thanks for all the help guys. It seems like it's going to be really useful. It shows me in my house and when I walk outside it moves with me.

How accurate are the directions usually? This feature alone makes this phone worth the money. They should have it automtically set instead of having it on 911 only because a lot of people probably don't know you can use the GPS. I'm glad they unlocked it.

I had read on here you couldn't use it for Verizon until I saw that they unlocked it. Someone helped me out and it works! Now I'm excited about my phone again!
    04-28-09 08:49 AM
    What are you using for gps? Blackberry maps? That's always worked for me. The problem is with google maps and other third party gps apps that are better and more informative than bb maps.

Glad you got it to work though.

Enjoy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 09:26 AM
    Uhhh how?! I would love to use google maps and other apps with gps!

04-28-09 10:00 AM
    I want to know too! Did you sub to the VZW Nav?
    04-28-09 10:06 AM
    Yes what app are u using? To my knowledge the only apps that will work with GPS on vzw are blackberry maps & vz navigator. Google maps is awesome but it will only give me a "guestimate" to my location.

04-28-09 08:17 PM
    Must be using Blackberry Maps, cause unless **** has frozen over I'm sure Google Maps isn't working with Verizon anytime soon.
    04-28-09 08:28 PM
    Must be using Blackberry Maps, cause unless **** has frozen over I'm sure Google Maps isn't working with Verizon anytime soon.
    It works via tower triangulation..
    04-28-09 08:33 PM
    It works via tower triangulation..
    Um, yeah, obviously, but not to a very accurate location. I'm talking about within a few meters like it SHOULD be. Knowing my location within several blocks only in most cases is pretty much useless to me.
    04-28-09 08:43 PM
    I'm using BB maps.

I tested it out more yeseterday and it was on point. The red dot followed me exactly where I was. I could even move in the room and it would show it. I walked to the road and it showed me right at the road.

Anyone who wants to know how to do it and doesn't know. It's simple.

Go to options app on your phone. Click advanced options. Click GPS and change it from 911 only to on or whatever it says.

Then go to BB maps and click start gps navagation. If you have a data plan which most of us do it's free so even if it isn't perfect it's still a great feature to have for free.

It may take a second for it to find a satellite but once it does it works pretty well. It's probably not as good as a real gps or anything but you can't carry around a gps while you walk around downtown and you always got your phone with you. It's very useful. I keep the gps feature on and I didn't notice any more battery drain or anything.
    04-29-09 07:42 AM
    Unfortunately, the GPS only works with the inferior BB Maps. However, Verizon in all their @&#$ arrogance locks GPS on all other applications including Google Maps. I swear, if I wasn't going to get whacked with a huge termination fee, I'd switch to another carrier because this policy pisses me off to no end. I have 6-8 other apps that are crippled or severely neutered by Verizon locking the GPS.
    04-29-09 08:12 AM
    Unfortunately, the GPS only works with the inferior BB Maps. However, Verizon in all their @&#$ arrogance locks GPS on all other applications including Google Maps. I swear, if I wasn't going to get whacked with a huge termination fee, I'd switch to another carrier because this policy pisses me off to no end. I have 6-8 other apps that are crippled or severely neutered by Verizon locking the GPS.
    That wouldn't be enough to make me switch. Verizons service works so good I can deal with gps only being on BB maps. I've tried other companies and I can't go back to any of them. Verizon is just flawless where I live.
    04-29-09 08:42 AM
    Google Maps can still be used if you don't mind shelling out more dough to circumvent VZW's GPS lock. I know it's obvious and you shouldn't have to do it what with the phone having one built in, but you can get a BT GPS transceiver.
    04-29-09 09:33 AM
    hmmm.. verizon unlocked the gps about 6mths ago google and bb should now work on any bb.
    04-29-09 09:46 AM

Your welcome over here at Sprint, I guess after reading this Sprint customers are kinda spoiled
    04-29-09 09:47 AM
    Your welcome over here at Sprint, I guess after reading this Sprint customers are kinda spoiled
    Except for those of us with the m... Google Maps doesn't like the 8330m's GPS either.
    04-29-09 09:49 AM
    Has anyone had an issue with your BB not finding satellites? I used to use the maps feature frequently and now, all of a sudden, it won't find a satellite.

Any ideas?
    04-29-09 09:50 AM
    Yea, Ive never gotten mine to work.

Whenever I open up BlackBerry Maps, and click START GPS NAVIGATION...it just says searching for satelites at the bottom
    04-29-09 10:43 AM
    i had a curve (at&t) and it worked great with the garmin mobile app. now i have a bold and it, too, is flawless. my wife's vzw 8330 wont work at all. ive tried amazeGPS but that won't work. it's not worth it to spend $10 a month for vz navigator so i guess the vzw people are gps-less, for now. i agree... it's incredibly arrogant and silly that they lock the gps.
    04-29-09 11:24 AM
    Yes, it is ridiculous for Verizon to lock the GPS but the VZ Navigator is pretty good , other than having to pay an extra fee for it. Not as nice as an interface as the Garmin but it works all right in a pinch.
    My Google maps and BB maps both work to about the same extent other than working with VZ nav. They are both about the same in accuracy from what I have tried.
    If it weren't for the great service I would have left Verizon for this reason along with a few others that don't belong in this thread.
    04-29-09 12:14 PM
    So are you using the BB maps that already an app preloaded? Or is it something you downloaded?

04-29-09 01:02 PM
    hmmm.. verizon unlocked the gps about 6mths ago google and bb should now work on any bb.
    The GPS is unlocked only on the Storm, for every other BB on Verizon, it's VZNav and BB Maps only.

So are you using the BB maps that already an app preloaded? Or is it something you downloaded?

If you don't have it on your Berry, make sure you have a copy of the OS you are running on your Berry installed on your PC. Open up desktop Manager, open up the Apploader, make sure Blackberry Maps is checked off, click Next. Apploader will load the BB Maps application to your Berry.
    04-29-09 01:48 PM
    I have no problem with it finding satellites. It only does it when I first start it up for about 20 seconds and then it comes on. Do you have an EV signal? I don't know if that really matters but I have a good EV signal and it seems to work.
    04-29-09 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD