Reading the announcement just now, I was thinking that maybe Chen thought outside the box

For years, people have been complaining that BlackBerry hardware is, to put it lightly, underpowered. I personally think my Z10's hardware is still relevant, but we all know that the next BlackBerry is not going to sport 64-bit octa-core CPU with high end GPU and 4GB RAM, that s**t is going to cost thousands

By making BlackBerry 10 overlays available on Android and iPhone, Chen basically outsources the hardware making and app ecosystem to Samsung and Apple, so you have the BlackBerry 10 features we all know and love, along with high end specs and all the apps you could ever want. It's like having the cake and eating it too!

I think BlackBerry devices will still be available: nothing can beat BlackBerry on physical keyboard after all (and the virtual keyboard is awesome too!) but if this move succeeds, you might see BlackBerry software everywhere, and that, I think, is better

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    03-01-15 11:37 PM
    Good point! Agreed with you, we just need to see how this will do before making a judgement

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    03-01-15 11:41 PM
    Exciting times are on the horizon!

Z30 STA 100-3 /10.3.1.2267
    03-01-15 11:46 PM
    Yes. But people forget that this software isn't free. Look at how the average android user isn't willing to pay for any apps period. You think they'll pay subscriptions to use BlackBerry 10 software? Doubt it.

Posted via CB10
    THBW, sentimentGX4, Rello and 5 others like this.
    03-02-15 12:47 AM
    Nothing comes free and BlackBerry is in no position to give out free software. I'm sure they have some kind of income generating ideas for these services or else they wouldn't waste resources to make it. Just like BBM, they monetize the service by adding channels and stickers store to generate a new kind of revenue stream. The people at BlackBerry are cooking up something and we shouldn't be quick to judge them this early.

Yes. But people forget that this software isn't free. Look at how the average android user isn't willing to pay for any apps period. You think they'll pay subscriptions to use BlackBerry 10 software? Doubt it.

Posted via CB10
    Anthony_2u and twirlyboy like this.
    03-02-15 01:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps a lengthy trial period (like, say, 3 months) so people can judge for themselves how awesome they'd be. Perhaps even an incentive to adopt BES12 for corporations.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    03-02-15 01:34 AM
    Time will tell. I don't think BlackBerry had much options anyway if it wanted to stay relevant.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 06:46 AM
    All he did was expose BB10 features to BES12 users.....slick plan.

Some might want the blackberry goodness all day everyday instead of only on BES when it's switched on. It might make them ditch their iphone.

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 and DarkJoker33 like this.
    03-02-15 07:10 AM
    With the Android and Apple powerhouses out there, the likelihood BlackBerry being able to release a spec'd out device that would be better than its competitors are close to zero.
    They can only compete in the finish of the device ( BlackBerry are a premium feel) and software ( not apps).
    So spreading their professional software out across platform and offering a few premium devices ( mostly with keyboards) us really their only choice at this point to stay relevant.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 07:23 AM
    With the Android and Apple powerhouses out there, the likelihood BlackBerry being able to release a spec'd out device that would be better than its competitors are close to zero.
    They can only compete in the finish of the device ( BlackBerry are a premium feel) and software ( not apps).
    So spreading their professional software out across platform and offering a few premium devices ( mostly with keyboards) us really their only choice at this point to stay relevant.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. It's a great shift of paradigm. Chen doesn't think that BlackBerry's only way of survival is through BlackBerry devices, BlackBerry users generally like the way BlackBerry software works, not the hardware

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    03-02-15 07:41 AM
    Exactly. It's a great shift of paradigm. Chen doesn't think that BlackBerry's only way of survival is through BlackBerry devices, BlackBerry users generally like the way BlackBerry software works, not the hardware

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    Yeah but I don't think that BlackBerry on an iOS or Android device is going to work as good or be as fluid as BlackBerry on a BlackBerry device. As long as they still make their own, high end, all touch hardware I'll be fine. If they abandon it I'm done with this company for good. Don't want to be end of life'd again like I was on the PlayBook with high end all touch phones.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 08:10 AM
    Yeah but I don't think that BlackBerry on an iOS or Android device is going to work as good or be as fluid as BlackBerry on a BlackBerry device. As long as they still make their own, high end, all touch hardware I'll be fine. If they abandon it I'm done with this company for good. Don't want to be end of life'd again like I was on the PlayBook with high end all touch phones.

Posted via CB10
    Another playbook whiner. Get over it snowflake!!!! Things will be OK!!
    03-02-15 08:57 AM
    Maybe I missed something. Who is asking for BB10 on Android and iOS devices?
    03-02-15 09:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't exactly call a BlackBerry experience on top of Android or iOS the optimal way, but really, if this goes well, we users are the real winners

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    03-02-15 09:18 AM
    So many people are missing the mark with this announcement. BlackBerry is not going after the regular consumer, so the point that Android users won't pay for these apps is completely irrelevant. Here's the proof directly from BlackBerry; they're marketing it as a way to "empower all mobile professionals in order to supercharge their productivity and allow them to work across all their devices in an effortless and secure way."

What's more, even the product names are geared towards business:
    1. BlackBerry Productivity Suite
    2. BlackBerry Communication & Collaboration Suite
    3. BlackBerry Security Suite

Do these names sound like BlackBerry is going after the regular consumer? NO!

And guess what!? Those of us with a BlackBerry 10 device have these things today and we have them for free!
    tryfe, btj, laketrout73 and 1 others like this.
    03-02-15 09:22 AM
    the target are BYOD enterprise users
    Maybe I missed something. Who is asking for BB10 on Android and iOS devices?
    03-02-15 09:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    Speaking for myself I probably will just to get the keyboard back.
    However I think this has been done with enterprise in mind again

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-02-15 09:28 AM
    the target are BYOD enterprise users
    Yes ones who don't and won't own a bb. What is offered here that isn't already available on other platforms/MDM solutions? And is it free with BES? I can't see anyone paying a monthly subscription on top of BES for this when I'm sure they are already using similar apps.
    03-02-15 09:40 AM
    I don't see what else could be done besides what BB is trying to do. IMHO Chen is doing the only thing he can to try to save, position and return the company to profitability. The trick is to find as many streams of revenue as possible with the tools and products they have left. I hope it works.
    03-02-15 09:53 AM
    I wouldn't exactly call a BlackBerry experience on top of Android or iOS the optimal way, but really, if this goes well, we users are the real winners

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    "we users" as in Android/IOS users right? Cause right now except for security, I see no reason for anyone to buy a BB10 device (except for die-hard fans) if they can get most of the features on their own device.

BB as a company may become profitable with this, but BB the smartphone manufactured will not be in a better position.
    03-02-15 09:57 AM
    I have said this before but this is really smart business thinking. Blackberry is renowned for it productivity apps and pushing it out via BES12 makes sense. It's going to be very simple. It's free on a BB10 phone but it's going to cost enterprise 2-3 dollars on Android or iPhone. Price that over the life cycle of an average phone (50-75 dollars) and now you have a big cost advantage to buying BB10 hardware. Finally, some clever business acumen going on at Blackberry. Blackberry is building it's version of a business ecosystem and then exploiting it to their advantage. Yes, thank you Mr. Chen.
    gvs1341 likes this.
    03-02-15 10:05 AM
    So many people are missing the mark with this announcement. BlackBerry is not going after the regular consumer, so the point that Android users won't pay for these apps is completely irrelevant. Here's the proof directly from BlackBerry; they're marketing it as a way to "empower all mobile professionals in order to supercharge their productivity and allow them to work across all their devices in an effortless and secure way."

And guess what!? Those of us with a BlackBerry 10 device have these things today and we have them for free!
    Yes. Bingo, you hit the target.
    03-02-15 10:08 AM

1) Names and proclamations are lovely but are little more than verbal handwaving until working examples are produced and the tires kicked.
    2) Free is always good for the consumer, terrible for the company. BBRY must monetize or subsidize with some other revenue stream.

Having said that, this is very much what BBRY needs to do. But they absolutely must deliver or they are toast. I would like to know whether this is entirely from the Chen era or a holdover from the previous regime. If the former, I would have liked to have seen it announced and ready somewhat sooner than today.
    03-02-15 10:17 AM
    1) Names and proclamations are lovely but are little more than verbal handwaving until working examples are produced and the tires kicked.
    2) Free is always good for the consumer, terrible for the company. BBRY must monetize or subsidize with some other revenue stream.

Having said that, this is very much what BBRY needs to do. But they absolutely must deliver or they are toast. I would like to know whether this is entirely from the Chen era or a holdover from the previous regime. If the former, I would have liked to have seen it announced and ready somewhat sooner than today.
    Just as a point of order. Since Blackberry is putting together of suite of offerings and many of those offerings have only been available for a few months, it follows that it couldn't have been released earlier. This is a logical progression and consistent with the development of their service software. The last thing Blackberry needs to do is release a half baked product. This one feels complete.
    03-02-15 10:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    They keyboard and calendar (assuming they bring back the 10.2.1 version) should work perfectly fine. The hub is the big one from a functionality perspective. Would it be able to send and receive FB, Whatsapp, BBM, etc messages in addition to handling multiple email accounts? Would the user also see missed calls? I would imagine they would need to have some pretty serious hooks into the OS to make this work. It should be doable on Android, but iOS is a whole other story.
    03-02-15 11:12 AM
36 12