To my shock and horror, I just learned that my company is evaluating iPhones and are seriously considering making the transition.

I love my Bold 9700 and they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands!!!

I would like to give the person evaluating the iPhone a list of criteria that shows off the features that I am certain users have come to take for granted. Please help me compile this list so that the people evaluating the iPhone don't lose site of what makes BB top dog for communications.

1) BB Battery life up to 8-10 hours of heavy usage no charge required!!
    vs. iPhone ????
    2) QWERTY Keyboard vs. iPhone touch screen.
    3) Data compression not that big of a deal because we are on a 6G dataplan and currently consume less than 2G a month.
    4) BES because of security over the hardware and apps.
    5) Durability the BB is awesome. How does the iPhone compare??
    6)
    7)
    8)

Please help me fight this iPhone battle! Any suggestions you can offer will be greatly appreciated!
    08-02-11 11:38 AM
    Iphone battery on heavy usage is maximum around 8 hours, maybe less, so Blackberry is better!!!
    Durability of a Iphone is crap, after 1/1,5 years you maybe will need a replacement, Blackberry you can use for years!!!
    technology_fanboy likes this.
    08-02-11 11:59 AM
    You might, if it applies, ask how they feel about company data being in the cloud and the risks associated with that. Don't forget that as of iOS 5, everything you have and do in terms of data, whether you want it to be or not is automagically stored in the iCloud.

I admit however that I know nothing about corporate IT, vs smartphones, there might be some kind of magic they can work to not allow the device to use iCloud, but I do know for certain consumers do not have an option.

This also falls in line with all due respects to BB's onboard data encryption, and I'm sure BlackBerry Balance is noteworthy too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-11 12:00 PM
    - bb is more work oriented because you can lockdown what apps are installed via bes policy
    - data plans aren't getting any cheaper, iphones will definitely use more data because of apps, and more browsing from users - aka slacking
    - from what i read, the glass tends to break on the ip4 when it gets dropped, but i figured a good case would keep it protected... so that may be a non-issue
    - bb's should be cheaper upfront than an ip4
    - security and management really are the biggest selling points and you already have them listed
    - BBM and bbm groups wasn't mentioned, but that's a biggy for some companies that require rapid and reliable communication.

your best bet is really just to expand on what you've already listed... provide specific use cases where bb is better than ip4 - i'm assuming whomever is evaluating the ip4 and bb's actually has use cases listed out to get some sort of quantitative measurement of which platform best suits their needs.
    08-02-11 12:16 PM
    this may be a far shot, but you can also mention the possible distraction from the multiple apps/games available for the iPhone in comparison to BB. Although both phones have apps/games, I always found myself doing more pointless things and being less productive when I had my iPhone in comparison to when I am using a blackberry.

Another thing is that BB triumphs in security vs iPhone. Since this is for a company, information security imo should always be a concern.
    08-02-11 12:59 PM
    Security is job one for any corporate communications device. Just days ago Apple had to issue a security patch for their phones. iPhone Security Hole Plugged By Apple's Anti-Hacker iOS Software Update Who knows what problem will arise next?

And tied to Apple for apps and functionality? Or Apple tracking ability? No thanks.
    08-02-11 01:02 PM
    You might, if it applies, ask how they feel about company data being in the cloud and the risks associated with that. Don't forget that as of iOS 5, everything you have and do in terms of data, whether you want it to be or not is automagically stored in the iCloud.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Besides the security issues, there is a cost point in that if the company is implementing iPads with the phones, the Playbook does work off the Bridge, not requiring a separate data plan.
    08-02-11 11:03 PM
    People like that are interested in one ****ing thing only. Money. You will have to be able to show them a BB enterprise is cheaper than a pile of iPhones. Other wise pop a Xanax and get used to iOS.
    08-02-11 11:26 PM
    People like that are interested in one ****ing thing only. Money. You will have to be able to show them a BB enterprise is cheaper than a pile of iPhones. Other wise pop a Xanax and get used to iOS.
    I think you maybe right, but I will not go down without a fight!

Someone at my company has been wowed by the Apple i magic. I think this is something that they will regret in about 1 - 1 1/2 years when they start having hardware issues. Our employees are heavy users and like all tools they do see some abuse. I suspect that this transition will be short lived.
    08-02-11 11:33 PM
    I manage a BES server at work for 40+ BlackBerrys and I can say honestly there is no better end to end solution for managing a fleet of handheld devices. Being able to see the diagnostics for all of the phones right from a web-based administration page is unparalleled by the iPhone. A company switching to iPhones from BlackBerrys makes absolutely no sense to me.

If anything, tell them to go ahead and switch to iPhones - I guarantee you they'll realize it was a waste of money and they'll want to switch back. Just warn them that this is going to happen and they will regret it.
    08-02-11 11:42 PM
    I have to disagree with some of the statements made here.

iPhones are just as durable as any BB...The weak point WAS the screen but they still work just fine and that was largely fixed on iP4.

As far as "only gonna last for 1-1.5 years." Thats not really true. There are plenty of people still rocking OG's and 3G's and 3GS's. Probably comparable (to actual sales of the devices) to the amount of people who still have 8330s from 3-4 years ago. I still have my OG iPhone and it still works unlike my 9000 (stopped turning on at all) which i have had for WAY less time. Now thats not to say the BBs are not durable but to stop people from trying to think the iPhones arent.

You mentioned you have a 9700....That is NOT cheaper upfront than an iPhone. Well it wasnt when it was still a relevant device. If they go with Curves next go-around then that will be more true. But if they are gonna go with 9900 or 9790 or something like that, then it wont be so.

Also, I always hold that the reason I/and others dont do much slacking on BBs is because its just not useable for that. i HATED browsing on both mine. But these new devices.....they look pretty sweet. The new internals couple with the OS6/OS7 browser is probably gonna cause a heck of alot more non productivity :-p.
    08-02-11 11:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD