View Poll Results: Would you upgrade to BB7 if it didn't cost you your carrier discount?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

51 89.47%
  • No

6 10.53%
    Do they not already have a trade in program (RIM) already?
    It's crap though. They need to do something special to take advantage of their excess inventory and also get people to buy BB7 phones while waiting for BB10 phones.

My parents both have BB Tours (I know, crazy!!) and they are happy with them because they aren't tech people at all. They would absolutely upgrade to a 9930 if it was free with 2 year contract from Verizon. However, they are just sitting there with an old outdated crappy BB and their opinion of BB is probably dropping a little each day.

Edit: For the record, the 9930 is listed as $229.99 with 2 year deal from Verizon. That is absurd and no wonder no one is buying them.
    06-01-12 11:28 AM
    It's crap though. They need to do something special to take advantage of their excess inventory and also get people to buy BB7 phones while waiting for BB10 phones.

My parents both have BB Tours (I know, crazy!!) and they are happy with them because they aren't tech people at all. They would absolutely upgrade to a 9930 if it was free with 2 year contract from Verizon. However, they are just sitting there with an old outdated crappy BB and their opinion of BB is probably dropping a little each day.

Edit: For the record, the 9930 is listed as $229.99 with 2 year deal from Verizon. That is absurd and no wonder no one is buying them.

$229 on a 2-year term is ********. You would maybe save 50 bucks trading up from a 9780, anything older and good luck. It's $74/ 3-year term here. Not sure about other carriers though.

Sent from my fingers on a 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-01-12 12:02 PM

On Amazon, the 9900/30 is going for $80 on 2yr contract with At&t, Verizon, and Sprint

Not bad at all.

Amazon.com: bold 9930 Cell Phones With Service Plans
    06-01-12 12:09 PM
    Do they not already have a trade in program (RIM) already?
    Yes, but doesn't it require contract renewal and therefore using up your contract discount?

On Amazon, the 9900/30 is going for $80 on 2yr contract with At&t, Verizon, and Sprint

Not bad at all.

Amazon.com: bold 9930 Cell Phones With Service Plans
    There are many deals out there right now that all involve creating/renewing a contract. My point is that there are many of us who are sitting on our contract discount waiting for BB10 while the warehouses are apparently full of BB7 devices. What I'm proposing is something that is not available to us consumers at this point. Like I said before, I am waiting to use my discount and renew my contract agreement with the purchase of a BB10 phone. If I can get a deeply discounted BB7 phone off-contract right now, I would completely jump all over that.
    06-01-12 12:27 PM
    @louzer - I don't think so, I am not on a contract, but my carrier keeps sending me inserts (mail both e and snail) about getting a Galaxy for nothing or a Bold for the amount I mentioned before.

In your case it may not make sense, cause you will want to save your upgrade for BB10, but you also want a new device for a few months? You can buy a used OS 7 device and then you (or someone else in the same boat) could use that one until you are ready to upgrade.

Weird situation to be in. RIM's trade up program isn't connected to any carrier, but again, why burn your discount if you really do not want to.
    06-01-12 12:55 PM
    In your case it may not make sense, cause you will want to save your upgrade for BB10, but you also want a new device for a few months? You can buy a used OS 7 device and then you (or someone else in the same boat) could use that one until you are ready to upgrade.

Weird situation to be in. RIM's trade up program isn't connected to any carrier, but again, why burn your discount if you really do not want to.
    I'm with Sprint who traditionally is the last to get 'new' devices. Since Sprint is the 'small' CDMA' carrier in the US, Verizon (the other CDMA carrier) always gets the good phones first. It took about a year after Verizon got the 9650 for it to come to Sprint.

So my thoughts are that the first BB10 phone will be GSM so that it can be sold internationally as well as through AT&T in the US. It will probably be a few months later until a CDMA (and probably LTE) phone comes to Verizon. If that's the case, it could be at least a year after the launch of BB10 before Sprint sees a BB10 phone.

Therefore, if I were to be able to buy a BB7 phone right now directly from RIM at a discount, I would be able to jump to BB10 when it comes available instead of 2 years from now.
    06-01-12 08:32 PM
    I just ordered a 9930 and plan to upgrade to a BB10 phone down the road. God willing and RIM surviving of course.

I held out as long as I could but couldn't resist buying the 9930.
    06-01-12 08:53 PM
    Louzer, this is an excellent idea you've brought forward!
    ...I bought my Playbook direct from RIM so why not a phone.
    ...If a person is already with a carrier and have a number they could simply put that # on the OS7 device!

You should be rewarded for thinking of this!
    06-01-12 09:18 PM
    In all honesty, no, not at the moment. I'll wait for BB10, make sure it delivers and make sure RIM are viable before spending more money. For me it makes sense just to wait.
    06-01-12 09:19 PM
    I owned a 9800 and really enjoyed it except for the browser. I still have 1.5 year before I can use upgrade and I was going to wait until BB10 but instead of continuing my frustration and complaining, I decided to buy an unlock 9860 ($340) back in January. I thought since the first line of BB10's won't have physical keyboard, I better start training myself to the virtual keyboard. Although there are many things I like about 9860 the one thing I do still miss, is my physical keyboard. Even though I still plan to jump on BB10 in the fall, if I could get a unlocked 9930 from RIM for $99 I'd be the first in line to place my order. Everyone that I know who has a bold, loves it. Give me a cheap bold now and I'll still upgrade to BB10 when it launches.
    06-01-12 09:50 PM
    Same boat really. Bought my 9860 for $350 used, love it and its great screen but definitely would like a keyboard back. Since I saw the Blade concept I have fallen in love. That would be my ideal phone.
    kozmo68 and BlackStormRising like this.
    06-01-12 10:08 PM
    I can't imagine why RIM would not unload the billion dollars of phone inventory the same way they did with the Playbook. I would definitely by a Bold 9900 for $299.00 to hold me over until a handset with OS10 and a keyboard is released. Maybe fear of carrier reprisal? I bought my 64gb Playbook for $299.00 and I am still using my Bold 9000! I love RIM products, but $400 - 549.00 for a off contract phone is a little too much money for me. Great idea, hopefully RIM jumps on it in the US.
    06-01-12 10:11 PM
    Well if it is really good, then yes I would.... but then again, BB 10 still would be a BlackBerry! It is not an Android or an iPhone where the resell value would retain bit longer. It's not a Toyota, it will be a Ford.
    06-01-12 10:16 PM
    I would definitely!!! BB7 is an exceptional eveything. Phone, planner and PARTNER!!!!!!!!
    06-01-12 10:24 PM
    I definitely would get another BB7, i.e. 9900. I can still keep my 9810 as a back up and use it to trade up the new BB10. So, my vote is a big yes!
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-01-12 10:34 PM
    I definitely would get another BB7, i.e. 9900. I can still keep my 9810 as a back up and use it to trade up the new BB10. So, my vote is a big yes!
    ^^^^^^

+1 ...... Me too!!
    Last edited by jafobabe; 06-01-12 at 11:22 PM.
    06-01-12 11:16 PM
    Same boat really. Bought my 9860 for $350 used, love it and its great screen but definitely would like a keyboard back. Since I saw the Blade concept I have fallen in love. That would be my ideal phone.
    I totally agree, the blade is a sexy sexy phone, I'd totally buy that at a drop of the hat.
    06-02-12 12:33 AM
    Guys - some of you are recycling the urban myth that BlackBerry devices are NOT selling. That's rubbish - sales are really healthy. If WE keep saying it WE will just make the matter worse!

Osh
    06-02-12 03:42 AM
    I listened to the Crackberry podcast from yesterday and a few interesting things jumped out at me.

First of all, one of the major problems is the hefty inventory writedown and it's effect on RIM's books.

Second is that RIM user drop-off has to be stemmed so that there is a reasonable user base willing to stick with RIM once the new devices come out.

Third is Chris U's statement that prior to the call, the only real unknown was the slope of the revenue loss being the real determinant as to how much time RIM has left.

This got me thinking. BB7 phones are not selling because a) RIM is no longer the 'cool' brand, b) other OSs have functionality that does not exist on BB7, and c) people who are holding on are waiting for BB10 and not wanting to jump into BB7 (especially if it means eating their carrier subsidy for 2-3 years).

So here's my suggestion. If RIM has an abundance of BB7 phones in inventory, instead of writing them down to zero, sell them directly to consumers at carrier-subsidised prices. So instead of having to pay 600.00 for a Bold 99x0 or Torch 98x0, you'd pay them 199.00.

This way, people who have not upgraded to BB7 yet (and there are quite a few out here) would be able to give BB7 a try without having to use their carrier discount in advance of the release of BB10.

So my question is: Would you upgrade to BB7 if you were still able to exercise your carrier discount once BB10 comes out?
    I agree completely. I just think current bb are just too expensive. Cut pricing and push them out the door.
    06-02-12 06:47 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD