Remember when Thorsten said the future does not lie in Tablets (at least in regards to BlackBerry I think)? I have always wondered why and how he came up with that reasoning in the first place. How was he so convinced that tablets aren't going to be a primary point of mobile computing, especially when so many of these things have been sold across the board and are highly popular?

Didn't the iPad prove that the tablet form factor is a big selling machine?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
    07-19-13 02:17 PM
    Who knows. He says a lot of things that turn out to be wrong
    07-19-13 02:22 PM
    Haha I actually second that for some reason...

Lendo and Grumblegrumble like this.
    07-19-13 02:26 PM
    Remember when Thorsten said the future does not lie in Tablets (at least in regards to BlackBerry I think)? I have always wondered why and how he came up with that reasoning in the first place. How was he so convinced that tablets aren't going to be a primary point of mobile computing, especially when so many of these things have been sold across the board and are highly popular?

Ask MS.

Microsoft skids on Surface, earnings disappoint | CTV News

Why the Surface RT Failed and the iPad Did Not - NYTimes.com
    07-19-13 02:29 PM
    That's mixing up two parallel subjects - the surface RT failed because it is crap, Heins is claiming there is no future in tablets as a device outside of being effectively dumb terminals.

But yes the answer is more than likely "Heins does a lot of talking..." and the fact that Blackberry failed completely in that space and needs a good narrative about why it is not trying again.
    Last edited by cgk; 07-19-13 at 03:28 PM.
    07-19-13 02:32 PM
    BBRY couldn't differentiate itself in the Tablet market and they aren't really a large hardware company so being competitive on hardware is difficult for them.

He couldn't really come right out and say... "we just don't know how to make money in the tablet market"... so he said something grandiose about the future and put into question the very idea of even trying.

But it is looking like the problems they had in the tablet market are following them to the smartphone market too.
    07-19-13 02:33 PM
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 02:40 PM
    Although I haven't actually followed this as much as I probably should have, I'm fairly sure they didn't discard the tablet concept outright, but merely the idea that the tablet needs to be more than a peripheral to another device, specifically your phone, as part of an overall "mobile computing platform".

Again, not having followed this much (as I had banked on BB10 coming to the PlayBook, at which point I expected some renewed interest in that devcie), I get the impression they picture you as, say, an enterprise user, walking into a room and grabbing a tablet peripheral, pairing it with a quick NFC tap (or whatever) to your phone, and proceeding to use it to interact with your content without a second thought. The tablet would have minimal computing power itself, but would leverage your phone's capabilities for most of the heavy lifting.

Picturing something Star-Trekian sometimes helps me envision what they might have in mind... I think the idea was that each tablet that Picard grabs from his desk does not act as a self-contained, full computer, but is merely displaying information from elsewhere (the main computer, obviously). Swap the ship's main computer for your overpowered little phone and maybe that approximates something like what they have in mind.

I might have got that wrong, but my point is simply that they didn't say they've written off tablets, period. Just tablets as they currently exist. I don't necessarily agree, but I don't disagree strongly either, and I assume this wasn't an idea pulled entirely out of thin air but would have been based on feedback from their most important segments. (Note: I don't think those segments necessarily include a bunch of vocal fans on CrackBerry, sad though that may be to many.)
    07-19-13 02:41 PM
    A lot of tablet makes aren't really making money off tablets...

He's right in a sense.
    -Reason above.
    -BB burned their audience so badly with the last tablet decisions, I wish them luck on trying to sell another one...
    -Also a lot of manufacturers are moving to phones large enough to replace tablets.

So they might as well just avoid them.
    07-19-13 02:45 PM
    If you ever saw the BB concept video prior to BB10 it was the grandiose vision of using your phone as part of a bigger network of devices. The phone was basically your identity for access to additional application while you where 'docked' at a 'desk' that gave you more traditional input devices like keyboard/mouse/monitor. The docking was basically putting it on the desk, access control being from a BES10 station. etc...It also acted as a badge to get into the building. The idea of that video isn't that far fetched, why would you need a tablet, if all you have to do is 'dock'
    djdragon and Revampd like this.
    07-19-13 02:48 PM

My .02: Right now, any tablets or whatever is released by BlackBerry will stumble out of the gate until something is done to convince consumers: 1) to actually look at BlackBerry as a viable alternative to Android and Apple, 2) to purchase whatever's next for BlackBerry and build trust, and 3) that BlackBerry is solid and is going nowhere. LOL. The same consumers that buy a new phone every 6 months are concerned about buying a new BlackBerry if the perception is that it's going under. So, what do you do if you don't want to compete in a specs war with the other platforms? You make d*mn sure that whatever smartphone you bring to the masses will give them a not good, but great user experience and market the h8ll out of it. To me, that indicates that you believe in your product. People want what they want and everybody loves a winner. But, you lose alone. No, I'm not saying that it won't sell at all, but, time is a factor when you're trying to catch up to the others platforms. Plus, the others are not waiting.
    07-19-13 02:54 PM
    Because there is no tablet market, there is only an iPad market. Even Android struggles in the tablet space aside from some key players. People don't want tablets, they want iPads.

Hang out in electronic shops and listen to normal people talk when they come in. You'll often hear them ask for an iPad when really, they mean that cheap POS Android tablet that they saw on the front of the flyer that was on sale for $89.

When the sales people show them an iPad, they love it.......until they get told the price and then they'll start asking about that $89 one again.
    07-19-13 03:04 PM
    Tablets and phones are just mobile computing objects, one makes calls one doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 03:11 PM
    Tablets and phones are just mobile computing objects, one makes calls one doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    Ok. Thank you.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-19-13 03:18 PM
    why would you need a tablet, if all you have to do is 'dock'
    What do you dock with when you aren't in your workplace? When you are travelling on a train or a plane, or you are at someone else's place of work, or you are at home on the sofa or sitting in the garden and need a bigger screen to read or edit documents?

You'd need a tablet, whether that's a smart tablet or dumb tablet. And I'm not at all convinced that there is a market for dumb tablets that depend in a phone on a world full of smart tablets that don't. BlackBerry already tried that with the initial release of the PlayBook that needed a Blackberry phone for Email, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Notes. It failed spectacularly.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 07-19-13 at 05:03 PM.
    07-19-13 03:19 PM
    I think in a near future there wont be PC's neither, you'll have your phone with all the apps and data you need and dock it to peripherals when you get home or your office, maybe something like that is what TH is talking about and in that way I believe him. A tablet will be a bigger peripheral display for your phone (something like the Star Trek thing above), every concept video on the web (Blackberry, Microsoft, etc.) show almost the same idea of that, the real fight now is who gets there first. Certainly all manufacturers have to match the PC's capabilities (processing and storage) to get there, but they are getting very close every year.
    BB10QNX likes this.
    07-19-13 03:30 PM
    Maybe he meant "playbook" when he said tablets.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    07-19-13 03:41 PM
    What do you dock with when you aren't in your workplace? When you are travelling on a train or a plane, or you are at someone else's place of work, or you are at home on the sofa or sitting in the garden and need a bigger screen to read or edit documents?

You'd need a tablet, whether that's a smart tablet or dumb tablet. And I'm not at all convinced that there is a market for dumb tablets that depend on a phone on a world full of smart tablets that don't. BlackBerry already tried that with the initial release of the PlayBook that needed a Blackberry phone for Email, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Notes. It failed spectacularly.

Posted via CB10
    Fold out flexible screen? Docking via a wireless connection exist today, anything could be used to dock to in theory. Take HDMI out and make it wireless, sitting on your couch using your phone as a keyboard and your TV as the monitor. I think tablets are a dead end like Netbooks before them. A portable cpu that connects to anything is the future. Smartphones prove that.
    07-19-13 03:46 PM
    He said that he doesn't think people will carry tablets in 5 years from now anymore (because he thinks there'll be technology that will cannibalize the kind of tablets we use today).

And I agree with him. The iPad proves nothing. It's only viable for Apple because of the iOS ecosystem and primarily it's a consumption device. The second viable tablet concept is the Kindle Fire, which is sold at cost as a digital media distribution device. Other than those two there is NO viable tablet market. Heins is right on this.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 03:55 PM
    Yup, exactly, simple, low cost, different sized touch screens running off your phone which can be remotely tapped into your office/home PC or just running the "internet of things" .
    07-19-13 03:57 PM
    tablets will be dead when phones become 7 inches.
    07-19-13 04:06 PM
    He's not the only one. Toshiba also thinks the same thing.

http://m.techradar.com/news/mobile-c...ssure--1149841

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 04:11 PM
    I think that it would be smarter to think of BlackBerry's as portable computers like TH describes them. it seems like the goal should be to make them our everyday computers that plug into "shells." What I mean by "shell" is a device with a monitor and keyboard or some sort of tablet that you could simply plug your phone into. Wouldn't it be awesome to go to any library and plug your phone in and slide it into a slot thus making that "shell" exactly the same as your phone/home computer?! They could also be strategically placed in public areas.

Posted via CB10
    danprown likes this.
    07-19-13 04:25 PM
    One of the biggest issues that BlackBerry is failing to recognize is that customers are buying hordes of tablets, and they are not BlackBerry tablets, because there isn't an option. This means that people who buy tablets are getting deeper entrenched in _other_ vendor ecosystems.
    07-19-13 04:27 PM
    True, but if the future is in "shell" devices then they may not be making a bad decision by focusing on cell phones.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 04:30 PM
192 123 ...