So four months ago I found a blackberry at Disneyland..i turned it in..it was never claimed and i got it in the mail today. I charged it up..(it was compatible with my motorolas charger) and now what..its password protected. I have no desire to access someone elses personal data..but id at least like to be able to do something with the phone. I may be able to find out who it belongs to. It was dead when i turned it in. Anyone know how to get into one of these things??? It looks like someone tried 7 times...because on the password screen it says 7/10 .. I read somewhere about them wiping themselves out? I guess this would be fine as well but then how do i ever get it to work again? Never had a blackberry..there like Latin to me. Im actually about to get an iphone so maybe i should just toss this thing? Looks very fancy though! Anyhelp is appreciated.. Its a 8830 World.. Verizon

Thanks!
    Eden
    edenmariejames.com
    Last edited by edenmarie; 11-30-07 at 07:02 PM. Reason: adding model number of phone
    11-30-07 07:01 PM
    A. That phone is locked to the Verizon network in the US and GSM for outside the US. If you are not a Verizon customer, you won't be able to make it work.

B. The Blackberry features are most likely locked to a specific user on the Verizon network. You can't reset that. It has to be done by the original owner.

Bottom line..... to you.. it's a paperweight.
    11-30-07 07:51 PM
    Dang Dang Dang! I work in entertainment on a big show with lots of emphasis on high tech computer crap and i called our tech department and someone over there is making some calls.. Can i wipe the whole thing clean and start fresh at least. Im sure there is someone i know that has verizon that i could give it to..

Thanks for your response.

Eden
    11-30-07 08:21 PM
    I thought it was as simple as taking it to a store or calling VZW, have them check the IMEI and see who its registered to and BOOM, original owner found. If no one has claimed it and the device is wiped, I assume its safe to say you can activate it.
    11-30-07 08:33 PM
    I thought it was as simple as taking it to a store or calling VZW, have them check the IMEI and see who its registered to and BOOM, original owner found. If no one has claimed it and the device is wiped, I assume its safe to say you can activate it.
    Good advice.
    11-30-07 10:25 PM
    You can fail the last three incorrect passwords and the unit will restore itself to its original settings and all saved data will be completely erased. At that point someone in the verizon world can try to activate it.
    12-01-07 01:31 AM
    Hey! I have been looking all over for that thing! I can't believe I left it Disney world! I'll give you a 50.00 reward for finding it! Send me a email and I'll give you my address! of course I am just kidding! What's that saying? Finders keepers losers weepers? After four months, its yours! If I lost my BB within minutes I would have cashed in my insurance! Sell it on here!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-07 05:45 AM
    If you are honestly trying to return it to the rightful owner, kudos to you. You may want to take it into Verizon and tell them. They can look it up in their system. But, here at CrackBerry, we take device security very seriously and cannot allow discussion of found/stolen devices and activating them. For that reason, this thread is closed.
    12-01-07 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD