I just signed up to a blackberry dataplan and finally got my blackberry.com email set up. I was wondering, is this the so called 'push email' that black berry is so famous for? I know in some countries they have to pay extra to get 'push email', so are they essentially paying more for this blackberry.com email?

I cannot log into the website to log in however as it says I don't have an account?

I find that in the mail settings, I can create a new username. When I click this I get a warning page saying this will be permament etc.

What is the purpose of this? Does this just activate the web based blackberry email. So does this move mean only that email settings will from now on only be accessible via the web browser and not directly via the black berry device?

thanks for helping
    04-28-10 09:26 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

The first step is to create your BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) account.

In addition to enablaing push email with up to 10 accounts, it also provides the data path for your Browser and most third party applications.

So does this move mean only that email settings will from now on only be accessible via the web browser and not directly via the black berry device?
    After it has been created, you can access BIS from your BlackBerry or from a PC.
    04-28-10 09:32 AM
    Yes, you must create a username and password in order to setup your e-mail on the BlackBerry. It does not mean that you can only access the settings from the web browser, you can always access them from your BB, this just makes it so you can access it on a web browser as well.

The username and password are in place so that you have an account with the BIS, this is where you can setup all your e-mail addresses on you BB.
    04-28-10 09:35 AM
    Thanks. What do they mean when they say:

"Currently, without having a login, you have secure access to BlackBerry Internet Service for your email settings. If you decide to create a user name and password, you will be required to log in each time. This will be a permament change!"

But I already just made a user name and password I believe, and got my email to work now strictly on the blackberry (but cannot log into the site), but why are they asking for an extra user name?
    04-28-10 09:37 AM
    Which carrier are you using?
    04-28-10 09:40 AM
    I am on a Canadian Virgin network.

There is more into to the quote:

"By creating a login for your BlackBerry Internet Service account, you will have access to your email account settings from a browser on a computer.

Complete the following steps:

1. Create a login

---text about needing to login each time to access email setup---

2. Validate email accounts

---text about typing in all email accounts and passwords to resume email delivery on blackberry device---"
    Last edited by BaconCanadian; 04-28-10 at 09:45 AM.
    04-28-10 09:42 AM
    Thanks, Virgin Mobile is part of the Bell Mobile, one of our National carriers.

If I understand correctly, you have activated your BIS account and you have added at least one email address. That should be all you need.

Have you tried to access the Internet through your Browser?
    04-28-10 09:49 AM
    This happened to me with VZW, here's what's going on. Currently, the only way that you can access the e-mail settings for your BlackBerry is thru your phone. What it's telling you is that by setting up a username and password, that you may access your e-mail settings from a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, or Firefox, etc. You can still access the e-mail settings thru your e-mail settings application on your BB, it will just ask you for your username and password to log in.

I did this because I personally find it quicker when I'm in front of a computer to go thru the e-mail settings. It is just another way that you can access your settings, completly up to you.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the same site for Virgin Canada, but here is the BIS login screen for Virgin Mobile:
    https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=virginmobile
    Looks like it's the only one for all of Virgin Mobile...
    04-28-10 09:54 AM
    Thanks guys. Yes I have created the blackberry.com email which works fine now cause I can send to my email account and recieves very fast.

I just didnt know what was mean about creating a user name again. I didnt want to click next in case I mess it up. So if I click next, I just re-type in the old user name and password (that I have already created and is working?)?
    04-28-10 10:01 AM
    I can totally understand that, no worries in clicking next, it doesn't mess anything up.

When I got my first BB I didn't have to authorize the change to access the settings from my computer web browser, I could just do it no problem. I'm guessing that with the updates to BIS since that time, that they have made this an option. I noticed it when I switched to VZW.
    04-28-10 10:05 AM
    I think after your BIS account is activated all of your email accounts are accessed through the BIS server. I had issues changing my password from the gmail webpage, I had to edit the password through the email settings icon. I think this links you to the BIS server which now realizes it has been changed. Otherwise it keeps trying to login with your old info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-10 10:13 AM
    I think after your BIS account is activated all of your email accounts are accessed through the BIS server. I had issues changing my password from the gmail webpage, I had to edit the password through the email settings icon. I think this links you to the BIS server which now realizes it has been changed. Otherwise it keeps trying to login with your old info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I've never done this, but I would assume that if you change your password on your physical Gmail account, that you would have to update your account settings within the BIS setup to reflect the password change.
    04-28-10 10:17 AM
    I've never done this, but I would assume that if you change your password on your physical Gmail account, that you would have to update your account settings within the BIS setup to reflect the password change.
    It is my understanding that BIS will try a couple with the password it has and if it can't login due to incorrect login info, it simply stops trying and your e-mail stops working.
    04-28-10 10:43 AM
    It is my understanding that BIS will try a couple with the password it has and if it can't login due to incorrect login info, it simply stops trying and your e-mail stops working.
    I would think that's how it would work. I wonder if it would prompt you that your login information is incorrect... Hmmmm...
    04-28-10 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD