For some reason, I thought I really didn't need my BlackBerry anymore, and would save $30 a month by switching to a basic phone. It's been a week now, and I want to switch back.

I didn't think I used the data enough to justify the $30 a month. I didn't realize how much I actually used it until I got rid of it. My inbox on Gmail has blown up because I never check it. I always just checked it on my BlackBerry.

I think the thing I miss the most is my calendar. I have it sync'd with my Google Calendar via Google's Sync app. I have everything in there. All my meetings for work, my school schedule, personal plans, birthdays, etc... I'm usually so busy at work, by time I get to school at night I can never remember what class I have where. I just whip out the old BB and it tells me which building to go to.

Then there's the occasional web browsing. It's nice to have, but still kinda clunky, so I only use it if I don't have access to anything else. I guess I only thought web browsing was the only thing using my $30, but I was wrong.

So now I sit here, with my Curve wiped clean and freshly charged on my desk. I have a feeling by the end of the day, it will be activated again. Sorry, I just needed to talk, and my friends don't understand the addictiveness of the BlackBerry.
    10-07-08 09:56 AM
    I would imagine that it would be incredibly difficult to go from a Blackberry, or heck any smartphone for that matter, to a "regular" phone, for lack of better phrase. The functions and capabilities of the Blackberry obviously far surpass that of ANY other "regular" phone out there. I'm sure by the end of the day, you will make the right decision.
    10-07-08 09:59 AM
    As a brandy-new user to the CrackBerry world, I myself think I'd be hard-pressed to go back to using a regular "dumb-phone".
    I picked up a Curve a couple weeks ago, I'm still amazed how handy this thing is have. Like you mentioned, It's not *great* as a web-surfing machine - but for everything else, it's tops.

Sorry you're going through withdrawal, but I'd suspect it shouldn't be too bad to re-activate & enjoy once again!
    Hang in there.
    10-07-08 10:23 AM
    I have a friend that did the same thing because she thought she would save $. She went back to her Motorola Razr2 (YUCK!!!). Now she always seems lost and can't schedule anything to save her life. I think it's just a matter of time until she switches back.
    10-07-08 10:48 AM
    I left crackbery for the iphone 3g and it was horrible. I suffered for 2 months then I finally snapped out of it and went out and got me brand spanking new 8310 but red this time.....my life is back to normal!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-08 06:53 PM
    Come on back home my friend,the door is open for you.
    10-07-08 07:09 PM
    Look at all the enablers here helping to feed the addiction

Seriously, after using one it is hard to go back to a regular phone

10-07-08 07:12 PM
    Nothing wrong in trying to save money as those monthly fees can add up. My BB would be tough to go w/o though even if used for only personal reasons.
    10-07-08 07:17 PM
    I have no idea how people go back to normal phones. My dad just quit his job and lost his WE and he's always trying to steal my BB. I told him he can have it if he buys me a Javline when it comes out!

I'm sure you'll make the right decision. I rationalized it as 30$ a month is going to get me through university (I'm awfully disorganized!) which is a small price to pay when I'm already paying an arm and a leg in tuition...
    10-07-08 07:41 PM
    Welcome back....... It must have been tough switching.
    10-07-08 07:59 PM
    Yeah, I got hooked on smartphones when I got one for my old job. I can't see going back to a "dumb" phone now, even though it is more expensive to have a smartphone.
    10-07-08 08:41 PM
    LOL, you may stick with your normal phone! But only if you promise not to leaveus Crackberry Fam behind!
    10-07-08 08:43 PM
    I kind of understand..

I had a KRZR before a BB, and had opera mini on it, but.. The browsing is fun..

I was in the car with my friends tonight.. and we were talking about a country they were talking about on the radio, something far and small in the middle of no where.. We were wondering where it was.. and what languages they were talking there..
    And no one knew.. but, my BB saved the situation..
    All I had to do is google..

You NEED a blackberry... a phone is just so dull :P
    10-08-08 12:35 AM
    Blackberry all the way, I made that mistake once went to an Env2, I was back in 30 days lol

10-08-08 01:45 AM
    I have been where you are and its no fun. With open arms we shall welcome you back.

10-08-08 04:40 AM
    I rationalized it as 30$ a month is going to get me through university (I'm awfully disorganized!) which is a small price to pay when I'm already paying an arm and a leg in tuition...
    Took the words right out of my mouth!
    10-08-08 04:57 AM
    I ended up making the switch back to my curve by lunchtime yesterday. I haven't been able to keep my hands off of it since. That was the longest 9 days of my life!
    10-08-08 01:03 PM
    when looking at the big picture 30 bucks for a data plan isnt much a mere $1 per day . If you have to give up one of your sodas a day to help pay the data plan then do it . i can suffer paying a buck a day for data i really cant do without it
    10-08-08 05:46 PM
    I can't see myself w/out a Berry.
    10-10-08 12:41 AM
    I cannot imagine using a normal phone. I've been using my Curve for about 4 months now, and I was recently going through my electronics "chest" and found some old phones, I charged them to see if they work because I'm putting them on Ebay/Craigslist...and I almost vomitted when I started going through the menus and looking at it's features. I couldn't believe at one time I thought those phones were awesome. My BBerry keeps my life in order.
    10-10-08 12:27 PM
    I have had my Curve 8330 for 20 days, and i can not belive i waited this long...i was addicted instantly, i do everything on it now.
    Honestly i allways said to myself " why spend extra cash? i will never use it" WAS I WRONG.....now i have one and i will never go back, black berry all the way........my next device might be the Thunder??? we will see....
    Point here is, you can not live without these things.......my wife is so mad...lol...
    10-10-08 12:37 PM
    I have a feeling my husband is gonna want a berry now. He keeps grabbing mine. I wanted the curve but because of $ went with the pearl. Maybe he will take mine - he likes small phones - and I will be able to get a curve.

10-10-08 12:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD