I bought this blackberry off Ebay (Mercadolibre Mexico) And the seller said it was PIN free and had BIS activated for any part of the world.. I bought and tried to registerd it:

It says in spanish that the BIS is deactivated.. Is 1am in the morning. I will call the seller later..
    01-22-11 12:49 AM
    You bought a blackberry.... not a data plan... you need to sign up for a blackberry data plan with a provider where you are... exactly what does pin free mean? meaning has no pin? whats the make of your blackberry? if it has a tv then that my friend is not a blackberry

on my 9700 running os 6 .... go to options > device > about device version
    and it has there the device model and os information etc...
    or even better post a picture of what you have and maybe one of us can help figure it out what you have
    01-22-11 03:16 AM
    A bit more, the box says that the blackberry internet service account has been suspended or deactivated, and to please contact amx telcel mexico if you are a corporate user.

Did the seller gave you his username and password? Or you tried to create another account? Because when you try to create a new account on a device that is already registered you dont get that message, you just get that its already registered, not that the account is suspended, and for what i read "no se puede crear la cuenta" you tried to create a new one.
    01-22-11 03:25 AM
    You bought a blackberry.... not a data plan... you need to sign up for a blackberry data plan with a provider where you are... exactly what does pin free mean? meaning has no pin? whats the make of your blackberry? if it has a tv then that my friend is not a blackberry

on my 9700 running os 6 .... go to options > device > about device version
    and it has there the device model and os information etc...
    or even better post a picture of what you have and maybe one of us can help figure it out what you have
    Just curious, but where in the OP did it say it had a "tv"?
    01-22-11 06:21 AM
    Just curious, but where in the OP did it say it had a "tv"?
    hence the use of the word "if"
    01-22-11 06:58 AM
    I would take it down to your service provider, get a data plan and have them set it up for you.
    01-22-11 09:32 AM
    I contracted the data plan and tried to register it and this appears..

I have internet, everything works except the BIS.
    01-22-11 09:48 AM
    A bit more, the box says that the blackberry internet service account has been suspended or deactivated, and to please contact amx telcel mexico if you are a corporate user.

Did the seller gave you his username and password? Or you tried to create another account? Because when you try to create a new account on a device that is already registered you dont get that message, you just get that its already registered, not that the account is suspended, and for what i read "no se puede crear la cuenta" you tried to create a new one.
    I'm really afraid of this

Are you 100% sure?

PS: Yes. I tried to create a new account
    Last edited by regulardude; 01-22-11 at 09:54 AM.
    01-22-11 09:50 AM
    I'll try to get my money back.. I am really really pissed off right now so i'll call the guy in the afternoon
    01-22-11 10:08 AM
    HI, When I first bought my blackberry with orange on pay monthly contract everything was connected and working i.e. WAP but the device was saying that BIS is not connected.

Turns out my provider had me on a non-blackberry plan.... I called them, they spotted it and changed it over for me and now BIS is connected and the phone was fully functional.

Maybe you should contact your service provider and have them verify you are connected correctly, tell them your device is saying your not connected to BIS.
    01-22-11 10:38 AM
    HI, When I first bought my blackberry with orange on pay monthly contract everything was connected and working i.e. WAP but the device was saying that BIS is not connected.

Turns out my provider had me on a non-blackberry plan.... I called them, they spotted it and changed it over for me and now BIS is connected and the phone was fully functional.

Maybe you should contact your service provider and have them verify you are connected correctly, tell them your device is saying your not connected to BIS.
    I contacted Telcel (My provider) and they tried to set me up an account but they said that the IMEI and PIN have an inconsistency and I already have the Blackberry data plan set up (WAP is working fine and they checked and it is a Blackberry data plan)

The thing is that neither they and I can create the BIS related account (telcel.blackberry.com)

Your one said that it was Deactivated or disabled??
    01-22-11 11:29 AM
    Are you sure the original owner had the PIN released?
    01-22-11 06:03 PM
    I contacted Telcel (My provider) and they tried to set me up an account but they said that the IMEI and PIN have an inconsistency and I already have the Blackberry data plan set up (WAP is working fine and they checked and it is a Blackberry data plan)

The thing is that neither they and I can create the BIS related account (telcel.blackberry.com)

Your one said that it was Deactivated or disabled??
    If you used PayPay, file a dispute to halt payment.

Software exists to alter the IMEI/PIN numbers to attempt to conceal the history of the device.

The odds are good, you are in receipt of stolen property.
    01-22-11 06:14 PM
    If you used PayPay, file a dispute to halt payment.

Software exists to alter the IMEI/PIN numbers to attempt to conceal the history of the device.

The odds are good, you are in receipt of stolen property.
    No PayPal was used in the buying.

Yep. I surely am. But he took full responsibility and he's going to give me my money back and I'm gonna return this 9700
    01-23-11 12:55 AM
    Are you sure the original owner had the PIN released?
    Not sure.

I live in M�xico, and it was AT&T branded so surely it was reported as stolen in the States..
    01-23-11 12:55 AM
    Should I go for an used 9700 (Local branded this time for active BIS) or should I go safe buying a brand new 9300?
    01-23-11 12:57 AM
    What I would strongly recommend:

Test it out before buying, go to options > status and type TEST, test everything. Then ask the owner to check with the carrier at the store to verify it's not blacklisted/blocked. That's how to be sure you don't get scammed. ANY hesitation should ring a bell or a warning signal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-11 03:25 AM

Test it out before buying, go to options > status and type TEST, test everything. Then ask the owner to check with the carrier at the store to verify it's not blacklisted/blocked. That's how to be sure you don't get scammed. ANY hesitation should ring a bell or a warning signal.

Well this time I'll try to find a Local branded BB and ask for the pin and IMEI. To register my BB account first with the provider.

I can't test it myself because it's on ebay
    01-23-11 11:13 AM

GSM: Get the PIN and the IMEI from the owner and check that to see if the device was reported as stolen.

CDMA: Get the ESN and call the provider and see if it was marked as stolen.

9300 is cheap as ****. If it suits what you need I'd go for that. I know as a business user I only have to pay $29 for a 9300 from T-Mobile (AT&T gives us $100 off Blackberries, so a Torch on Contract would be free, for example).

This is the same reason I'm uber skeptical of buying used iPhones as well.

In the US there is no intercarrier IMEI blacklist like in Europe, so phones can typically be stolen adn sold without any reprocussions - except iPhones and Blackberries. Apple and RIM can block the Serial Numbers and PINs.

CDMA phones don't have this issue because hte carrier will block the ESN when the phone is reported, since they don't use SIM cards unless they are world phones (but any Blackberry will still have its PIN blocked, or iPhone Serial Number).
    01-23-11 02:37 PM
    I would buy it used from a cellphone repair shop. They have blackberries too, if you don't care about specs and just need e-mail, by all means, $90 is worth it.

01-23-11 06:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD