The mini ipad that is being rumored would definitely be a problem for the playbook. I hope RIM realizes this and will maybe keep the playbook at $200 even if new hardware is released because that would give them a chance against the mini ipad.
    Also, I read somewhere that Steve Jobs said "7 inch tablets will be dead on arrival". I guess apple is not exactly obeying Steve jobs' thoughts and opinions.
    But for the current 7" tablet market, I'd say the Playbook is the best and I hope it stays the best when the mini ipad comes out. New hardware is needed in my opinion, just to re-catch the attention of customers. I love the current hardware but a new look is always a way to get people talking.
    05-11-12 02:23 PM
    1) It's a rumor. And not even a new one.

2) Can you say '10" Playbook'?

3) As it stands right now, the Playbook and iPad don't compete directly, even if you pull size out of the equation. Not when you consider pricing.

And, sure, the rumor is saying it's going to be in the $250 range, but the rumors before the "new" iPad had the iPad 2 remaining on sale for $299, when in fact it's $100 more.

It's not out yet, and no matter WHAT new devices arrive, it's the same Apple UI that at least some people have come to tire of. I can't wait to see what Cascades looks like on a Playbook.

Honestly, we have to get out of this seige mentality where we panic at every Apple product rumor. RIM doesn't have to beat Apple.
    05-11-12 02:31 PM
    The mini ipad that is being rumored would definitely be a problem for the playbook. I hope RIM realizes this and will maybe keep the playbook at $200 even if new hardware is released because that would give them a chance against the mini ipad.
    Also, I read somewhere that Steve Jobs said "7 inch tablets will be dead on arrival". I guess apple is not exactly obeying Steve jobs' thoughts and opinions.
    But for the current 7" tablet market, I'd say the Playbook is the best and I hope it stays the best when the mini ipad comes out. New hardware is needed in my opinion, just to re-catch the attention of customers. I love the current hardware but a new look is always a way to get people talking.
    I totally agree with you that the PlayBook is the best 7" Tablet on the market and the best priced for what you get...it is extremely powerful, and there is a guarantee that the 1st Gen PB will be getting the BB10 Update which is amazing! cant wait for BB10!

I do agree though with a 7" iPad Mini, RIM must keep prices below that of the iPad Mini, to offer reasons for people to purchase a PlayBook over the iPad (general consumer wont know that the PlayBook is clearly better ) lol

Butttt about what you said about steve jobs...yes he did say that about the 7" form factor, but one thing i have noticed about what steve jobs did in his lifetime, is that he would say all the right things at the right time....He said 7" form factor was DOA because they were releasing a 10" form factor and wanted the sales, so if he said it was DOA then consumers who love him would believe it! But Steve Jobs did similar things before, like he never believed they would have Video on an iPod or something, and that happened...he was very good at not trying to predict the future, rather he would see where and what people wanted and would give them that!
    05-11-12 02:35 PM
    I hope RIM is preparing for BB10 instead of trying to compete with Apple on every front.
    05-11-12 02:37 PM
    No one is buying the Playbook now, I don't think any future Apple releases will further hurt RIM's sales.
    05-11-12 02:38 PM
    will a 7' iPad hurt PB?... would you rather buy a 7' device at $200 or a 7' device at $500? ...

right now this is A RUMOR and until there is a set date and price, with specs and everything we need to know, you cannot possible answer this question.

In all honesty, I think that if a 7' iPad comes out and people realize that that screen size is PERFECT for portability and allows you to do everything a 10' tablet does it is GOOD for the playbook. The iPad will have more games and whatever other trendy things it needs to fill the voids that are left by its stock software, but the playbook will always be a better productivity/business device. Like ive said before, i know three people who have iPad2 and Playbook... they ALL prefer PB for internet browsing and reading articles as well as sending emails. I know that isnt a scientific study of any sorts... but it is MY first hand experience
    05-11-12 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD