I'm in agony right now cause I just dropped my curve! I've barely had it a couple of weeks : ( The other night my boyfriend, about to sit on my bed, tossed my BB to me when I wasn't expecting it and it bounced off the bed and hit the floor .. it was in the case and there was no damage or shutoff or anything .. but I immediately scowled at him and said "if anything goes wrong with this in the next while you're giving me YOUR curve!". LOL .. however .. worse happened to me today! I walked to the post office on my afternoon break to pick up two packages (I work just down the street from the Post Office). I didn't take anything with me (including my wallet which sucked cause at first they asked for idea for the parcel pick up) .. except my BB. Looking back on it .. I don't know why I felt the need to drag along my BB to the Post Office but .. well .. as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Anyway, one of the boxes was much larger than I had anticipated and I was really trying to balance them as I was heading back to my building. I laid my curve on top of the larger box and sure enough .. as I stopped to readjust my grip it fell off and hit the ground. Needless to say I let out a curse word and picked it up to assess the damage. The very top next to the mute button has the teeniest little chip of plastic .. I'm talking less than 1mm by 1mm and there are two pin sized marks on the reflective insert where the camera is. Most importantly though, my trackball surround had loosened a little bit and I had to press it back in. The damage is near non-existant or even visible without CLOSE inspection .. but I am horrified cause my curve was snug in its holster (the sleeve like case it came with) when it happened .. so I can only imagine if I never had it in there. I'm VERY careful with it since it was expensive .. but even in the most cautious treatment .. accidents happen and little drops occur (obviously). The trackball almost falling out was what made me nervous. I know this seems like a useless post .. but I know some of you guys share my pain .. and this incident makes me wonder .. how well do BB's hold up to accidental drops like this?
    11-04-08 01:30 PM
    I'm sorry about your curve!

I have a skin around my pearl and this leads me to wonder how much the skin would protect my pinkberry if I dropped it....
    11-04-08 01:35 PM
    I've dropped my Pearl at least 100 times in the past year and its still going strong! I've had to paint it a couple times though, just to cover up the scratches.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-08 01:36 PM
    ouch, I feel your pain. I scratched the screen of mine pretty good the other day, and I don't even know how. but you know.... it adds character
    11-04-08 01:46 PM
    When I first got my pearl I went to warped tour (huge concert event) & during one show it fell out of my pocket without my knowledge. Remember big concert, bunch of crazy kids jumping around..a friend picked it up after who knows how long it was on the ground & have it to me. Now on the front right has quite a bit of scratches. & I have dropped it many many times since than. But those are the major damages.

Still works fine, & I also think it adds character.

11-04-08 01:54 PM
    I have a Curve now but used to have the Pearl. I had it in my back pocket one day, went to use the restroom and forgot it was back there. Well you know the rest. It dropped right into the water. Luckily I hadn't started my "business" yet so I stuck my hand in there in a frenzy and pulled it out. I immediately took off the back cover and battery and used a hair dryer on the cool setting to try and dry it out. For a couple hours I tried to make calls and could barely hear the other party but then it started working again no problem. I could still see the water vapor on the screen for a couple days but other than that it was fine. A couple months later I dropped on the cement floor of my garage and it fell flat on it's back. It wouldn't come on at all so I got a warranty replacement. Well a few days later to my surprise it powered on by itself. I didn't think the Pearl was so sturdy but it kept on tickin!!!
    11-04-08 01:58 PM
    My first drop was in that nice little "Sleeve" they gave you. I had it for about two weeks too. I was walking and flung my arm a bit too hard well it went flying out of the sleeve and skidded across the floor. Luckily just a TINY scratch on the screen no one would have seen but me. Get a better case for it...trust me!!! Luckily, I got a new one when I had some minor issue and I took it in for tech repair lol

I share your pain though, been there, done that!!! Hang in there, you'll think about it less and less.
    Last edited by flchick75; 11-04-08 at 02:07 PM.
    11-04-08 02:05 PM
    I have not dropped my new curve, thank god. But my pearl has quite a few scrathes on it and they drive me nuts.

I can handle a scratch anywhere but the screen!

11-04-08 02:20 PM
    i might lose it if i ever drop my Bold!
    11-04-08 02:42 PM
    Sorry about your Curve, I feel your pain!
    11-04-08 02:55 PM
    I drop my phone a lot; I have a bodyglove case thats like some hard rubber material and its pretty banged up and what not, but the phone is still pretty nice looking..to me at least...; the screen on the case is scratched up a lot too, which makes me wonder how messed up my curve would be without it...you should get a hard case with a screen cover over it...and renters insurance
    11-04-08 03:15 PM
    I am so sorry to hear about your curve! I use to drop my work one all the time- but I really didn't care lol- infact we use to compare "battle scars" at my old job. Needless to say I am more careful with my personal berry- it has a rubber case and I bought this plastic screen that you place over the screen- its pretty cool- protects it against practically anything.
    11-04-08 03:18 PM
    The first time I dropped my bb I was like ahhhhh. But now Im like damnitttttt.
    11-04-08 03:40 PM
    I dropped mine a several times. It always happened when I was talking with the phone pinned between my ear and shoulder because I was using my hands for something else. I usually broke its fall with one of my feet prior to it hitting the ground. The Curve just seemed to be very slippery. I have since bought a rubber type skin for the phone and this seems to keep it in place when needed.
    11-04-08 03:46 PM
    i feel your pain 2.... i dropped my curve plenty of times and i haven't had any problems except for the fact that it shuts off every now and again while i'm in he middle of a call
    11-04-08 03:57 PM
    Well I feel sorry for you....I carry my baby naked although I just ordered BSE last weekend. Luckily I'm too anal to drop my phone (my last two phones were never dropped) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my BSE to get here.

11-04-08 03:58 PM
    Oh man, my heart drops when i get close to dropping my berry, my friend and i both recently got curves and well mine is in a lot better shape and just makes me take so much more care of it. His has a crack all the way down his screen i saw it one day and actually yelled at him, he was like what you expect anything else from me. I wonder is that why the bold has the leather back so its easier to grip? Either way almost everyone has dropped the berry at one time or another so we do feel your pain some worse than others. sorry to hear
    11-04-08 08:52 PM
    You know it will be ok, I know it feels as if its your first born. But my friend girlfriend was mad at her bf and tossed MY PHONE out the window down the highway and it lived to see another day. And no scratches except the indicator LED. So they are strong. No worries, and there is always insurance ( I highlt reccomend it, no matter how nice you are and how much you love your phone )

11-04-08 09:00 PM
    Wow! I'm shocked!!! I've dropped my Curve 8330 at least 5 times (really, really hard). At least 3 times where it skidded across concrete as it dropped from my lap as I exited my SUV, and TWICE I dropped from my horse who is REALLY tall! It's still going strong, with ZERO damage. I have a clear case on it that came from Ebay for $6. At $6, it's worth a shot - you should try it!!! If you're interested in the seller and the specific case, PM me! But YES, I feel your pain - I cringed each and every time, then sighed a HUGE sigh of relief when I saw all was well - no scratches or anything!
    11-04-08 09:42 PM
    mine fell once but it was on the carpet so no damage at all BUT i was still really upset haha at least it still works though right? that's the upside
    11-04-08 09:50 PM
    I've never dropped mine until recently because I keep it in a form-fit case attached to a neck lanyard so I never even have to worry about holding it when I'm not using it.

OK, so the one time I did drop it was when I forgot to snap the top of the case (I had taken it out to do a battery pull and I carry the bb upside down on the lanyard so it slipped out. D'oh!) and I was in the middle of a store. I heard it crash on the hard floor and I saw the battery cover go one way and the battery went the other. So I put the pieces back together and then I looked on the front and saw that the trackball and ring were gone! I did some searching and found them but the one of the clips had broken off the ring so I popped them back in as best as I could and luckily I had ordered an extra trackball housing set so I was able to switch them out when I got home.

Good thing is that nothing happened to the BB and there isn't a single scratch on it!
    11-04-08 10:12 PM
    i feel your pain 2.... i dropped my curve plenty of times and i haven't had any problems except for the fact that it shuts off every now and again while i'm in he middle of a call
    Damn.... I'll be much more careful on my curve to avoid that.
    11-04-08 10:24 PM
    Wow .. thanks for the responses everyone! All of your stories and reassurances have made me feel a little better! It's nice to know BB's are pretty tough! Last week I ordered myself a pretty decal skin for my BB (the offer came free with the phone, so why not?) .. but this was before I dropped it and I wasn't getting it for the protective aspect but moreso the cosmetic/decorative factor .. haha. Since I got the phone, I use the BB sleeve all the time .. I constantly have it in there but not because it looks good .. (personally I would rather SEE the device than cover it up) but mainly because it automatically puts it in standby for me! It's an effortless way to save battery and it has done VERY well with that. I wish I knew there was another way to have it go in to automatic standby (cause pressing that mute button is soooo time consuming .. haha .. but still ..you all get my drift). Anyway .. thanks to everyone who responded to my post .. I appreciate your support .. thats what I love about this site!
    11-05-08 07:00 AM
    I know what you mean... I have a pink curve and I was at the pediatricians office...just pulled into the parking lot and stepped out and plop...skidddddddddddddd went my berry. UGH! I've had it just a couple weeks too, so I TOTALLY feel your pain! She's got a few scratches in the corners but thankfully nothing on the screen!

I am now persuaded to get the rubber/silicone protector as well as the screen protector.

ugh. sorry you had to go through it.
    11-05-08 08:31 AM
    The cases are replacable with a bit of surgery. Rememebr that and you may be happier to let it get a few knocks. When it gets bad enough you can consider putting a whole new case on it :-)

I don't think the newer generations of BB are as robust as the older ones. That's the price of consumer friendly design. I have a old 7230 and 7290. They were pretty ugly by modern standards but REALLY robust.
    11-05-08 08:32 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD