and now I'm totally paranoid that she was up to some unknown scam. She dialed a number and was on the phone less than a minute - it wasn't some 900 number or anything. But now I'm thinking who knows what she was up to. And my number isn't blocked either.

Am I just being paranoid? Or is there some way she could have done something shady in that minute?

And on a related note - what's the best way to clean and disinfect a bb Torch screen
    12-14-11 02:55 AM
    Sorry don't really know the answer to your question but I do find it funny that you're asking for a way to disinfect your screen after you tell us a stranger used your BB for a minute
    12-14-11 03:03 AM
    not to be judgemental, but she had a pimple. She caught me off guard...
    12-14-11 03:07 AM
    Are you asking for help with your phone or with your OCD?
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-14-11 03:54 AM
    How about "NOOO!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-11 09:34 AM
    your response should have been "what phone?"
    12-14-11 09:54 AM
    I don't loan my phone out to anyone, especially not strangers. It's just that easy. If you are that paranoid, connect to Desktop Manager, make a backup, and wipe the phone, and re-load either the same OS, or upgrade/downgrade.
    12-14-11 11:07 AM
    You are an interesting fellow.
    12-14-11 11:54 AM
    WOW!

War Is All We Know
    12-14-11 12:08 PM
    there's medication for that!
    12-14-11 01:38 PM
    and now I'm totally paranoid that she was up to some unknown scam. She dialed a number and was on the phone less than a minute - it wasn't some 900 number or anything. But now I'm thinking who knows what she was up to. And my number isn't blocked either.

Am I just being paranoid?
    Answer: Yes.

Or is there some way she could have done something shady in that minute?
    Answer: Not likely.

And on a related note - what's the best way to clean and disinfect a bb Torch screen
    Answer: Smart Aleck answer: Dip it in a vat of Alcohol for 24 hours. Your phone will be disinfected inside and out. Downside is it won't work except as a paperweight. Serious answer: Eyeglass lens cleaning towlettes will disinfect your phone.

For future reference, if you are this concerned about all these issues, don't let anyone use your phone and make an appointment with a board certified psychologist. My son is one. If you are near San Antonio, TX he can help you out.
    Last edited by newcollector; 12-14-11 at 01:52 PM.
    12-14-11 01:50 PM
    So OP, did you put on some white latex gloves and get the phone back from stranger?

Jokes aside,

I let someone my phone once at the bus stop as she saw me on my phone. Student, looks clean and I watched what she did. Anyways, she ended up trying to call her brother to pick her up, but not before she mis-dialed the area code and called Chicago (I live in Toronto, and we have 10 digit dialing. Also it was a complete accident by switching 289 with 298 or something).

Moral of the story, it is nice to be nice, but tell the stranger your battery is almost dead and your waiting for a call next time...

(Then if you really want to **** them off, place a call to a friend and chat for a hour with the stranger around....)
    12-14-11 01:52 PM
    Wow.....OP just played into the caricature of the westerner for us Old World people.

Paranoia is an understatement. I would lend a stranger my phone if they are in a pinch.
    A minute?? Seriously OP, there should be some medication for your ailment. Either that or you are smoking some strong stuff.

Do you havd tin foil hats around your home as well? Big Brother is always watching you.
    12-14-11 02:06 PM
    not to be judgemental, but she had a pimple. She caught me off guard...
    Scared of girl cooties?
    12-14-11 02:37 PM
    She probably gave you oral herpes. Sorry guy.
    12-14-11 02:47 PM
    You should get a new one and throw away the old... just in case...

What I would like so see in upcoming OSes.. is an option to LOCK the phone also on incoming calls, so that when I leave my phone on my desk at work, and someone call - but I'm not there - it should Not be possible to answer the call without using the Lock code...
    Last edited by Lindstrom; 12-14-11 at 03:21 PM.
    12-14-11 03:11 PM
    I never, ever lend my phone to strangers. I've been asked and I'm like "what phone?" even though they've seen me use it. If they persist, I say "I don't know what you're talking about." gets the message across.

I'd be far more worried about a stranger taking my phone and bolting with it than anything else.

Sorry that may sound "mean" but I don't really care. You can't trust total strangers to do the right thing.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    12-14-11 03:16 PM
    I offer to call for them. Well, I did once.
    12-14-11 03:24 PM
    I'm a girl! With sensitive skin - and her pimple was not small Also there was just something shady about her - she didn't exactly look homeless, but almost. And it wasn't any emergency - she said she was calling her boss. Then she called Minnesota.(We're in Los Angeles)

I just realized afterwards how nuts it is to lend something with all my info on it - my bank texts me all the time about my account and my password keeper has everything on it. And not being technical, I really have no idea what she could have done.

But I'm hoping I was overreacting...
    (still going to clean that screen though)
    12-14-11 03:38 PM
    Bank texts usually don't have your account info except for balance and transactions.
    Password keeper is encrypted and no one can get into it without a password and it only gives you ten tries before it wipes all your data to prevent unauthorized access.

Just wipe the phone and get on with your life. And don't lend to people who don't seem like they need help.

Also nothing wrong in being a good samaritan to someone in need. A $1 call is not going to harm you.
    12-14-11 04:35 PM
    Don't lend out your phone if you are OCD (Germs, etc...) If in doubt, don't pull it out (Your phone that is)

Any cloth, some mild alcohol, some glass cleaner. Cleaning the screen is far simpler than doing something to your phone in under a minute.

Hope it all works out for you.
    12-14-11 04:42 PM
    numerous strangers have asked to use my BB before(LOL not happening)...im not aware of any scams the stranger could have been up to but with all the pay phones and places with land lines to use, why would you give someone you don't know your phone for any reason? if its an emergency i can dial the police for that person but thats about it....
    12-17-11 08:15 PM
    I just read about that being a common scam, they ask for to borrow your phone for an emergency call, you give it to them and they haul ***.
    12-17-11 08:18 PM
    I just read about that being a common scam, they ask for to borrow your phone for an emergency call, you give it to them and they haul ***.
    Yep, OP is fortunate it was a Blackberry.
    12-17-11 08:33 PM
    I wouldn't loan my phone to a family member

lol
    12-17-11 09:03 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD