And I think the screen is cracked. Not shattered, like from an impact, but there are these two faint lines on both sides of the screen, and they seem to have a thickness to them. Now the touchscreen isn't nearly as responsive as it was before. How difficult/expensive is it to replace the screen? Does anyone else continue to use a phone with a cracked screen? I've seen quite a few iPhones like this, but never a Blackberry.

I left the phone in the car for about 2 hours, and it was on the drivers seat, in the sun. When I picked it up, it was in the middle of rebooting. The max temperature, according to MyBattery, reached 70 deg C (158 F). Everything seems to work, but the screen isn't what it used to be.

Let this be a warning to everyone else - take the phone with you, or if you must leave it behind, make sure you leave it in the shade.
    06-13-12 03:16 PM
    You should be able to find a screen at a good price on ebay or one of the mobile sites like sw-box.com

I found a dissemble / assemble / screen replacement YT video 9850....killer music for you too hehehe.

http://v7.nonxt3.c.youtube.com/video...rect_counter=1
    ALToronto likes this.
    06-13-12 03:45 PM
    If you toasted your phone that badly I wouldn't be so quick to pump money in it trying to fix it. I would say use it as long as you can and move on to another one. If you have someone who can take it apart and test the whole unit then it might be worth trying to save. Roasting a phone tends to cause severe damage throughout.
    06-13-12 04:40 PM
    If you toasted your phone that badly I wouldn't be so quick to pump money in it trying to fix it. I would say use it as long as you can and move on to another one. If you have someone who can take it apart and test the whole unit then it might be worth trying to save. Roasting a phone tends to cause severe damage throughout.
    My thoughts were for the sake of a new screen (�30 - �40) on a �400 phone ? I would replace it and go from there.
    06-13-12 04:58 PM
    Thanks for the advice. So far, fingers and toes crossed, everything seems to work ok, including call quality. But the screen isn't nearly as responsive as before.

I don't think 70 deg. is enough to melt the solder or any of the plastic components, but I do agree that this phone's life expectancy will be significantly shortened. I just hope it holds out till BB10 arrives!
    06-13-12 08:48 PM
    I would just repair it so that is doesn't spoil my BB experience... It's a small price to pay while waiting for BB10...
    06-13-12 09:20 PM
    I didn't realize you were in the TO area. There's a shop on Yonge St. up around Steeles that will check it out for free before doing any repairs. Don't remember the name. If you search for BB repairs on Google I think you will be able to find it.
    06-13-12 09:26 PM
    Well, one hour and $75 later, I have a new screen, and my phone is working even better than it did prior to overheating. Thanks for the tip, NFLPLAYBOOK.

I'll give the repair shop a plug here: it's called iRepex (yes, they fix iDevices as well), and they're at 6013 Yonge St., between Finch and Steeles. Their link is

Blackberry Repair Toronto & North York - Screen | Battery | Lens | Glass & more...
    Last edited by ALToronto; 06-15-12 at 06:05 PM.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    06-15-12 05:59 PM
    Well, one hour and $75 later, I have a new screen, and my phone is working even better than it did prior to overheating. Thanks for the tip, NFLPLAYBOOK.

I'll give the repair shop a plug here: it's called iRepex (yes, they fix iDevices as well), and they're at 6013 Yonge St., between Finch and Steeles. Their website address is

Blackberry Repair Toronto & North York - Screen | Battery | Lens | Glass & more...
    Googd job. Glad it wasn't properly gone and would have been a paper weight.
    06-15-12 06:02 PM
    Awesome! Good to know about that shop too! Thanks for the info, might come in handy. Just wondering did they possibly have the integrated button front? If I change the face of my Torch, its to go that direction.
    06-15-12 09:52 PM

I'll give the repair shop a plug here: it's called iRepex (yes, they fix iDevices as well), and they're at 6013 Yonge St., between Finch and Steeles. Their link is

I'm glad you found it, that is the place. They seem to do a pretty thorough job so you can be pretty confident. I'm happy it all worked out for you. You're welcome.
    06-16-12 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD