to it or not.
    07-13-13 11:23 AM
    Good thing I saw this thread, other wise I was just goign to make a new one.

But if there's a way, I think making the HUB interactive as you peak would be helpful. This would be an enhanced version of peak. As you can see what you want to, to see if you want to reply to it or not.
    Ok so actionable notifications are probably gonna sort that side of it for ya. As for making 'peek' do anything else that would mean changing what peek means in the dictionary lol

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 11:28 AM
    I think its a great idea!

BB Z10 rocks.
    07-13-13 11:59 AM