I left BlackBerry for a Windows phone and will.. it's not bad but I love BlackBerry more. I've been using my Q10 for several months now and after going to a Lumia 635 for a few days, I decided to grab my Q10. IT'S SO FREAKING FAST! I guess I got so used to it that I didn't realize how fast it actually was. I'm not trying to like slam Nokia because it's a great device and I do believe Microsoft can go far with Windows 10 on the phones. Microsoft has more than BlackBerry as far as being connected but for speed and being fluid, BlackBerry takes the win. I'm hoping to get a Passport in the coming months or wait and see what BlackBerry shows off soon. Have any of you ever left BlackBerry and felt bad about it? Lastly, what brought you back to BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 04:01 PM
    BB10 is amazing, best OS out to date. That comment is an undisputed fact. That said, personally I would love to see a complete full industry change.
    I would love to see a lot more BB10 and Windows Phone platforms dominating. It's about time we have change.
    I've said this many times, iOS is the cause of mobile innovation "Stagnation". They've wrecked the industry.

I am not a fan of WP at all, perhaps WP10 will change my opinion, but I do find it "A LOT" better than iOS.

Posted by Q5
    02-14-15 04:12 PM
    A while back the HTC M8 caught my eye with its slick all metal design. I borrowed my Brothers old Xperia Z to try out Android for two weeks to find out if I could make the leap to Android. Let's just say I have blocked out all memories of those two weeks lol

Loving my Passport!
    02-14-15 04:21 PM
    I left blackberry years ago after using a 9780 for about a year. I could have bought a Z10 at time, but I'd like to see what's around before going back. I don't regret taking that step because now I have experience with others devices and I want to come back. For me, it's better to choose blackberry because I tried others devices and realized it's a better one for my needs than sticking with it without knowing what the others could offer me.
    02-14-15 04:28 PM
    A while back the HTC M8 caught my eye with its slick all metal design. I borrowed my Brothers old Xperia Z to try out Android for two weeks to find out if I could make the leap to Android. Let's just say I have blocked out all memories of those two weeks lol

Loving my Passport!
    Haha, Sony doesn't make bad phones hardware wise but software wise, I don't like it.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 04:28 PM
    Have any of you ever left BlackBerry and felt bad about it? Lastly, what brought you back to BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    I left BlackBerry briefly to an iPhone 4, but a friend gave/eventually bought a GNote N7000. At the time it was the 'wtf' is that phone/device ... a lot of laughs, some 3 years down the road the size now is moot, given the Note 4/5, iPhone 6/6+

The GNote was at that time revolutionary and was the iPhone 5/5s. Battery management was the killer blow in the end. I went back to a combination of my 9700 - battery life 2+ days and iPhone 5s. Did i feel bad about it. At the time it was like a new car feeling, then the familiarity of knowing what worked came back. I used the GNote for well over a year.

A year ago i spotted a well kept Q10 and traded the 9700 & sold the GNote. What brought you back to BB. The BB for me was always about communication - calls, sms, emailing & all with excellent battery life. Generally speaking today's consumers are all about multimedia/entertainment/social media/larger screens and have the expectations that the battery should last. Really? Screen size, dual/quad core processors are battery killers. i'd argue that people today are on their respective devices about 1/2 their waking hours.

I went back to BlackBerry for a number of reasons.
    1. Communication.
    2. Kept the iPhone 5s for multimedia.
    02-14-15 05:15 PM
    Microsoft has more than BlackBerry as far as being connected but for speed and being fluid, BlackBerry takes the win.
    It's because you were using a $50 smartphone with a low end processor?

That's one of Microsoft's major problems. It hasn't come out with a mid-range device for a long time. When it comes time to purchase a new >100 USD smartphone, Windows Phone simply doesn't have an answer. Most of the reason for this is because Microsoft wants to save everything for Windows 10, which is taking forever to launch.
    02-14-15 05:26 PM
    BB10 is amazing, best OS out to date. That comment is an undisputed fact. That said, personally I would love to see a complete full industry change.
    I would love to see a lot more BB10 and Windows Phone platforms dominating. It's about time we have change.
    I've said this many times, iOS is the cause of mobile innovation "Stagnation". They've wrecked the industry.

I am not a fan of WP at all, perhaps WP10 will change my opinion, but I do find it "A LOT" better than iOS.

Posted by Q5
    I, too, would love to see a big change in the industry and I think it will happen... it's just a slow process.

Personally, I think a big step would be Google and Apple allowing their services on other devices. It's a joke that you can't have Google Services on any device (without a workaround) or that iTunes isn't available on other mobile platforms (not that I would jump into that but I'm sure there are more people who do use iTunes but don't necessarily own an iPhone). I won't bank on this happening though.

An even bigger step I would love to see is being able to choose your hardware and OS separately. I love the Passport and BB10 so I'm pretty content, but I definitely can relate to the BlackBerry users in want of a killer spec'd all touch device. It would be great if the manufacturers allowed their device to be loaded with any software their customer chooses. I know there would be hardware complications but it would be a very awesome free market if that change ever saw the light of day!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-14-15 05:28 PM

That's one of Microsoft's major problems. It hasn't come out with a mid-range device for a long time. When it comes time to purchase a new >100 USD smartphone, Windows Phone simply doesn't have an answer. Most of the reason for this is because Microsoft wants to save everything for Windows 10, which is taking forever to launch.
    I'd consider the Lumia 830 a mid range device along with the Lumia 1320. They are much faster of course but I've played with high end Windows phones and they don't seem to keep up with BlackBerry at times. I'd much rather prefer an 830 but I didn't want to spend a ton of money and not like the system. That's why I got the Lumia 635 because it was cheap and if I didn't like it, I wouldn't lose a ton of money.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    02-14-15 06:10 PM
    I'd consider the Lumia 830 a mid range device along with the Lumia 1320.
    The Lumia 635 and 830 use the exact same processor. Its like how Blackberry uses the same Snapdragon S4 processor in everything.

It's also why people keep saying the mid-end Windows Phone doesn't exist despite the Lumia 730, 830, etc. No one in their right mind would buy those considering they actually have no CPU difference from the Lumia 530. There is a small upgrade in GPU and RAM. Also, you just get a lot better deal with Android. Those are like the Q5 fiasco on Windows Phone.

The Windows Phones with modern-ish processors are the hard to find Lumias 1520/930 or HTC One M8 with Windows. Everything else uses the same/similar processors unless you go back a generation to the Lumia 920.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-14-15 06:46 PM

Posted by Q5
    Steve Jobs himself admitted that fact, by saying Apple is suffering from the Innovator's Dilemma. Can't move forward (don't leave existing customers confused or disgruntled), but needs to innovate to stay relevant.

Excerpt from that famous leaked email:

"...
    -PC as hub for all your digital assets - contacts, calendars, bookmarks, photos, music, videos
    - digital hub (center of our universe) is moving from PC to cloud
    - PC now just another client alongside iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, ...
    - Apple is in danger of hanging on to old paradigm too long (innovator's dilemma)
    - Google and Microsoft are further along on the technology, but haven't quite figured it out yet- tie all of our products together, so we further lock customers into our ecosystem
    ..." (emphasis mine)

That was end of 2010. Now it's nearly 4.5 years later!

Some pretty revealing statements in the whole email, tells you a lot about Steve Jobs' and Apple's mindset in general. Read it, if you have never read it before.

:-)

�   Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?   �
    02-15-15 03:10 AM
    Steve Jobs himself admitted that fact, by saying Apple is suffering from the Innovator's Dilemma. Can't move forward (don't leave existing customers confused or disgruntled), but needs to innovate to stay relevant.

Excerpt from that famous leaked email:

"...
    -PC as hub for all your digital assets - contacts, calendars, bookmarks, photos, music, videos
    - digital hub (center of our universe) is moving from PC to cloud
    - PC now just another client alongside iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, ...
    - Apple is in danger of hanging on to old paradigm too long (innovator's dilemma)
    - Google and Microsoft are further along on the technology, but haven't quite figured it out yet- tie all of our products together, so we further lock customers into our ecosystem
    ..." (emphasis mine)

That was end of 2010. Now it's nearly 4.5 years later!

Some pretty revealing statements in the whole email, tells you a lot about Steve Jobs' and Apple's mindset in general. Read it, if you have never read it before.

:-)

�   Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?   �
    I also read some of the famous Steve Jobs emails and the one important part they have been successful at is locking folks into their ecosystem and their product line.

Apple is in almost the same position as Blackberry was years ago, but they have taken it to the next level because they have the best customer support, a loyal following and 200 billion in cash reserves that's only going to increase.

They are in a unique position where they don't have to innovative allot, they can just improve on what already works. They now how the money and the moxie to be around for years to come because the dynamics have changed.

I seriously doubt that something new and innovative is going to come out anytime soon that's going to knock them off of their pedestal.

What amazes me is that they are in the same position that Blackberry was years ago, the only thing that's different is they listened to the consumer and delivered a product they asked for and have been rewarded handsomely for it. Basic business concepts 101 folks.

Sent from my lovely classic on T Mobile USA
    02-15-15 04:20 AM
    I, too, would love to see a big change in the industry and I think it will happen... it's just a slow process.

Personally, I think a big step would be Google and Apple allowing their services on other devices. It's a joke that you can't have Google Services on any device (without a workaround) or that iTunes isn't available on other mobile platforms (not that I would jump into that but I'm sure there are more people who do use iTunes but don't necessarily own an iPhone). I won't bank on this happening though.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    I'm sorry but that absolutely makes no sense. Why would Google or Apple do this? Those are things that keep people buying their products and they have no reason to make it open for all OS's to use and would be stupid to do so. Blackberry didn't open up BBM because they believed in a free market where all services should be available to all manufacturers. They did it out of desperation because BBM was dying and had no choice but to do it. Why doesn't Blackberry make all of their services open to the public. Make Blackberry travel cross platform or launch a hub app for all platforms to use. They would never do that because they want to keep their services internal to keep people buying their products. It makes absolutely no sense for Apple or Google to open up any of their services. It would be like Coke telling Pepsi "We will allow you to put our exact ingredients in your can and you can tell people that its Coke but in a Pepsi can." In what universe would something like this make sense?
    02-15-15 05:32 AM

What amazes me is that they are in the same position that Blackberry was years ago, the only thing that's different is they listened to the consumer and delivered a product they asked for and have been rewarded handsomely for it. Basic business concepts 101 folks.

Saying that Apple is in the same position as Blackberry a few years ago but that they listened to the consumer and delivered a product they asked for doesn't exactly put them in the same position Blackberry was in a few years ago. In fact it puts them in the opposite position Blackberry was in a few years ago.
    marty314 and lnichols like this.
    02-15-15 05:37 AM
    My initial thought exactly, but then again, isn't Windows Phone so famous for its efficiency and UI smoothness and speed? While a Lumia 635 (which isn't Microsofts 50 Dollar bottom offering btw) may not have the processor of a 930 or 1520, it also has a much lower res screen. In fact, the Lumia has a 480 * 854 screen which is less than the resolution the Q10 has (around 410,000 pixels on the Lumia vs 520,000 on the Q10). At the same time the Lumia packs in a quad core 1.2 snapdragon 400, which may be arguably faster hardware than the Q10's dated 1.5 GHz dual core S4 Plus.

All things considered, his point pretty much stands.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 07:57 AM
    I also read some of the famous Steve Jobs emails and the one important part they have been successful at is locking folks into their ecosystem and their product line.

Apple is in almost the same position as Blackberry was years ago, but they have taken it to the next level because they have the best customer support, a loyal following and 200 billion in cash reserves that's only going to increase.

They are in a unique position where they don't have to innovative allot, they can just improve on what already works. They now how the money and the moxie to be around for years to come because the dynamics have changed.

I seriously doubt that something new and innovative is going to come out anytime soon that's going to knock them off of their pedestal.

Price - as Android improves their phones while lowering their price they might overtake Apple in the USA.
    02-15-15 08:35 AM
    Price - as Android improves their phones while lowering their price they might overtake Apple in the USA.
    I don't think its going to happen with the difficult for Android fans to admit processor advantage of iPhones since the 5S.

Qualcomm is in a really messy situation right now with the Snapdragon 805/810. 810 has overheating issues and goes off the Krait custom architecture. Android/BB10/WP CPUs have hit a serious performance bottleneck that we have been stuck on for 1.5+ year. The existence of Snapdragon 801, an overclocked Snapdragon 800, scratched just the surface of the problem.

Samsung is the only OEM with a way out right now. It is moving to its own Exynos. The gap in performance between Apple and non-Apple devices should grow for a while and it will only be solved when Qualcomm gets its act together or everybody is off of Qualcomm.

At the same time the Lumia packs in a quad core 1.2 snapdragon 400, which may be arguably faster hardware than the Q10's dated 1.5 GHz dual core S4 Plus.
    The Windows Phone processor is slower and it is common knowledge. This is actually analogous to a Moto X (2013) or Moto G (2013) comparison. A Snapdragon 400 uses a different core architecture than S4.
    02-15-15 09:01 AM
    I'm sorry but that absolutely makes no sense. Why would Google or Apple do this? Those are things that keep people buying their products and they have no reason to make it open for all OS's to use and would be stupid to do so. Blackberry didn't open up BBM because they believed in a free market where all services should be available to all manufacturers. They did it out of desperation because BBM was dying and had no choice but to do it. Why doesn't Blackberry make all of their services open to the public. Make Blackberry travel cross platform or launch a hub app for all platforms to use. They would never do that because they want to keep their services internal to keep people buying their products. It makes absolutely no sense for Apple or Google to open up any of their services. It would be like Coke telling Pepsi "We will allow you to put our exact ingredients in your can and you can tell people that its Coke but in a Pepsi can." In what universe would something like this make sense?
    Quoted for truth!

I see posts here on CB, again and again, that have the same form. They all boil down to this:

{Rival company} should make their {insert crown jewel product here} available to BB because it would be good for BlackBerry.

Only recently I've seen "Microsoft should buy BB...", "Apple should release iMessage...", "Google should give access to Play Services..." - all ending in the "because it would be good for BlackBerry" words.

Short of corporate incompetence, why would *any* company, take *any* action, for the purpose of aiding a rival?!

Samsung *may* buy BB. If they do it'll be because a takeover is good for *Samsung*. I doubt the benefits a takeover might bring to BB will figure high in the thoughts of Samsung's board.
    02-15-15 09:18 AM
    I haven't moved to another platform but I make sure to play with any device that I can get my hands on, and we have Android devices in our home. When I test the other devices, I look for utility values based on my needs. I can probably handle an Android device as my daily driver if I had to, but thankfully BlackBerry came out with the Classic which I loving. I figured I can always get an Android tablet if I need more apps.

Posted via Classic
    02-15-15 01:09 PM
    Android will never be a threat to iPhone and I offer up the iPhone6+ as proof of that. Apple released a big phone and millions of Android users left their big Androids for big iPhones.

It is getting to the point that the only people that use Android and WP are those saving up to buy an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 02:14 PM
    I too left BlackBerry two weeks ago to try out Android since T-Mobile doesn't carry BlackBerry any more. I picked up a Note 4 and have been trying to like it. Only thing I like so far is the app selection for games and that is probably going to cause me to carry two devices. I will use the Note for fun and pictures while using my Z10 for everything else. My data usage has skyrocketed and messaging is horrendous. Give me the Hub and ease of OS 10 any day!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-15-15 03:33 PM

Posted by Q5
    You are soooo correct!!

Posted via the pure awesomeness of blackberry.
    02-15-15 05:06 PM
    I did almost the exact same thing as the OP. I left a BlackBerry Z30 for Windows phone. I was also using the Lumia 635 (which I bought because it was cheap). I used the Windows phone for a couple of months and just could not get myself to like it. I hate Windows 8 on any type of computer but felt that Windows 8 on a phone was not bad. I missed BlackBerry so much that now my daily driver is the Q10 and I have never been happier. I also just bought a Z10 as a back-up and I have decided never to stray from BlackBerry again.
    02-15-15 08:50 PM
    when Win 10 will be on phones...It will be very different...

to work a spread sheet is way more easier on Windows phone...if they had a stylus with that it would be heaven
    02-15-15 11:55 PM
    I have to point out a significant difference here: Google and Apple are not only hardware companies They sell software. I don't think they should open up their services for the good of Blackberry but for the good of THEIR own customers. I have a google account. I've bought one movie on their Play store and when I realized that I could not play it from my mobile device, I decided it would be the last I buy from Google. I don't have iTunes but I buy music. When I buy that music, sometimes I like to buy it directly from the device that I will use to listen to it.
    I don't care for these services enough to switch to another device, and similarly I don't think there is anyone who stays with an iPhone only because they use iTunes. Apple and Google are not gaining anything by restricting their digital storefronts to their own devices. They are only missing out on new customers and software sales, in my opinion.
    lift likes this.
    02-18-15 07:12 PM
33 12