What if you could type a full text message in English and then just touch a selection for a different language that would convert your text message to any language. Vice versa. Also you could translate a text message in a different language by selecting your own language. Just an idea. Not sure if they already have this.
    12-12-12 04:10 PM
    Interesting idea. I find google translate works well but the way things have been going the last week doesnt sound like that will get anywhere close to a blackberry
    12-12-12 04:34 PM
    As a bi-lingual person, I can say without a shaddow of a doubt, Google Translate, for anything but short phrases, SUCKS !!!

So with that in mind, despite being a great idea and future prospect OP, considering Google's gazillions of dollars available for software development, with them not being able to provide a full translation matrix, I cannot see RIM getting this flying in any meaningful way.

Nice idea, but no, just no! In this particular case, I'd have to say that it's better not to even try, than endure the painful blog posts that would follow such a venture.

Si.
    12-12-12 04:46 PM
    I think where Google Translate falls short is that it is unable to factor in the small nuances of different languages and common dialogue that people use (for example, a person using the word "desert" for two different reasons). Thus, when trying to translate a sentence or phrase into a different language, Google basically does a face-value translation that can provide mixed results.

I think what made Siri so appealing is that fact that the system can recognize slang and casual vernacular from the user (at least in English; I can only speak one language so I'm not sure how well she does in other languages). If RIM were to develop a similar system that recognizes these small details, like the upcoming software keyboard recognizes when a user wants to use a different language and seamlessly switches dictionaries to that language, then I think that the OP's idea might work. Either way, IF RIM is able to pull this off, I think it'll further help people realize that RIM (and QNX) is here to stay.
    Mr_F likes this.
    12-12-12 05:12 PM
    I think where Google Translate falls short is that it is unable to factor in the small nuances of different languages and common dialogue that people use (for example, a person using the word "desert" for two different reasons). Thus, when trying to translate a sentence or phrase into a different language, Google basically does a face-value translation that can provide mixed results.

I think what made Siri so appealing is that fact that the system can recognize slang and casual vernacular from the user (at least in English; I can only speak one language so I'm not sure how well she does in other languages). If RIM were to develop a similar system that recognizes these small details, like the upcoming software keyboard recognizes when a user wants to use a different language and seamlessly switches dictionaries to that language, then I think that the OP's idea might work. Either way, IF RIM is able to pull this off, I think it'll further help people realize that RIM (and QNX) is here to stay.
    I agree.

RIM announced that the new BB10 keyboard will learn and adapt to individual nuances. So providing they own the IP for the adaptive/learning bit (and not SwiftKey) then I see no reason why those resources couldn't be shared with some sort of native translator to do a more contextual (thus more accurate) translation.

It could be a real selling point for your typical 'power user' - effortlessly responding to an email in the native language of the sender courtesy of a quick peek, gesture swipe to the Hub, and then instant translate via the new keyboard. I for one would be very interested in that...
    12-12-12 07:03 PM
    As a bi-lingual person, I can say without a shaddow of a doubt, Google Translate, for anything but short phrases, SUCKS !!!

So with that in mind, despite being a great idea and future prospect OP, considering Google's gazillions of dollars available for software development, with them not being able to provide a full translation matrix, I cannot see RIM getting this flying in any meaningful way.

Nice idea, but no, just no! In this particular case, I'd have to say that it's better not to even try, than endure the painful blog posts that would follow such a venture.

Si.
    And I'm bi-lingual too. Been out of the country for almost two months now in europe. This is after my month long trip to asia. Yes I have used google translate lately. Of course it doesn't pick up the small things. It does a good job of getting the main point accross though. And the OP was asking about text messages not novels. And it doesn't have to be google translate either I said it as an idea now the thread seems to be based around it. RIM could buy another renowned company for this.
    Last edited by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes; 12-12-12 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    12-12-12 07:12 PM
    good idea but i agree need better translation software to make it work IMO. google is a little lacking there
    12-12-12 07:15 PM