I am aware of some of the tools that are available - Adblock was an example that is getting under the corporate skin of web advertisers. I also use Browserprotect, Ghostery, NoScript and the list goes on. I enjoy using Lightbeam and watching the relationship of the ''watchers''. I agree that Google is now showing new colors to users to lure them in their fold and make more money. The only way to stop this attitude from data collectors is to stop their revenue stream. If no money can be made - they will move on to real jobs
    Given this perspective what will the web consist of?

Subscriber only model?

How would crackberry even exist without the ad model that is so feared/ loathed on these forums?

Subscriber only forum

would likely solve the problem of dissenting posters

!
    06-01-15 08:52 PM
    My wife is happily using her new toys and is quite happy which means less complaining which she did when using her Z10�. That in itself says it all�. Still think BB is the better platform but can see from a consumer standpoint why they are having issues.
    You reminded me of when I convinced my wife to get a BB back around 97 or so. She loved it, it was a touch screen and back then we paid per text so I installed BeeJive so she could IM with her buddies. Life was good, then FB came on the scene and you know the rest of that story...
    06-01-15 08:53 PM
    Android M has the ability for the user to choose which permissions it allows, so Android security is about to get much more robust (for those who care enough to look at permissions). I am curious to see what is in the pipeline next for Blackberry, but I do fear that the huge security push in Android is going to erode the last bastion of strength for Blackberry.
    But security accounts for how much of the market???

It's like making a great deadbolt lock, as long as no one breaks in your home, most think the one they have is fine. And MOST makes up the profitable market. Same with corporate security, as long as the company isn't hacked and meets the standards, hard to get most higher ups to invest in more security.

Now with Android beefing up in that area and we know iOS has, BB's going to need a better message for the mic than just "security".
    06-01-15 08:59 PM
    Iv lived on the other side before my HTC one broke and I got stuck with a z10. The thing BlackBerry didn't understand is that the market will follow the apps and who makes the apps? Developers. Right now the system is too restricted and not rewarding. BlackBerry dev resources have gotten better tho but I don't see them competing with open source android anytime soon. They just need to breath some life into the market and stop making ugly phones with keyboards and they will be able to compete by the time windows mobile is on the rise

BlackBerry we want replaceable keyboards and launchers.
    06-01-15 09:10 PM
    I just asked 10 people here at work and not one of them has less than 10. All in the 30 to 50 range.

Then again not one uses a blackberry. No 1%'ers at this company.
    What a great name for the BB club... The 1%'ers...

But let's also keep this in perspective, other OS needs to app to do some of what BB does well natively like say email...
    Q10Bold likes this.
    06-01-15 09:16 PM
    3, 5, or 10? Not even close. Android and iOS users have around 50 on average. I
    To be honest, I had easily that many when I had PlayBook and on Z10 as well. It's an app world

Though I find I tend to use the same types of apps on all my devices (iOS, BlackBerry and Android)
    06-01-15 09:27 PM
    Take it from someone who's carried four premium Androids: They'll lag in 18 months.
    06-01-15 09:35 PM
    I love my Passport but I haven't even used Blend. Tried all night to get it to work on my iPad mini. No dice. Said screw it. Didn't even try to use it on laptop.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 09:39 PM
    You have no life
    06-01-15 10:53 PM
    You have no life
    Which one of the 50 or so people in this thread are referring to.
    06-01-15 10:54 PM
    I love my Passport but I haven't even used Blend. Tried all night to get it to work on my iPad mini. No dice. Said screw it. Didn't even try to use it on laptop.

Posted via CB10
    You didn't miss anything on the iPad mini, I got it to work but found you have to leave the app in the foreground or it didn't work. That means all you will be doing on your iPad is waiting with blend active... Not exactly what I call usable...
    06-01-15 11:07 PM
    You didn't miss anything on the iPad mini, I got it to work but found you have to leave the app in the foreground or it didn't work. That means all you will be doing on your iPad is waiting with blend active... Not exactly what I call usable...
    I hated my ipad mini. It was so slow. But like anything else, user experience varies.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-01-15 11:13 PM
    I hated my ipad mini. It was so slow. But like anything else, user experience varies.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I dropped mine from about knee high and the screen shattered. I got a Nexus 7 on the way. This will be my first Android device but I might as well get used to it since it appears BB is leaving us consumers to fend for ourselves...
    06-01-15 11:15 PM
    What most of you unsatisfied Die Hard BlackBerry users do not understand is that if BlackBerry were to make an ease of use device (which it does by the way) it would not be a BlackBerry Device. Please do not mistake this as a contradicting statement.

Every BlackBerry device is built around security - no less. Android devices are not!

You're right! Turn on the device and off you go... Open Season! A note to most...the backdoor is open. If Samsung was comfortable with their devices as is, then they would not need BlackBerry. Would they?

The biggest problem with open source software is that it is open to manipulation.
    GenghisKahn2011 and gokulesh like this.
    06-02-15 12:15 AM
    What most of you unsatisfied Die Hard BlackBerry users do not understand is that if BlackBerry were to make an ease of use device (which it does by the way) it would not be a BlackBerry Device. Please do not mistake this as a contradicting statement..
    I disagree, I didn't consider BBOS complicated to use... Yes it lacked apps but it was very strait forward, intuitive and easy to use...

IOW, you didn't have to learn to use BBOS... I'm still learning things about my Classic after 2 months of ownership...
    06-02-15 12:33 AM
    Wow, this thread turned... interesting. A couple of thoughts about apps. First, I too would like to know how many of those 50 billion Android app installs were then uninstalled. It's a deceptive and vague number, and intentionally at that. I'd also like to see a percentage breakdown of how many were productivity apps versus how many were games or how many were stupid camera trickery apps. In some ways, though, I guess the kind of app doesn't matter, because it allows Google to throw around a huge number without saying something like, "X% of the installed apps were crappy, irritating, money-grabbing, time-wasting, sorry excuses for games that you'll either uninstall right away out of rage or forget that you even have on your device." Second, someone mentioned how we shop at big department stores instead of gas stations or something, completely ignoring the fact that large stores like Walmart have pushed smaller-scale stores and specialty stores out of business. So, if we shop at place X, that's in many cases only because there are no alternatives Y and Z, so I'm not so sure that's such a good analogy to app stores.

Lastly, someone stated the more nefarious side of Google as nothing but a company that collects and sells data. I'm more in line with this, perhaps because I've read a lot of academic research on political economy and commodification. We may indeed have a certain amount of agency (or at least we feel like we do), but we are more than anything commodities sold to advertisers. And not only are we paid for for our particular value, we are then complicit as we pay hundreds, even thousands of dollars for our own commodification. So when an astronomically large multinational corporation such as Google or Apple promises to be able to bring together everything in our life in a "smart" way, from cars to homes to wearables, that's when I get suspicious. They're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts or for any reason resembling progress or egalitarianism; they have to deliver their product (us) to advertisers.

Posted via CB10
    undone and igor10000 like this.
    06-02-15 12:45 AM
    Wow, this thread turned... interesting. A couple of thoughts about apps. First, I too would like to know how many of those 50 billion Android app installs were then uninstalled. It's a deceptive and vague number, and intentionally at that.
    Or like me, after installing Google store I was like a kid in the candy shop and downloaded all kinds of apps onto my Classic, most of which I never use and others I don't even remember I have. I mean who routinely uses 50 apps??? And lives a normal life???
    cbSwim and igor10000 like this.
    06-02-15 12:51 AM
    Just to put some perspectives, what people "download" is actually different from the number of apps that one has as many apps come preloaded.

All the Samsung Apps will count just like All the BlackBerry Apps on BB10. So therefore you might see people say 30, 40, 50 but they actually downloaded probably Max 10 (excluding games of course.) Posted via CB10
    Just decided to do a quick count of how many apps I've downloaded since I started using my S5. Turned out to be 29 active, in-use apps. And I already went through and purged the ones I wasn't using. And I'm not including games either.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    06-02-15 02:03 AM
    Wow, this thread turned... interesting. A couple of thoughts about apps. First, I too would like to know how many of those 50 billion Android app installs were then uninstalled. It's a deceptive and vague number, and intentionally at that.
    Posted via CB10
    You mean like when BlackBerry told us how many people had downloaded BBM but didn't tell us how many un-installed it?
    06-02-15 02:16 AM
    Take it from someone who's carried four premium Androids: They'll lag in 18 months.
    Stop spreading crap.
    21stNow, DrBoomBotz and cribble2k like this.
    06-02-15 03:59 AM
    I just asked 10 people here at work and not one of them has less than 10. All in the 30 to 50 range.

Then again not one uses a blackberry. No 1%'ers at this company.
    OK, they downloaded 30 to 50 apps. Can you ask them how many of those they use every day? 3? 5? 10 tops? PS, games don�t count
    06-02-15 04:35 AM
    How many products in the grocery store have you used 1%? Yet you shop at stores with wide selection instead of a gas station.
    I buy my daily groceries at a small corner store.
    06-02-15 04:36 AM
    Or like me, after installing Google store I was like a kid in the candy shop and downloaded all kinds of apps onto my Classic, most of which I never use and others I don't even remember I have. I mean who routinely uses 50 apps??? And lives a normal life???
    Exactly. Back when I did have an Android tablet, I too went on a downloading spree. Games, productivity, travel, finance, etc. The ones that I didn't delete, I totally forgot were even there. And I doubt we're far from the norm. So this "average of 50 app installs per Android user" is really a misleading argument.

Another thing to bring into the equation is the average technology user. The average user is incredibly uninformed about not only what their tech (smartphones, in this case) can do, but also about what they allow it to access, save, and disseminate. In short, the average user is... stupid, to put it bluntly, and their ignorance is both exploited by tech companies to the latter's financial advantage and exacerbated by tech companies' narratives of "it just works," "there's an app for that," "don't question our methods," "you're holding it wrong," "we represent progress," etc. One of the biggest dangers as far as I'm concerned is the perceived inevitability of connected everything, or the imperative that we should connect everything.

Posted via CB10
    Vorkosigan and BoldMaverick like this.
    06-02-15 05:40 AM
    You mean like when BlackBerry told us how many people had downloaded BBM but didn't tell us how many un-installed it?
    It applies everywhere, pal. Why would you think I'd leave BlackBerry out?

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 05:42 AM
    The apps mantra never ends. Ask anybody about how many apps they downloaded in total. 3? 5? 10 tops?

Posted via CB10
    I have well over 20 on my Z30 currently, mostly Android. Would probably have more if things actually worked better. And it isn't just apps. It is interoperability with third party device.

Posted via Z30
    06-02-15 07:06 AM
195 12345 ...