Hi, I am a relatively new Blackberry owner (Curve 8520) and have recently come up against a problem. When I send 1 SMS the receiver receives up to 4 - and I am charged for all of these!

I have contacted Orange and they have sent me 're-set' SMS messages; I have followed all of their instructions.

I have just updated my Blackberry with laptop but it's still happening. Has this ever happened to anyone else and if so is there a solution?!

Thanks
    08-09-10 03:39 PM
    Best solution is to get an android device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-10 03:40 PM
    It's not a blackberry problem. I have had this problem on all sorts of phones. Usually carrier related.
    08-09-10 03:53 PM
    Ok, this may be complete unrelated but...

I've had this happen a few times on my old Storm 9530, specifically on some of the older OS versions right after OS 5.0 came out with the new threaded SMS. It seemed that when a thread would get very long, it would start sending double and triple messages from my device. The only thing that fixed it would be to delete the thread in question and start a new one with the person.

I haven't noticed this problem in quite a while, but I primarily use Google Talk now with the 2 people this used to happen with most frequently (they recent got android phones).
    08-09-10 04:02 PM
    This is not a problem but in fact a feature and I use it a lot. Some carriers allow you to send up to 6 SMS's as a single SMS. The advantage being you can send really long messages and if the person on the other end supports the same thing it appears as one message.

You just have to watch how much you type is all, there should be an indicator as to how much you have used. There is on mine.
    08-09-10 05:53 PM
    This is not a problem but in fact a feature and I use it a lot. Some carriers allow you to send up to 6 SMS's as a single SMS. The advantage being you can send really long messages and if the person on the other end supports the same thing it appears as one message.

You just have to watch how much you type is all, there should be an indicator as to how much you have used. There is on mine.
    True -- question to the OP, are the recipients getting multiple SMS messages as "pieces" of one message, or simply duplicates? I was assuming you meant duplicate messages.
    08-09-10 06:46 PM
    i assume the OP means dupes. i see it happen when people with verizon and tmobile send me SMS's. my one friend with tmobile will send me one sms and ill usually only get one. but sometimes ill get 2 or 3 duplicates. happens like every 10 messages. its carrier related, nothing u can do.
    08-10-10 01:56 AM
    Hi, thanks for the feedback. Yes the messages are duplicates of the same message. I think replying on the same thread could possibly be the problem - every so often I should create a new SMS thread rather than simply pressing 'reply'.

I thought it could probably be Orange's fault but they have been blaming my device which seemed odd. If it persists I'll get back on the phone to them.

Cheers,

Hannah
    08-10-10 08:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD