i dont use BBM or the GPS or anything like that. But things like facebook, and google applications, or really any app in general i try wont work on wifi, it keeps telling me i need a data plan. What work arounds are there? or modified roms?

on a side note i keep getting errors when i try to download anything from the superstore??? bad gateway?

let me clarify this a little more... its not being used as a phone, it is strictly WIFI.

Basically i want to use it as a wifi pda/toy
    Last edited by dragoncorp; 10-01-10 at 03:41 PM.
    10-01-10 03:22 PM
    You can't, there's no hack. All those things you mention require a Blackberry Data Plan to function. The only thing you can do is browse the web using the Hotspot browser.
    10-01-10 04:26 PM
    In my understanding, any time you use and application or surf the web using the hotspot browser, it some how sends kinda "underground" or "backdoor" information to RIM servers and if your PIN is not active will not work.

If i'm wrong please correct me.
    10-01-10 04:58 PM
    In my understanding, any time you use and application or surf the web using the hotspot browser, it some how sends kinda "underground" or "backdoor" information to RIM servers and if your PIN is not active will not work.

I havent really heard of this, but if the radios shut off with just wifi then I doubt it.
    10-01-10 10:01 PM

i stopped my plan with VZW and have only wifi and the phone works just as it did before. Still have BBM, email..everything. its a glitch though. i shouldnt have access like i do :-)
    10-01-10 10:03 PM
    i dont use BBM or the GPS or anything like that. But things like facebook, and google applications, or really any app in general i try wont work on wifi, it keeps telling me i need a data plan. What work arounds are there? or modified roms?

on a side note i keep getting errors when i try to download anything from the superstore??? bad gateway?

let me clarify this a little more... its not being used as a phone, it is strictly WIFI.

Basically i want to use it as a wifi pda/toy
    Just turn off your radio connection and leave wifi on. Just use the browser or opera on wifi since you cant use any native RIM app like facebook, BBM, twitter, etc.. without a BIS account.
    10-01-10 10:05 PM
    I've used the Facebook application and whatnot without having my S2 on an active line before. BBM didn't work since that uses RIM's internal servers, but the browser, Facebook, and other applications worked just fine for me without a data plan like the OP is asking about. I just had the Mobile Network turned off and the WiFi turned on and I was surfing like a champ.

As a side note, if this is a phone that's been reported "stolen" or "lost" it should not do anything. Once it's blacklisted it should be worth no more than parts...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-10 11:06 PM
    i stopped my plan with VZW and have only wifi and the phone works just as it did before. Still have BBM, email..everything. its a glitch though. i shouldnt have access like i do :-)
    Maybe a glitch, correct. I think like that because a cousin moved from Panama to Miami without roaming. Never used an US sim card, she used her Panamanian Digicel sim card. With the WIFI she could use bbm, facebook, msn and the browser but only while her contract was active, immediately she stop paying her bill the party was over.
    10-04-10 11:37 AM
    I've been trying to do the same thing with mine since I got my D2 and haven't had any luck since I deactivated it from VZW. I can use Opera for browsing and Slacker for music in the garage on my wireless, but I was really hoping to continue to get my emails on it via WIFI only.

I would assume once you drop your phone off of Verizon your BIS access goes with it since no one makes money off of that particular phone anymore.
    10-04-10 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD