Before I begin let me say I am a dyed in the wool BB user. Love my Z30 am unfortunately saddled with an I phone 6 for work. This is not one of those annoying I am leaving post as I have no intention of leaving as I love my BB Z30and plan on a slider or Passport when my Z30 dies� However I can better see why BB is having a hard time in the consumer market after setting up and playing with my wife�s new smart phone and tablet. She wanted a tablet and as BB had none decided on Android. I purchased an LG 3G phone and Samsung Tab 4 for here. The LG comes with Android lollipop and the Sammy has KitKat. I have to say I am impressed with all aspect of these 2 devices especially how the interconnectivity works and ease of use. Had the units up and going in no time� All apps installed and worked beautifully�.Minimal learning curve. This bought me to something I had commented about a couple of months ago. In the consumer market� Blackberry sort of works. I seems you have to do a lot of tinkering to get things to work� especially apps�. I have heard the case about features such as Blend which is great� but I installed a program on Android call Might Text�. It allowed me to Text on my PC, Phone and tablet. Notifies me of incoming calls and texts on all devices. Not a full featured as blend but was mega easy to set up and use. Of course all this being said what is does lack and for me it is a big one is Security. All the permissions you �need� to grant is frightening. I use to scoff at those who proposed BB make a secure Android phone. If they could make one with the quality of the LG and Sammy Tab� they might just have a chance in the consumer market. My wife is happily using her new toys and is quite happy which means less complaining which she did when using her Z10�. That in itself says it all�. Still think BB is the better platform but can see from a consumer standpoint why they are having issues.
    rarsen, potatoguy and phuoc like this.
    06-01-15 11:33 AM
    You've actually seen how the other 99% live. As you know, at this point BlackBerry is only interested in how their phones can support their business customers. BlackBerry's consumer market pretty much consists of diehard BB fans and those they manage to convert as well as a few others who hate Microsoft and want anything but Android or Apple phones.
    06-01-15 11:53 AM
    My sis and niece both got Z10 from me. The rest of story is the same as yours - up in no time, no learning curve.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 11:54 AM
    diehard BB fans
    = freaks, you mean?

Posted via CB10
    arkenoi likes this.
    06-01-15 11:56 AM
    Android M has the ability for the user to choose which permissions it allows, so Android security is about to get much more robust (for those who care enough to look at permissions). I am curious to see what is in the pipeline next for Blackberry, but I do fear that the huge security push in Android is going to erode the last bastion of strength for Blackberry.
    06-01-15 12:01 PM
    Android M has the ability for the user to choose which permissions it allows, so Android security is about to get much more robust (for those who care enough to look at permissions). I am curious to see what is in the pipeline next for Blackberry, but I do fear that the huge security push in Android is going to erode the last bastion of strength for Blackberry.
    IMHO, app permissions do not equal overall security.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 12:18 PM
    Always good to see people be unbiased on crackberry. You don't see that often.

I hope the company or day can get to a long where we can all confidently say they are easily one of the better consumer options

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 12:23 PM
    Yeah as a consumer there really isn't any reason to stick with BlackBerry, especially those of us that they converted to VKB with the Z line and want nothing to do with a PKB anymore. A non-BES BlackBerry is no more secure, the apps aren't there and require side loading to get access to decent app sources, and BlackBerry has stated that they are not going to be putting effort into any consumer focused initiatives. I mean I have stayed with this company through the PlayBook debacle and now BB10, and appear to have been just and alpha and beta tester for them. Maybe they'll announce something before the next iPhone release that might change my mind as I really like the BB10 UI, but it is going to have to be mind blowing stuff to not bail.

Posted via Z30
    1magine, Soapm, eldricho and 2 others like this.
    06-01-15 12:33 PM
    IMHO, app permissions do not equal overall security.

Posted via CB10
    The one feature/function of itself, probably not. Except that granular app permissions isn't the only step being taken to harden Android's security, the last couple of OS versions have been working towards the security goal. It's just one more piece added to a rapidly filling puzzle, and Android M is getting dangerously close to completing that goal.
    Soapm likes this.
    06-01-15 12:36 PM
    To me, although the hardware and finally the UI is nice and matured, it's about Slavery in the terms of Survitude.

I'm not a whole and do not wish to have my personal identity and preferences in who I am, what I do and where I choose to do things and with whom that is completely unique to me be SOLD for the highest and soon in 10yrs even for worse the lower dollar!!

This isn't NYC of the mid 1800's = a slave port. Read your history kids.

This post is NOT a Joke. Think about air miles, then what Google does, it's about taking your preferences then selling them for data mining and warehousing and feeding you annoying ads via so many apps and what do you get for yourself being FREE?!

Air miles at least has several connections where you can get a LOT of value but that looks to take some serious time to value add up.

Google?! They pay you NOTHING! Absolutely NOTHING! That IS being FREE? Lame excuse you're still paying serious dollars for real hardware to perform all tasks for the majority of apps. Yes there IS an App Gap even on android: if your hardware is not up to snuff nor tested against by the vendor apps will not work- try the health apps you'll see. Point being is Google is making billions their stock is over $450 adding value to the most deepest pocket investors....

So where exactly is YOUR CUT? At least a street hooked gets paid for something that is hers and hers only and she can always choose whom with - regardless of how desperate, the choice is ultimately hers. That profession is dangerous and not likely pimps make it any safer, but there is some sort of security that blocks things.

Why is this analogy relevant?
    Hooker potentially us in Android ecosystem
    The "goods" they offer, your personal identity habits friends for the same and the DATA you provide whether knowingly or not!!
    Pimps, permissions for that data and some protection against rogue Johns,
    Choice: the prostatitis chooses ultimate what goods wil be available or in our case the data that will be provider. At least the protest itself gets paid, heck a price was even set.

I see a LOT of android users as completely clueless and naive, setting no price on how much and which data has value or more value than others?!?!

If it Don't Make Dollars, hehe you know the rest!

BlackBerry, accept no substitute nor compromise!
    lift, KKrusher, playfoot and 4 others like this.
    06-01-15 12:53 PM
    Yeah as a consumer there really isn't any reason to stick with BlackBerry, especially those of us that they converted to VKB with the Z line and want nothing to do with a PKB anymore. A non-BES BlackBerry is no more secure, the apps aren't there and require side loading to get access to decent app sources, and BlackBerry has stated that they are not going to be putting effort into any consumer focused initiatives. I mean I have stayed with this company through the PlayBook debacle and now BB10, and appear to have been just and alpha and beta tester for them. Maybe they'll announce something before the next iPhone release that might change my mind as I really like the BB10 UI, but it is going to have to be mind blowing stuff to not bail.

Posted via Z30
    The apps mantra never ends. Ask anybody about how many apps they downloaded in total. 3? 5? 10 tops?

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 and DarkJoker33 like this.
    06-01-15 02:01 PM
    The apps mantra never ends. Ask anybody about how many apps they downloaded in total. 3? 5? 10 tops?

Posted via CB10
    How many products in the grocery store have you used 1%? Yet you shop at stores with wide selection instead of a gas station.
    21stNow, Cynycl, ccbs and 18 others like this.
    06-01-15 02:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    3, 5, or 10? Not even close. Android and iOS users have around 50 on average. If you only have 3, 5, or 10, then that's only because you don't have many apps available to you. Whenever I upgrade to a new device (or upgrade the OS), I have over 100+ apps that automatically upgrade/reinstall with it. And yes, I use all of them often enough to warrant keeping them on my devices.

Penned via Tapatalk
    06-01-15 03:08 PM
    You've actually seen how the other 99% live. As you know, at this point BlackBerry is only interested in how their phones can support their business customers. BlackBerry's consumer market pretty much consists of diehard BB fans and those they manage to convert as well as a few others who hate Microsoft and want anything but Android or Apple phones.
    99%? Does that make all blackberry users 1%'ers?
    gebco and Thunderbuck like this.
    06-01-15 03:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    I just asked 10 people here at work and not one of them has less than 10. All in the 30 to 50 range.

Then again not one uses a blackberry. No 1%'ers at this company.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    06-01-15 03:17 PM
    I like IOS so much more than Android... I wouldn't trade my ipad for any Android tablet out there. I went thru 4 Android tabs (bought, hated, returned) before I got the ipad and I won't go back.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.680
    jmr1015 likes this.
    06-01-15 03:20 PM
    I just asked 10 people here at work and not one of them has less than 10. All in the 30 to 50 range.

Then again not one uses a blackberry
    Actually, wouldn't it be interesting to do a survey to see how many on average apps is being used by people on different mobile OS?
    I would guess maybe 30 ~ 50 on average for Android and iOS, maybe 15 ~ 25 on Win 8.1 and 3 ~ 10 on BB10.
    What y'all think?
    06-01-15 03:23 PM
    Actually, wouldn't it be interesting to do a survey to see how many on average apps is being used by people on different mobile OS?
    I would guess maybe 30 ~ 50 on average for Android and iOS, maybe 15 ~ 25 on Win 8.1 and 3 ~ 10 on BB10.
    What y'all think?
    It would probably only require looking at earnings reports, or platform specific events. Take the recent Google I/O. They showed 1 billion active users with 50 billion app installs. That averages out to 50 apps per user. Now I can't speak for Apple/iOS, but I don't imagine they're much different.

Penned via Tapatalk
    06-01-15 03:35 PM
    All the permissions you “need” to grant is frightening. I use to scoff at those who proposed BB make a secure Android phone. If they could make one with the quality of the LG and Sammy Tab… they might just have a chance in the consumer market.
    It's not just the app permissions you need to be "frightened" of, but all of Google's services and programs collect usage data and send it all back to Google. Remember, Google made android as a platform to collect data for advertising and they collect it from more places, programs and services than you can ever imagine.
    You say it is very easy to setup and use. Don't be fooled, That's if you don't mind being opted in to all the data collecting and tracking. There is a TON of tweaking to do if you don't want Google to know everything about you and everything you do.
    thymaster likes this.
    06-01-15 03:52 PM
    It's not just the app permissions you need to be "frightened" of, but all of Google's services and programs collect usage data and send it all back to Google. Remember, Google made android as a platform to collect data for advertising and they collect it from more places, programs and services than you can ever imagine.
    You say it is very easy to setup and use. Don't be fooled, That's if you don't mind being opted in to all the data collecting and tracking. There is a TON of tweaking to do if you don't want Google to know everything about you and everything you do.
    Bullocks. You have to opt in to each of their services. Every new user is given an explanation (in very plain wording) for each of their services, and is given an "are you sure" chance to change your mind. You're not automatically opted in to anything.

Penned via Tapatalk
    06-01-15 04:03 PM
    Before I begin let me say I am a dyed in the wool BB user. Love my Z30 am unfortunately saddled with an I phone 6 for work. This is not one of those annoying I am leaving post as I have no intention of leaving as I love my BB Z30and plan on a slider or Passport when my Z30 dies… However I can better see why BB is having a hard time in the consumer market after setting up and playing with my wife’s new smart phone and tablet. She wanted a tablet and as BB had none decided on Android. I purchased an LG 3G phone and Samsung Tab 4 for here. The LG comes with Android lollipop and the Sammy has KitKat. I have to say I am impressed with all aspect of these 2 devices especially how the interconnectivity works and ease of use. Had the units up and going in no time… All apps installed and worked beautifully….Minimal learning curve. This bought me to something I had commented about a couple of months ago. In the consumer market… Blackberry sort of works. I seems you have to do a lot of tinkering to get things to work… especially apps…. I have heard the case about features such as Blend which is great… but I installed a program on Android call Might Text…. It allowed me to Text on my PC, Phone and tablet. Notifies me of incoming calls and texts on all devices. Not a full featured as blend but was mega easy to set up and use. Of course all this being said what is does lack and for me it is a big one is Security. All the permissions you “need” to grant is frightening. I use to scoff at those who proposed BB make a secure Android phone. If they could make one with the quality of the LG and Sammy Tab… they might just have a chance in the consumer market. My wife is happily using her new toys and is quite happy which means less complaining which she did when using her Z10…. That in itself says it all…. Still think BB is the better platform but can see from a consumer standpoint why they are having issues.
    I can relate to your situation. Some years ago, we were both on legacy devices & PlayBook. Handling legacy devices was not for the faint of heart. At a certain point, those units were replaced with iPhone & Ipad. Now all is quiet - no more tech questions. I am still with BlackBerry (Q5/Z30) and my PlayBook was sold on eBay.

Then again not one uses a blackberry. No 1%'ers at this company.
    Just to put some perspectives, what people "download" is actually different from the number of apps that one has as many apps come preloaded.

All the Samsung Apps will count just like All the BlackBerry Apps on BB10. So therefore you might see people say 30, 40, 50 but they actually downloaded probably Max 10 (excluding games of course.)

Posted via CB10
    igor10000 and bh7171 like this.
    Bullocks. You have to opt in to each of their services. Every new user is given an explanation (in very plain wording) for each of their services, and is given an "are you sure" chance to change your mind. You're not automatically opted in to anything.

Penned via Tapatalk
    BULL. Google by default links all your apps, browsing, search, email, etc.
    They don't do that for your convenience, they do it for their data collecting. Stop sticking up for a company that cares ZERO for you and wants nothing but your information and data. How anyone can stand behind android/Google is just way beyond my comprehension.
    ArcPlug, Tkarps, tmf06 and 1 others like this.
    06-01-15 04:11 PM
    BULL. Google by default links all your apps, browsing, search, email, etc.
    They don't do that for your convenience, they do it for their data collecting. Stop sticking up for a company that cares ZERO for you and wants nothing but your information and data. How anyone can stand behind android/Google is just way beyond my comprehension.
    Yeah... You are completely misinformed as to how Google works. They don't do it by default, and claiming otherwise is just FUD based on your inexperience.

Penned via Tapatalk
    06-01-15 04:15 PM
    To me, although the hardware and finally the UI is nice and matured, it's about Slavery in the terms of Survitude.

I'm not a whole and do not wish to have my personal identity and preferences in who I am, what I do and where I choose to do things and with whom that is completely unique to me be SOLD for the highest and soon in 10yrs even for worse the lower dollar!!

This isn't NYC of the mid 1800's = a slave port. Read your history kids.

This post is NOT a Joke. Think about air miles, then what Google does, it's about taking your preferences then selling them for data mining and warehousing and feeding you annoying ads via so many apps and what do you get for yourself being FREE?!

Air miles at least has several connections where you can get a LOT of value but that looks to take some serious time to value add up.

Google?! They pay you NOTHING! Absolutely NOTHING! That IS being FREE? Lame excuse you're still paying serious dollars for real hardware to perform all tasks for the majority of apps. Yes there IS an App Gap even on android: if your hardware is not up to snuff nor tested against by the vendor apps will not work- try the health apps you'll see. Point being is Google is making billions their stock is over $450 adding value to the most deepest pocket investors....

So where exactly is YOUR CUT? At least a street hooked gets paid for something that is hers and hers only and she can always choose whom with - regardless of how desperate, the choice is ultimately hers. That profession is dangerous and not likely pimps make it any safer, but there is some sort of security that blocks things.

Why is this analogy relevant?
    Hooker potentially us in Android ecosystem
    The "goods" they offer, your personal identity habits friends for the same and the DATA you provide whether knowingly or not!!
    Pimps, permissions for that data and some protection against rogue Johns,
    Choice: the prostatitis chooses ultimate what goods wil be available or in our case the data that will be provider. At least the protest itself gets paid, heck a price was even set.

I see a LOT of android users as completely clueless and naive, setting no price on how much and which data has value or more value than others?!?!

If it Don't Make Dollars, hehe you know the rest!

BlackBerry, accept no substitute nor compromise!
    I wholeheartedly agree that our personal data being sucked up and also stolen without our consent should be twarted as much as possible. On the PC side - as an example - AdBlock has been taken to court by advertisers. To make a long story short - the advertisers lost. There will come a time when privacy tools will become very efficient and protect users. When that time arrives - data mining companies will start paying for our personal info. As it stands now, we are part of the open ''data mining buffet'' and the buzzards are having field day.
    lift and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    06-01-15 04:18 PM
195 123 ...