Well "dr". I work in Radiology as a systems analyst and I don't know what "hospital" you work in but taking a picture of a patients wound without consent is a violation of hippa and on a phone makes it even more of an issue since the phone is not secured through the hospitals servers. I could go on about why the iPhone is used so often by physicians. I.E, can see imaging from radiology on the phone from our PACS system. And is controlled by our data security folks. So if you are a DR. Please don't take pictures of your patients wounds on your personal phone.

Because it boils down to this if you take a patients wound picture and your phone is stolen or lost how are YOU protecting your patients ?
    So you are saying a picture - with no identification whatsoever violates HIPPA? LOL! Good thing you arent in law or human resources.
    01-11-12 01:06 PM
    Right - because an itouch that can make phone calls isnt a toy. Truth hurt?

And if an iphone bricks - is it still useful? LOL!

Trolls are fun.
    So are those that try to outsmart them. Calling the iPhone an iToy is just as bad.

So you are saying a picture - with no identification whatsoever violates HIPPA? LOL! Good thing you arent in law or human resources.
    You'd be surprised what people sue over and win with.

Let's say you go to the hospital with a J shaped wound on your leg because you got run over by a lawn mower. Dr. OP takes a photo. You then wind up with a distinct J shaped scar on your leg. See where I'm going with this...
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 01-11-12 at 01:09 PM.
    01-11-12 01:07 PM
    So are those that try to outsmart them. Calling the iPhone an iToy is just as bad.
    You do know you are on a BB fan site right? Once the iphone transitions from being primarily a media or gaming device - I will stop calling it a toy.

You'd be surprised what people sue over and win with.

Let's say you go to the hospital with a J shaped wound on your leg because you got run over by a lawn mower. Dr. OP takes a photo. You then wind up with a distinct J shaped scar on your leg. See where I'm going with this...
    The fact that anyone can sue anyone over anything does not constitute a violation of HIPPA.
    01-11-12 01:14 PM
    Right - because an itouch that can make phone calls isnt a toy. Truth hurt?

And if an iphone bricks - is it still useful? LOL!

Trolls are fun.
    I'M a troll?

Oh, that's rich.

Look at my join date, then yours. Look at my list of previous devices. I'm not a troll and have never been.

The iPhone is not, nor has ever been, a toy. Neither are my 2 iPod Touches. Neither are my 2 boxed BB devices over on my shelf. No high side of $1000 smartphone is a toy. Seems there are plenty of games on BB's too, everyone used to go on and on about Brickbreaker (although I always removed it because I didn't like it).

EDIT

In our store, we have had about 7 9900's returned for the fabled bricking issue. None of the iPhone 4/4S we've sold in that same time have been returned bricked. It's really difficult to brick an iPhone, can it happen? Sure. Is there a known issue with iPhone's bricking themselves on people's nightstands while charging? No. Is there that same issue with the 9900's right now? Yep.

I had a long haul trucker left stranded with a bricked 9900 in Ohio. Not easy for a Canadian to get help in the States with their Canadian phone.

We had a 9900 bricked in the box. That looked really good in front of the customer.

Is it good for someone who may rely on their phone for emergency calls to buy a phone with a known random bricking issue? That was my point.

Not trolling.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 01-11-12 at 01:32 PM.
    01-11-12 01:22 PM
    I feel your pain. I am having the same issues about having outdated equip in 8 - 10 months.

My wife is a hospitalists and the hospital is buying them iphones and / or ipads for billing and data entry. I inquired about why not Playbooks and they could not get a BB rep to talk to.

RIM needs to get some account execs on the ground and promoting a superior product. I have played with her Ipad and am not impressed.
    01-11-12 01:34 PM
    I'M a troll?

Oh, that's rich.

Look at my join date, then yours. Look at my list of previous devices. I'm not a troll and have never been.
    So your justification that you werent trolling is your join date? Wow. I concede sir - your logic is bullet proof.

The iPhone is not, nor has ever been, a toy. Neither are my 2 iPod Touches...
    Stopped reading that paragraph there.

EDIT

In our store, we have had about 7 9900's returned for the fabled bricking issue. None of the iPhone 4/4S we've sold in that same time have been returned bricked. It's really difficult to brick an iPhone, can it happen? Sure. Is there a known issue with iPhone's bricking themselves on people's nightstands while charging? No. Is there that same issue with the 9900's right now? Yep.

I had a long haul trucker left stranded with a bricked 9900 in Ohio. Not easy for a Canadian to get help in the States with their Canadian phone.

We had a 9900 bricked in the box. That looked really good in front of the customer.

Is it good for someone who may rely on their phone for emergency calls to buy a phone with a known random bricking issue? That was my point.

Not trolling.
    Well - 7 bricked phones out of the millions sold certainly means its rampant.
    01-11-12 01:39 PM
    Wow. The point just zipped right by your head.

That's one store. You think we are the only store with bricked 9900s? Have you seen the threads? That's 7 out of about 40 sold.

That's not good.

And no my join date isn't my argument. My list of devices is. I've used every platform except WinMo. I'm not a fan girl troll. I'm as far from it as possible.

I'm sure you'll ignore all of that for whatever agenda you're on.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 01-11-12 at 01:51 PM.
    01-11-12 01:47 PM
    Wow. The point just zipped right by your head.

That's one store. You think we are the only store with bricked 9900s? Have you seen the threads? That's 7 out of about 40 sold.

That's not good.

And no my join date isn't my argument. My list of devices is. I've used every platform except WinMo. I'm not a fan girl troll. I'm as far from it as possible.

I'm sure you'll ignore all of that for whatever agenda you're on.
    I saw your point and its ridiculousness that your store is indicative of failure rates world wide. So you are saying that 18% of all 9900/30 's sold are bricked? Sorry - unless you have something better than that I think thats hooey.

And if we are using crackberry threads as an indicator - the 9900 is the best and worst phone of all time. The playbook is the best and worst tablet of all time and RIM is broke and failing while concurrently having millions in the bank and successful.
    01-11-12 02:10 PM
    You do know you are on a BB fan site right? Once the iphone transitions from being primarily a media or gaming device - I will stop calling it a toy.

The fact that anyone can sue anyone over anything does not constitute a violation of HIPPA.
    Not even justifying the iToy comments. I don't like a lot of things but I don't make fun of them.

HIPPA doesn't just include someone's name. It includes anything that can be used to ID a patient. If you worked in the medical field, you'd know this.
    01-11-12 02:13 PM
    HIPPA doesn't just include someone's name. It includes anything that can be used to ID a patient. If you worked in the medical field, you'd know this.
    You dont need to be in the medical to have knowledge of HIPPA. While I dont work in the medical field I do have exposure to work place accidents as I am involved in loss reduction. We are permitted to discuss specific accidents and comp claims but obviously no names. You dont think someone can be identified by the type of injury by co-workers when discussing the claim? And yes this has already been run by legal.
    01-11-12 02:24 PM
    You CANNOT take a picture without written consent of the patient. To do so is a violation of HIPAA. I work in the largest hospital in the state and it is the law. If you do take a picture immediate termination. You CAN take a picture with consent and the mechanism to take the picture must be a controlled item. One's personal phone is not a controlled mechanism.

Such examples include:

Suspected child abuse.
    Wound care.
    Reasonable Safeguards for Privacy and Confidentiality of Protected
    Health Information

PHI:Protected Health Information. The Privacy Rule protects all "individually
    identifiable health information" held or transmitted by a covered entity or its business
    associate, in any form or media, whether electronic, paper, or oral. The Privacy Rule
    calls this information "protected health information (PHI)."12
    OCR Privacy Rule Summary 4 Last Revised 05/03
    “Individually identifiable health information” is information, including demographic
    data, that relates to:
    • the individual’s past, present or future physical or mental health or
    condition,
    • the provision of health care to the individual, or
    • the past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to the
    individual,
    and that identifies the individual or for which there is a reasonable basis to believe
    can be used to identify the individual.13 Individually identifiable health information
    includes many common identifiers (e.g., name, address, birth date, Social Security
    Number).
    The Privacy Rule excludes from protected health information employment records
    that a covered entity maintains in its capacity as an employer and education and
    certain other records subject to, or defined in, the Family Educational Rights and
    Privacy Act, 20 U.S.C. �1232g.

Victims of Abuse, Neglect or Domestic Violence. In certain circumstances,
    covered entities may disclose protected health information to appropriate
    government authorities regarding victims of abuse, neglect, or domestic
    violence.31

PSSST: It's HIPAA not HIPPA
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 01-11-12 at 03:12 PM.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    01-11-12 02:41 PM
    Sometimes it's like talking to brick walls.

The 9900 is the only phone we've had this many returns/failures with since the Galaxy S Vibrant Bell problem. Of course, I'm a troll and it's not true.

Yep, Kevin, Bla1ze, everyone who has had their phone brick out of nowhere are lying/trolling. It's just not happening at all to anyone.

I guess I am in the unluckiest wireless retail location anywhere because it's the only place that had them returned.

Welcome to ignore.
    01-11-12 03:03 PM
    OP - two qualifying questions for you. Does your hospital have available wifi and how is the 3G signal in the building? If signal stinks and no wifi for you, don't get the 9930. It won't make it through a 12 hour shift with much juice to spare. On the other hand, if you have good wifi and 3G, battery should last a whole day. If you do have a need for serious battery life though, I would even think of getting a refurb 9650 Bold. That battery lasted forever!
    01-11-12 03:30 PM
    OP - two qualifying questions for you. Does your hospital have available wifi and how is the 3G signal in the building? If signal stinks and no wifi for you, don't get the 9930. It won't make it through a 12 hour shift with much juice to spare. On the other hand, if you have good wifi and 3G, battery should last a whole day. If you do have a need for serious battery life though, I would even think of getting a refurb 9650 Bold. That battery lasted forever!
    True that - a OS 6 Bold would appear to be a better option.
    01-11-12 03:35 PM
    For a bit email guy, I would say the Bold 9930 for sure. Typing is like butter, and compared to the Tour or the old Bold 9650, you can really tell the difference. RIM took an already great keyboard and pretty much made it perfect on the 99XX.

The specs on the Bold are good enough that you should be able to keep it for 2 years without worry, and with OS 7.1, you shouldn't have to worry about the bricking issue.

Touchscreen/keyboard/trackpad combo is flawless imo, and the screen is a great size
    01-11-12 03:46 PM
    This is a BlackBerry fan forum. We can write iToy all day
    01-11-12 04:48 PM
    Thanks for all the replies everybody! Some thoughts:

ABOUT THE HIPPA POLICY I asked several doctors today and all said the same thing that no it is NOT a violation as the way I described it previously. No identification no problem. BUT, hospitals vary on this. There are some hospitals out there where it clearly states no pictures (or even phones in some places) are to be taken in the room. The past 5 hospitals I worked at it was fine. So to answer the question: At most places it is not a violation, but at some places it is so check with the rules.

MY FINAL DECISION ON A PHONE I hate to say this, but the auto focus is a deal breaker, and secondarily the lack of 4g on Verizon is as well. An absolute deal breaker and there is NO excuse for this. It's bad enough that I would be settling for a 5mp camera when others are 8mp, but to not have something like an autofocus is a slap in the face. This is my primary camera, I take other pictures every single day which include business cards, bar codes, and small print books, reciepts, etc...I need autofocus. At first I thought this was a SOFTWARE problem that could be fixed with an update but turns out it can't as it is a hardware problem. I love blackberry, but they MUST keep up with technology better than they can now. I am not abandoning blackberry yet and I still want a bold 9930 but I just can't settle for second best. Hopefully they will have a new bold soon with just a few minor fixes, or else I'm leaving...

ABOUT IPHONE BEING A TOY To me (as I said before), it is more of a toy. The iphone is INCREDIBLE. So smooth, so many apps, easy to navigate. It is a beautiful device indeed. BUT, it depends on what you want in a phone. But Apple is primarily the way they are because of genious advertising that basically created a cult, not because their phone is superior or better. It's the truth. And it's sickening. Walk into ANY apple store at a mall and just look around...it's creepy! Those people in there would upgrade to a piece of sh1t if it had an apple logo on it somewhere. To me, blackberry is more about functionality, business, effectiveness, simplicity, and based on my needs which consist of needing a physical keyboard and easy use etc, it's perfect. To say the iphone is not a great phone is stupid, but to say that it isn't more of a toy when compared to a blackberry is just as stupid. It's all about what YOU want in a phone. Apple, Blackberry, and Android are all wonderful devices.

Yes it does and the 3g is fine. I dont think I would go for an older bold because of other awesome advancements it's made such as the touch screen. Thanks for the suggestions.
    01-12-12 02:05 AM
    To the OP:

9790 is the way to go:
    * has the auto-focus camera
    * battery life is good
    * touchscreen
    * OS 7.0/7.1
    * drop survivability of 97xx series is second-to-none

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-12 06:54 AM
    To the OP:

9790 is the way to go:
    Vzw doesn't offer that phone. OP said he's on Vzw.

Also, about HIPAA - the hospital I work for bans all cell phones - camera or not - in all procedure rooms. Employees have been fired for having theirs on them even if it was just in a belt clip attached to the waistband of their scrubs. The hospital is that serious about patient privacy. Someone took a photo in the MRI lab of a metal office chair that destroyed a scanner when someone turned it on. The child's mother was in it and she was injured when the machine pulled the chair out from under her. The child wasn't hurt and neither was mama. Needless to say after that photo was released to the media as a light hearted news story, the employee was fired and the phone ban was enacted.

I also work at a children's hospital, so maybe that has something to do with it but the last hospital I was at was just as strict.
    01-12-12 08:16 AM
    To the OP:

9790 is the way to go:
    * has the auto-focus camera
    * battery life is good
    * touchscreen
    * OS 7.0/7.1
    * drop survivability of 97xx series is second-to-none

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Omg totally true. When I had my 9700 I used a case by epik. After 2 years the phone surviced beating and wear and tear and abuse but looked pristine, and arguably new thanks to the epik case.

But merit also goes to phone design. A bad phone regardless of case breaks.
    01-12-12 09:34 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD