I feel like this is a perfect acquisition for BlackBerry, consistent with their security and home IOT platform going forward. They could continue the concept and harden it with qnx on the backend to make it more secure then ever.
    11-29-16 05:00 PM
    RIM and RING... ? ;-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    Wrec likes this.
    11-29-16 05:12 PM
    Why? They could just build their own. Not exactly a unique offering. Also, Ring is well into $100M in funding - https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/ring. Ring offers nothing BlackBerry needs. One could even go so far as to say it's the exact opposite of what they want - hardware - and that's without even looking at the logic that they would then be a direct hardware competitor to those very hardware suppliers they're looking to secure.
    11-29-16 05:14 PM
    Thats like finding your way out of a cave and then going back into another one. Hardware is a huge money sink so no go for Blackberry.

Speaking of hardware, whatever happened to Blackberry and NantHealth's HBox . News of that went dead quick.
    11-29-16 05:30 PM
    When BB says they want out of hardware, I think they really mean phones. Their first IoT product is a combination of hardware, software and service. From that perspective, Ring could make sense.

But the question I have is why would Ring agree to such an acquisition?
    11-29-16 05:42 PM
    When BB says they want out of hardware, I think they really mean phones. Their first IoT product is a combination of hardware, software and service. From that perspective, Ring could make sense.

But the question I have is why would Ring agree to such an acquisition?
    Yep, they have that box that tracks freight so they still technically DO hardware.
    11-29-16 06:01 PM
    Yep, they have that box that tracks freight so they still technically DO hardware.
    That's what he's talking about. And I agree but that's also not consumer hardware. That's hardware that commands a heavy asking price not hardware that can be picked up at The Home Depot for $169 lol.
    11-29-16 06:02 PM
    That's what he's talking about. And I agree but that's also not consumer hardware. That's hardware that commands a heavy asking price not hardware that can be picked up at The Home Depot for $169 lol.
    Yes, that's a good point. Consumer hardware is probably not a good fit for BB.

In any case, I can't see Ring's investors going for this idea unless and until they are failing.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 11-29-16 at 08:03 PM.
    11-29-16 06:07 PM
    Agree 100% and I never mentioned "consumer" .
    11-29-16 07:54 PM
    Why? They could just build their own. Not exactly a unique offering. Also, Ring is well into $100M in funding - https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/ring. Ring offers nothing BlackBerry needs. One could even go so far as to say it's the exact opposite of what they want - hardware - and that's without even looking at the logic that they would then be a direct hardware competitor to those very hardware suppliers they're looking to secure.
    Its a gateway to a home software/iot/cloud/secure consumer home platform. There is huge potential with this. Just my opinion.
    11-29-16 09:00 PM
    RIM and RING... ? ;-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    Worst ice cream ever!
    11-29-16 09:12 PM
    Ring's management is very adamant about "going it alone" - they refuse to even embrace any of the IoT management standards that would allow Ring doorbells to be integrated into a "smart home." They have no interest in collaborations, and so I doubt very much they want to be acquired either, as they think they'll be a big success all by themselves, and want to be in control if/when that happens.
    11-30-16 11:15 AM