Once those numbers got released about Appworld, I have been waiting to see the first negative article about them by the media/blogs and it took awhile but here it is over at maximumpc dot com /article/news/rims_app_world_numbers_not_great_reported]

Sorry not enough posts to have the ability to post links.

It reads to me as if he is clutching at straws with his conclusions on the numbers, am I wrong or blinded by my love for Blackberry?
    02-07-12 05:25 PM
    "Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.” Homer Simpson

I love the last two sentences of the article. "It’s not as big as the App Store or Android market, but developers can still make a living making BlackBerry apps. For how long we cannot say."
    I'm starting to think RIM doesn't have a chance with jabs like this constantly and its only getting worse.
    02-07-12 05:33 PM
    Here is the link if anyone is interested: RIM's App World Numbers Not as Great as Reported

He's just clearing up a couple of strange statistics that you see repeated about the Blackberry store. One is the percentage of developers who have grossed over $100k. I've always thought that was a strange statistic given that there were obviously so few developers in that market.

Further, it's sort of a silly statistic to talk about because if/when there are more developers willing to commit to Blackberry, then that number would inevitably decrease. And larger development shops are not going be impressed by the $100k figure to begin with. So the whole thing doesn't make sense, except perhaps to indy developers looking for a first mover advantage if BB10 takes off.

Likewise with the other 40% greater downloads number, which also doesn't make sense mathematically when you remember that there are fewer apps in the BB store. And again, that number will mostly likely decrease now that there are 60,000 apps.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-07-12 at 05:35 PM.
    02-07-12 05:33 PM
    Blinded, maybe. But to be fair, every company loves to play with statistics. It's very easy to say something factual, while trying to convey something that isn't.
    Last edited by decypher44; 02-07-12 at 05:37 PM.
    02-07-12 05:35 PM
    Here is the link if anyone is interested: RIM's App World Numbers Not as Great as Reported

He's just clearing up a couple of strange statistics that you see repeated about the Blackberry store. One is the percentage of developers who have grossed over $100k. I've always thought that was a strange statistic given that there were obviously so few developers in that market.

Further, it's sort of a silly statistic to talk about because if/when there are more developers willing to commit to Blackberry, then that number would inevitably decrease. And larger development shops are not going be impressed by the $100k figure to begin with. So the whole thing doesn't make sense, except perhaps to indy developers looking for a first mover advantage if BB10 takes off.

Likewise with the other 40% greater downloads number, which also doesn't make sense mathematically when you remember that there are fewer apps in the BB store. And again, that number will mostly likely decrease now that there are 60,000 apps.
    I agree that those numbers seem strange. With over 60,000 apps, and 14% of developers make over $100k, that would seem to me to imply that there is alot of developers out there making said $100k+. When you look at the biggest AppWorld downloads, I'd say there are maybe 10 apps that are "must haves" for BB users. I'd be really interested to see who these "developers" are and which apps they are making that are generating that kind of revenue..

Unless JaredCo is one of them, and they're including revenue generated from spam texts..
    Last edited by Rickroller; 02-07-12 at 05:47 PM.
    02-07-12 05:41 PM
    Maybe 14% of the app world developers do make over $100,000...they didn't say the money all came from app sales. DID they?
    02-07-12 05:56 PM
    Maybe 14% of the app world developers do make over $100,000...they didn't say the money all came from app sales. DID they?
    I spit out my water on that one...
    02-07-12 06:21 PM
    What I don't understand is why did they compare the numbers to the Android store. Everyone knows the Android store may have a lot of apps, but does not make a lot of money. Why didn't they compare it to the only app store that really matters at the moment when it comes to revenue? That would have been a more telling comparison.
    02-07-12 07:18 PM
    "Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.� Homer Simpson
    hahahaha I love that! and so true...
    02-07-12 07:18 PM
    Yup, and 27% of the writers that write crap without proof eat their own boogers!
    02-07-12 07:27 PM
    What I don't understand is why did they compare the numbers to the Android store. Everyone knows the Android store may have a lot of apps, but does not make a lot of money. Why didn't they compare it to the only app store that really matters at the moment when it comes to revenue? That would have been a more telling comparison.
    If your implying the other fruit company that claims 15 billion downloads, many of them are tunes and not apps. With RIM having a dedicated music store expect them to add them to the download count.

It doesn't matter what us the consumer thinks in regards to figures. The reality is developing on the BB platform is highly profitable. More and more apps are coming everyday. In short order RIM will have tools that will allow for QNX apps to be of the best in the business....Don't worry...be happy

RIM is going to have the best HTML5 support(which is the future). Native tools that will support the broadest developer reach..According to Alec Saunders. 70% of Android apps will be supported on the QNX platform....In short order we'll have more apps then we know what to do with. Just sit back and get ready to go from going to have too few apps to having more than we know what to do with
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-07-12 at 07:57 PM.
    02-07-12 07:47 PM
    If your implying the other fruit company that claims 15 billion downloads, many of them are tunes and not apps.
    I don't know where you get that number, but when Apple announces app downloads and money paid, they are not including music, just apps. You are just factually wrong about that. Again, comparing the numbers to a store known to have trouble making money seems sketchy. Did they have any comparison to WP7? Just curious.
    02-07-12 08:05 PM
    For me I believe this is def true
    I had IOS for 3 years spent zero dollars on apps,
    but had over 50 apps on all my iPhone models.
    Same thing with Android for 6 months zero dollars,
    but had around 20-25 apps.
    Now with my Blackberry I have 1 whole year
    I spent over $40 in apps and only have 10 apps on my
    phone.
    02-07-12 08:08 PM
    I don't know where you get that number, but when Apple announces app downloads and money paid, they are not including music, just apps. You are just factually wrong about that. Again, comparing the numbers to a store known to have trouble making money seems sketchy. Did they have any comparison to WP7? Just curious.
    I could be wrong...However it isn't important enough for myself to track down figures...lol...I should have added an IMHO
    If your implying the other fruit company that claims 15 billion downloads, many of them are tunes and not apps.
    Actually false, at last report it was 15 billion apps downloaded from the iTunes store, 5 billion in just the five months prior to the report. One billion apps downloaded per month during that period.

Tech Crunch iTunes Stats as of June 6, 2011

Just FYI, in case anyone was confused.

I could be wrong...However it isn't important enough for myself to track down figures...lol
    Oh LOL! Wow.
    One more thing about Android apps. I'm no fan of the Android market. It seems more like Cydia on iOS than the App Store proper. Having said that, It is only fair to recognize that while Android users tend to spend less money up front on apps, preferring free offerings, developers make a larger percentage of income on ad support and in-app-purchases.

Those figures never get tallied into the equation. RIM seems to be playing games by comparing different business models. For once in my life, I will speak up for Android. Their business model needs to be taken into account when comparing numbers in this matter.
    02-07-12 08:12 PM
    Actually false, at last report it was 15 billion apps downloaded from the iTunes store, 5 billion in just the five months prior to the report. One billion apps downloaded per month during that period.

Tech Crunch iTunes Stats as of June 6, 2011

Just FYI, in case anyone was confused.

Oh LOL! Wow.
    Lol....what? App store figures are something that I really could care less about. Hence why I made the mistake of not including an IMHO, which I regularly do when speculating or generalizing a topic I have no knowledge about
    02-07-12 08:15 PM
    I could be wrong...However it isn't important enough for myself to track down figures...lol...I should have added an IMHO
    I see. So you are just making up negative facts about the App Store to make RIM look better. No problem. Nice shot. My turn.

Apple has paid out $4B to app developers by the end of Jan, 2012. Oh, wait... I was supposed to be just making stuff up.
    02-07-12 08:17 PM
    Lol....what? App store figures are something that I really could care less about. Hence why I made the mistake of not including an IMHO, which I regularly do when speculating or generalizing a topic I have no knowledge about
    -Withdrawn, we're over it! Peace-
    Last edited by Palmless; 02-07-12 at 08:34 PM.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    02-07-12 08:25 PM
    I see. So you are just making up negative facts about the App Store to make RIM look better. No problem. Nice shot. My turn.

Apple has paid out $4B to app developers by the end of Jan, 2012. Oh, wait... I was supposed to be just making stuff up.
    That wasn't the intent..I made a mistake ..the other two paragraphs in the post show the context of what I was implying. I'll now respect the OP and let the thread get back on track My apologies OP
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-07-12 at 08:33 PM.
    02-07-12 08:29 PM
    ---withdrawn!---
    Last edited by Palmless; 02-07-12 at 08:36 PM.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    02-07-12 08:33 PM
    ---withdrawn!---
    Ditto......
    missing_K-W likes this.
    02-07-12 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD