How is anyone supposed to get any work done when this app is constantly deleting my contacts, rearranging everything, duplicating everything. It's driving me crazy. I just needed a very important number which had been saved in my phone for a year. And now it's just gone. Wtf is going on here and is there a way to reboot this app so it hopefully comes back?

Z30 10.2.1.537
    04-03-14 03:48 AM
    Go into the contacts settings, enable all your accounts to be shown and you've got a chance it's still there in one of the accounts. Also, in my personal experience, I've not had a contact be deleted but it ceased to be visible because it had linked with another contact and was "hiding" under a different name. I use Contact X to backup, restore and merge duplicate contacts and this works well for me but I have to merge by number not name as similarly named contacts may be merged and that causes hell. Anyway, I hope this helps a little and hope you resolve this issue. I know it can be frustrating but by using Contact X once a month, I can happily report all is well in my phone book.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141 O2 UK
    04-03-14 04:04 AM
    How is anyone supposed to get any work done when this app is constantly ....
    Z30 10.2.1.537
    There are already several threads on this topic. I've had my Z10 for almost a year and it's been doing this b/s since the beginning, regardless of the OS installed. Yeah. It's annoying as f. I've given up on BlackBerry fixing it.

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F
    04-03-14 04:25 AM
    Mine has been perfect since I took gmail contact sync off. But I believe I updated OS at the same time so not sure which fixed it.

Posted Via CB10 - Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.2141
    04-03-14 04:51 AM
    How is anyone supposed to get any work done when this app is constantly deleting my contacts, rearranging everything, duplicating everything. It's driving me crazy. I just needed a very important number which had been saved in my phone for a year. And now it's just gone. Wtf is going on here and is there a way to reboot this app so it hopefully comes back?

Z30 10.2.1.537

I feel with you...
    That's one of the really few things that do bug me a lot on BB10. RELIABILITY (in terms of contact management, e.g. feedback on what the contact app is up to, why it's messing around and when. Sometimes reliability of gps and location services.)

I would really like to see more user feedback on what's happening... why did a contact get merged in the first place (same email, phone number, mojo,... )
    I just don't like it when stuff happens (like magic) and I can't say why.
    Sometimes the whole merging and contact stuff works out really well... but please at least give me some info why the contacts app is empty from time to time.

Overall the concept is really nice but this reliability part is a major concern for me! Sometimes I am really frightened if the number I am storing right now will show up tomorrow... or not.
    Last edited by endevour; 04-03-14 at 07:25 AM. Reason: you're a sentence, act like it!
    Doggerz and KingOfQwerty like this.
    04-03-14 06:51 AM
    I feel ya man. Trusting contacts to BB10 is some scary stuff!

via CB10 using a Z10 / STL100-3 / RFK121LW / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    shaleem likes this.
    04-03-14 07:00 AM
    Never had an issue. Mine works perfectly but I never use 3rd party apps to touch my contacts. Unless the app is built by BlackBerry like BBM, I do not allow permissions to my contacts, especially android apps.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 07:05 AM
    Never had an issue. Mine works perfectly but I never use 3rd party apps to touch my contacts. Unless the app is built by BlackBerry like BBM, I do not allow permissions to my contacts, especially android apps.

Posted via CB10
    You've never had duplicates or scrambled contacts? How do you backup? Do you use an email provider or link or what? Cause I'd love to never have a problem I just don't know how to do that. Things have settled down some after I deleted Facebook app. Wonder if I should delete twitter too. They are both BlackBerry apps though.

Maybe I'll do a clean install and really watch my permissions. I just never had to do anything special with 7.1. It just worked. I hope BlackBerry can make the contacts as reliable as it used to be for people who are not as careful as you. But you're on to something and I guess I need to do what you're doing in the meantime.

via CB10 using a Z10 / STL100-3 / RFK121LW / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    04-03-14 07:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    I totally get that there are people who have never even had the slightest issues concerning contacts.

BUT for me (yes I need to sync quite a lot, using GMail, LinkedIn and Twitter [guess with Facebook even more syncing/merging needs to be done) it's not that easy.
    At the current state I try to avoid every editing of contacts at all. (Cause I want to avoid either an empty contacts app or strange behaviour of the phone app [that one might lose interest in showing names to some numbers])
    AND I am a (mobile) software developer myself... I look into stuff if I see it's broken and try to fix it...
    I can only image that I might probably not be the only one with such problems... and that means it needs to be addressed.

If BlackBerry reads this, I AM EAGER TO PROVIDE additional data and info on configuration, accounts and behaviour. PM me.
    04-03-14 07:34 AM
    Edit your contacts within gmail or outlook or msn first then sync it to your phone. Wjen saving a new contact, only choose one main contact place like gmail.

That did the trick for me, no more deleting contacts. Also outlook account seems more reliable.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 07:39 AM
    I have solved this issue by transferring all my contacts to my sim card and deleting them from Google contacts and all other email accounts any new contacts I have to enter I save on sim only or local memory. This problem arises when you have multiple email accounts with the same contacts on each of them that's why we get duplicate entries in contacts. Same thing with Facebook as well so I don't give it permission to access my contacts. Hopefully 10.3 will solve this annoying problem but I'm not holding my breath lol

Z30 and loving it!
    rallen562 likes this.
    04-03-14 09:35 AM
    The only work around I have found is to restart the phone and leave Contacts open. I have been doing this for 6 days with no additional battery drain and no lost or hidden contacts. I'm working with a Z30 -5 on the latest official OS directly from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 11:08 AM
    I have contact saved through 2 web; Outlook and Gmail.On My Z 10 contact>setting>account list> I turned off Gmail contact.
    When I go to contact choose wife then I can see the duplicate phone number even though the Gmail contact to show is off.

I also have a Lumia 520 (cheap phone). Now I did the same thing as above and when I choose her name only one phone number appear.

So way much better handle in Windows Phone. And they were linked automatically while in my Z 10 I had to link them one by one.
    04-03-14 12:04 PM
    The only work around I have found is to restart the phone and leave Contacts open. I have been doing this for 6 days with no additional battery drain and no lost or hidden contacts. I'm working with a Z30 -5 on the latest official OS directly from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I should also mention that I have a Gmail, Yahoo, and LinkedIn active on the phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 12:21 PM

Z30 10.2.1.537
    Get yourself a cloud contact solution like gmail. Never had a problem like you describe.
    04-03-14 12:37 PM
    Join the club! If you want your contacts to work properly (relatively though) this is what you do:
    1. Unlink everyone
    2. Disable Social Media contacts
    3. As said above: put all contacts on your SIM

It should not be this way, but unfortunately it is and there's no real solution to the problem as of yet. Most of us were looking forward to a fix through the dozen 10.0 updates, the 10.1 and MR update and all the way through the few 10.2 updates. We're looking forward to 10.3, but don't hold your breath for too long. It probably won't be there either.
    04-03-14 12:47 PM
    I was thinking the same thing because I find it extremely frustrating they to work on this problem asap.....come on its a blackberry used for business it's suppose to be a tool a d the contact app which is the most important thing is screwing up.....that is not acceptable at all
    04-03-14 12:53 PM
    This was one of the reasons why I decided to try Android. The difference is amazing.
    The fact blackberry hasn't fixed it by now is disgraceful.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    look_alive likes this.
    04-03-14 05:34 PM
    I just don't get it. They've tried to make it so smart and adaptive and blah blah, when all people really need is something that acts as an alphabetically-tabbed paper phone organizer.

Posted via CB10
    rallen562 likes this.
    04-03-14 05:57 PM
    I've not read through all the responses, but if this is a GMAIL account, maybe you could try logging into the Web interface via the device. Maybe the Contact list there is still 'current'.

This seems to be a common issue with Gmail Contacts.

I'm not saying to switch to Outlook.com, but I'm yet to have this issue with Outlook.com. Albeit people do complain Outlook doesn't sync avatars. But who needs those

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 06:02 PM
    I have to agree with the above. I had major issues when on Gmail, and moved to outlook.com (admittedly I wanted to move across anyway). Since then, I haven't noticed the issue.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 08:11 PM
    The only thing worse then the contacts app is the facebook integration within the contacts app.. if I turn off Facebook sync, I still see half of them and they won't go away. And why if I'm sending a text message do Facebook contacts come up?... Drives me nuts

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    04-03-14 08:38 PM
    I just don't get it. They've tried to make it so smart and adaptive and blah blah, when all people really need is something that acts as an alphabetically-tabbed paper phone organizer.

Posted via CB10
    I like your comment!
    bob_tn likes this.
    04-04-14 10:31 AM
    The only thing worse then the contacts app is the facebook integration within the contacts app.. if I turn off Facebook sync, I still see half of them and they won't go away. And why if I'm sending a text message do Facebook contacts come up?... Drives me nuts

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    You can disable the Facebook from within the Contacts App. Swipe down from the bottom and select settings. You can turn on and off what you want to see.
    ZayDub likes this.
    04-04-14 10:32 AM
    I've posted many times with gripes regarding the contacts app so this thread is no surprise to me. I'm actually surprised there are not more of them!
    BlackBerry's are first and foremost a messaging tool (nobody is buying them for apps, games or otherwise) & the fact there are so many issues boggles the mind! The basic features of this tool need to exceed expectations & blow people away, working on its 'strengths'. I personally will not use another phone & some features like the HUB do fit the bill. HOWEVER, this contact app is just about, unforgivable! These issues have been going on from day one, & like a few other posters here, I avoid performing certain functions in contacts for fear of them messing with the app! In Kevin's list of 25 features that need improving, this contacts app should be number 1,2 and 3. We should not just have to work around it & hope for the best. BB10 (contacts) NEEDS to exceed expectations & deliver more features than we could ever hope to use & have them be bulletproof... PERIOD!

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 01:13 PM
118 123 ...