Hi there,
    Thanks for all of your help in deciding which BB I should purchase. I got the Pearl and I've been getting familiar with it today. I still have a couple questions:
    How do I IM other BB users?
    I just set-up my yahoo email on my phone, but I'm not sure how I can read or send mail.

Thank you!!
    05-26-08 08:27 PM
    for your first question. you should have BlackBerry Messenger installed on your phone, it comes with it. this application uses your PIN(something every BB has and can be found under options->status->PIN) to message in an aim style interface other bb users. to add someone u use their pin to request them, or they can use your pin the request you, you become contacts and that all there is to it.

as for your second question. whenever u set up an email address for your bb a few things might vary. 1. make sure that your sms and emails inboxes are separate or else they will all get lumped into messages.
    2. by doing this, for every email addy u set up it should have its own folder and icon. so if your bob@hotmail.com it should have a folder indicating so, click on it, compose, read, reconcile, whatever.

3. lastly with some themes when i add a new addy for some reason it will automatically hide for some reason so what u have to do is on your home screen, hit your menu key, select show all, some of the icons will be transparent, if u find your new email addy in there scroll on top of it, and click your menu key. the option "hide" will be check marked. uncheck and thats it. when u unselect "show all" and go back to just the icons u want shown on the home screen now you're new email addy will be shown too.

hope u can understand all this lol. im very good at helping people figure out how to do things...but usually by showing them, not telling them sorry.
    05-26-08 08:43 PM
    you have the bbm on your phone the icon looks like a blue voice bubble with the bb symbol inside of it
    go to messages click the options button (left of the trackball) and go down to "compose email"
    see if that works
    good luck
    05-26-08 08:46 PM
    i always keep my messages lumped together
    they are my messages, i dont care if its by text message or email or my work email
    usually i dont look to check, i just respond
    its all about personal preference
    05-26-08 08:48 PM
    thats true, kickinit.

i keep them together for the first night i had my bb because i had work the next day and didn't have much time to play with it.

it was ok but i have an order of importance for answering messages strangely enough lol. it goes txts 1st, emails 2nd, bbm and pin last. by separating i can look at my screen, see which icon has the lovely red asterik, and answer accordingly. this really helps when im pressed for time, i can just glance over instead of worrying about "i really dont have time to check this. but i might be an important text about tonight", etc.

but yes it is a matter of what u use your BB for and how u like it set up, that what makes the customization the BBs such a great feature.
    05-26-08 08:55 PM
    I thought I was the only one with an order of importance! Mine's text messages, email, then BBM!
    05-26-08 09:14 PM
    i just go into messages and look at who sent what, thats my order of importance
    i never open them in the order they were recieved
    05-26-08 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD