Dual boot.

Allow the user to boot into either an android OS or blackberry 10 OS. Have this selection when the phone is first turned on.

How cool would that be? It would solve all problems for a number of users that enjoy the BB10 experience and users that like playing with Android apps.

If Blackberry gets this done they will be #1 again.

They need to implement this in Neon, Argon, and Mercury.
    Bonnie Bonzai and kjtaylor1 like this.
    09-07-16 11:22 AM
    But they can't. Google doesn't look kindly on dual booting kosher Android with something else.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    09-07-16 11:25 AM
    Problem solved, I'm surprised no one else has ever mentioned this
    09-07-16 11:42 AM
    And if they ever do it,,you'd be the first one in the line bashing chen about $900 phone. Blackberry was, is and will be great forever because it has got the most hardcore fans that love the brand from the bottom of their hearts.

Posted via CB10
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    09-07-16 11:46 AM
    Not sure what that means. Having the option to boot into 2 different OS's seems to be perfectly fine without repercussions.

Many users do it with Apple and Windows OS's.
    09-07-16 11:46 AM
    I get BlackBerry phones through my work with the government. Of course we have many fans, but to attract apple and android users, they should really look into having this option and making it work.
    09-07-16 11:49 AM
    Not sure what that means. Having the option to boot into 2 different OS's seems to be perfectly fine without repercussions.

Many users do it with Apple and Windows OS's.
    It means Google doesn't like it.

If BlackBerry wanted to, they could use some irrelevant fork of Android like what Amazon has, and dual boot that with BB10, but that would put them in a deeper hole than adopting regular, Google-certified (Play Store, Play Services) Android.
    09-07-16 11:57 AM
    Doing this isn't going to attract anyone to a phone anyway besides BB10 users who want both on a phone. Why would Android users want a dual boot phone of an OS that they don't want?
    Elephant_Canyon and Bbnivende like this.
    09-07-16 11:59 AM
    Dual boot.

Allow the user to boot into either an android OS or blackberry 10 OS. Have this selection when the phone is first turned on.

How cool would that be? It would solve all problems for a number of users that enjoy the BB10 experience and users that like playing with Android apps.

Horrible idea IMHO. Who wants a brutally slow boot-up process to change over. Now if I were given the OPTION of one or the other OS at first use or during a factory re-install then I may change my mind.
    09-07-16 12:08 PM
    Doing this isn't going to attract anyone to a phone anyway besides BB10 users who want both on a phone. Why would Android users want a dual boot phone of an OS that they don't want?
    It was a suggestion. I mean, BlackBerry can find a more friendlier user experience. Maybe have an option in the beginning to select which operating system they would prefer or have both. I don't think performance would be an issue, unless BlackBerry decides to release outdated hardware that is unable to sustain this option. I think many Android Samsung users would love the idea having a physical QWERTY keyboard with an Android platform (Mercury?). Again, really depends on the design, specifications(expandable memory!) and price-point of their new hardware. Having the flexibility of choosing between operating systems would be fantastic if they found a way to make it work.

I know a lot of users that are unhappy with Samsung and Apple in terms of innovation (Apple shares are down!).
    09-07-16 01:11 PM
    Huawei tried to do just that with Windows and Android, and it never came to fruition. In that particular case, Microsoft shot it down with a threat to remove their licensing. And while Google didn't outright tell them they couldn't do it, they made it very clear that the OHA agreement would be breached and would lose their ability to distribute OHA certified devices.

So in a nutshell, in theory BBRY could do it, but they'd lose their OHA membership and could no longer sell Android devices that have Google Play Services, access to the Play Store, etc... Which would put them right back in the situation they just dug themselves out of. Instead of having a BB10 device with a gimped version of Android built in, they'd have a BB10 device with an option to boot into a gimped version of Android. Which would be even less appealing than the previous BB10 Android offerings, because instead of having an integrated Android environment, you'd have to reboot every time you want to run a limited supply of Android apps. On top of that, they'd no longer be able to sell their current Android offerings.
    09-07-16 02:21 PM
    I think many Android Samsung users would love the idea having a physical QWERTY keyboard with an Android platform (Mercury?).
    Why would you think this? There used to be Android phones with physical keyboards. They did not prove to be a market success, which is why you don't see them anymore.
    09-07-16 02:22 PM
    Unless you're talking about providing this dual boot option for existing, BB10 phones, it won't happen.

They won't ever make a new BB10 device. Chen already explained how expensive it is for them to build custom BB10 drivers for new hardware. That's why almost all of the BB10 devices used the same hardware.

BlackBerry lost billions upon billions and never made a single cent of profit on anything to do with BB10. I love the OS to death, but you gotta accept that it's dead. BlackBerry is never going to touch it again. Except maybe some security updates. And at this point, I'm doubtful that will ever happen either.

Posted via CB10
    wojt7 likes this.
    09-07-16 02:31 PM
    I think many Android Samsung users would love the idea having a physical QWERTY keyboard with an Android platform (Mercury?).

I know a lot of users that are unhappy with Samsung and Apple in terms of innovation (Apple shares are down!).
    Hardware keyboards have proven time and again (and again and again and again) that it's the very last consideration in smartphone sales. Physical keyboard lovers is a niche/dying breed. Barely anybody (with the exception of diehard fans) gives them a second thought.

When it comes to innovation, Apple and Samsung seem to be the only manufacturers that are even attempting to innovate. Apple has slacked recently, but shares being down isn't a reliable measure. Shares are based on profit and dividends, and Apple isn't exactly sucking in that department. Innovation is merely an indirect influence. Their shares values are still sky high, despite dips (which can't be said about BBRY devices). Samsung is innovating all the time as well. Their S-Pen advancements alone are popular, curved 'edge' screens are being adopted, and their software suite is maturing and rapidly becoming adopted. What more could they expect?
    09-07-16 04:02 PM
    I do think there is a market for a small pocket friendly Android with a BlackBerry keyboard. Not big enough for the major players but big enough to not be a loss generator.

Not big enough for carriers but big enough for online sales.
    09-07-16 04:24 PM
    Modular phone with keyboard that can detach. Runs android.
    Once keyboard is detached it must look like most slab phones. Maybe 3:2 ratio. Maybe a built in kick stand. Now add accessories... wire less keyboard, mouse, maybe some different types of attachable devices like special camera etc. Again while always being BlackBerry.

Also give options to mix colors with keyboards and accessories.
    Accessories
    - bar scanner
    - camera over and above stock camera
    - sketch pad
    - list goes on

Make one retro blacked out version. Others add color. Come on BlackBerry.. lets get creative. Can be a business phone while being exciting at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-16 04:38 PM
    Dual boot.

Not possible unless BlackBerry decides to leave the OHA. But then what is the point, the Android part would not have Google Play Services. One of the main reasons they went to Android was to provide a rich app eco system.
    09-07-16 04:57 PM
    Dual boot.

That would be excellent! It'd probably cost too much . . . but great nonetheless!
    09-08-16 07:42 AM
    I do think there is a market for a small pocket friendly Android with a BlackBerry keyboard. Not big enough for the major players but big enough to not be a loss generator.

Not big enough for carriers but big enough for online sales.
    I doubt it.
    The few Android PKB fans that I can find, can not stand the Blackberry PKB.
    09-11-16 09:33 PM
    False. It won't resolve BlackBerry problem.
    Marketing Team should be changed.
    Chen should be changed.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-16 12:05 AM
    Hardware keyboards have proven time and again (and again and again and again) that it's the very last consideration in smartphone sales. Physical keyboard lovers is a niche/dying breed. Barely anybody (with the exception of diehard fans) gives them a second thought.

When it comes to innovation, Apple and Samsung seem to be the only manufacturers that are even attempting to innovate. Apple has slacked recently, but shares being down isn't a reliable measure. Shares are based on profit and dividends, and Apple isn't exactly sucking in that department. Innovation is merely an indirect influence. Their shares values are still sky high, despite dips (which can't be said about BBRY devices). Samsung is innovating all the time as well. Their S-Pen advancements alone are popular, curved 'edge' screens are being adopted, and their software suite is maturing and rapidly becoming adopted. What more could they expect?
    Giving the same hardware over n over with some minor software changes,how is that even considered an innovation? From iphone7 it became clear that isheeps would purchase anything that apple has to offer. Innovation is touch sensitive keyboard,the slider form factor in 2016,innovation is making android more user friendly with some bb10 coat over it. Next year apple would bring the headphone jack back and they will say look we revolutionised the industry again.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-16 12:20 AM