Yeah, I know...it's going to be another one of those threads. I promise, you won't see another from me.

But...

Honestly, I've been an avid Blackberry enthusiast for awhile now. I have enjoyed and defended the product despite the allure of other devices. Of course, the "other device" is really the iPhone, but I've got an iPod Touch for apps. It's great, but I still can't stand typing on it. You can't beat the Blackberry for typing out e-mails. At this point though, that may be about the only thing it's got going for it.

I'm using a 8330m Curve. I can't remember if it's my fourth or fifth one in a year.

And this is where it all goes to **** for me.

I baby these damn phones. My latest one hasn't suffered a single drop and has been in a case since I received it 2-3 months ago. Again, the 4th or 5th replacement. But once again, the thing has become all but useless. I can barely type e-mails because they take so long to come up!

Now before the accusations start flying, I've got no shady third-party games or themes and barely any apps at all at this point as they tend to be far superior on the iPod Touch and the Curve's seriously lacking in memory. I keep my messages low and plenty of memory clear. I've reinstalled the OS and then only installed a few select apps.

Still, the thing requires a battery pull because either a) something has frozen or b) the thing is just moving at such an incredibly slow rate of speed just about every day. Reception fades in and out and it's absolutely unique to my particular phone as numerous other phones on the same service with the same plans in the same spot don't have the issues.

I've just gotta say, I'm really, really sick of always having to call Sprint and beg them for a device that works. Sprint's always been very good to me and I have no horror stories unique to them at all. After all, they're not the one's making the devices that continue to fail again and again yet they've patiently helped me get into new phones, as I said, four or five times now in the last year. And I mean NEW. After an issue with the first refurb we tried, they've gotten me NEW devices that I watched them unbox in stores. Sprint has been good to me. Blackberry's been the nightmare.

The quality control just seems to be unacceptable these days. The OS is ancient. Device memory even on the new models is pathetic and it seems like they have just as many or more issues as my 8330m.

I would love to continue to use a Blackberry if only to handle e-mail, but this very well may be it between RIM and I. This is not a new gripe by any means and they need to get in touch with the reality they're facing now in the marketplace or they're going to bury themselves alive. It couldn't be more obvious that producing countless new devices year after year is not solving any issues. I hope they make the right decisions and practically address these issues in the near future, but if I don't see evidence of a new direction soon, I will not be purchasing another Blackberry.

AT&T may take the "phone" out of the iPhone, but Blackberry takes the "smart" out of smartphone. Again, I truly hope Blackberry turns this ship around and start's getting some things right, but I have absolutely no interest in going down with a sinking ship. Above all, I just need a functional device. If it means moving to a touchscreen I don't like typing on, so be it. It's a better option than using an utterly dysfunctional device.
    11-18-09 11:20 PM
    if you feel the OS on the older Curve 8300 series phones is outdated, get one of the newer OS 4.6/4.7/5.0 devices. OS 4.2 and 4.5 are ancient and mated with a slow-mo phone/processor, you arent gonna be happy. you cant keep replacing your piece of junk with another piece of junk. and you also cant compare the iphone with the aging 8300 series.

get a Tour or something and move on. if i had that much bad luck with one model, i would try another. not keep bothering with replacing one lemon with another.
    11-18-09 11:30 PM
    There are so many options available to you, you're bound to find something that works.
    11-19-09 12:04 AM
    There are so many options available to you, you're bound to find something that works.
    Probably won't be a Blackberry though.
    11-19-09 12:25 AM
    The questions I have to ask are:

What OS is installed on your 8330m?
    How much free memory do you have immediately after a battery pull?
    How much free memory do you have before you pullthe battery?
    What apps do you have installed?
    What apps are running in the background?
    What apps are running in the background when you notice the lags?

It sounds like a couple of things are going on. You say you have enough free memory (bt don't list how much). You want to keep 10MB free, especially right after a battery pull. If the phone is dropping below 5MB, you'll start to notice lags.

Apps that are running in the background are going to slow down the system. The nice thing about BlackBerry is that is can multi-task (iPhones don't multi-task). You just have to remember to close applications when you are done with them. Hold down the Alt button and press the back key. As long as the Alt button is pressed down, the application switcher comes up and you should see Home, Messages, Browser, BBM, and Phone apps running. Anything else is an app that didn't get closed down. The more apps running in the background, the less memory you will have, and the probability of the phone lagging.

As long as you keep memory up above 5MB (better to have 10MB free) and close apps properly when done with them, you shouldn't notice any lags. If you've done everything to make sure these items are the problem, then you may want to try a Tour instead of another 8330m.
    11-19-09 06:38 AM
    Life is like a box of tissues, use something and through it away to get something new.

I suggest just that for you, buy a bold.
    11-19-09 06:55 AM
    Sounds like you have too many messages. I noticed this alot with my 8300/8310. After you do a backup in DM, if you go in and "delete prior" to not only the person or people you email most, but also the entire message list, it will *greatly* increase the time it takes to get into and out of the messages. Remember, that phone is a couple years old and it is slow. I found that was the best way to fix that problem. And if you need to keep some messages for reference just "save" them. It will ask you if you want to delete them, and just tell it not to.

It does sound like you need a new phone. The 8900 Curve is miles and miles improved and supports the OS 5 (which is now Beta, but hopefully soon to be an official release for that phone). That's what I went to and I get the same functionality and looks of my old Curve but with all the speed and updates of the newest phones.
    Last edited by breakmedown; 11-19-09 at 09:48 AM. Reason: clarity
    11-19-09 09:48 AM
    When I got my 8900 I gave my 8320 to my husband. He's not very technically inclined so I'm the one who takes care of our OS's & such. He's been having such a bad time with the lag going from one thing to another so I took a look and he had ZERO free memory. It seems that he never closes anything before moving on to another app! Whoops! After a battery pull I installed maxmem and reclaimed a lot of the memory. The problem is that there's so little memory to work with in the first place.
    When I had the 8320, I thought it was great but in comparison to my 8900 its like a slow cumbersome dinosaur! Clearly, the 8330 is not meeting your needs. Get something that does!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 10:50 AM
    you cant keep replacing your piece of junk with another piece of junk. and you also cant compare the iphone with the aging 8300 series.
    Ya think?

I keep trying to read CrackBerry on my 1972 Atari 2600 and it's just not working. I sure hope Atari turns this around. That dysfunctional Atari 2600 device is really starting to p*iss me off.
    11-19-09 12:25 PM
    I just got rid of my 8330 for the same reasons and got a Tour. The 8330 is a dinosaur compared with the Tour. Are you not close enough to your upgrade date to get something better?
    11-19-09 09:10 PM
    I have an 8310, which I believe has even less internal memory than the 8330 and I have none of those problems. I know I have little memory onboard so I just make sure you keep my phone cleaned up and don't have a lot of useless apps. Seems to work for me!

11-19-09 09:19 PM
    I have an 8310, which I believe has even less internal memory than the 8330 and I have none of those problems. I know I have little memory onboard so I just make sure you keep my phone cleaned up and don't have a lot of useless apps. Seems to work for me!

You're correct. The 8310 only had 64mb where as the 8330 has 96mb.

I also had little problems with it and had no problems with applications loading slow and switching from program to program. Only having hundreds and thousands of messages in my inbox ever gave me any problems.
    11-19-09 10:57 PM
    Sorry op, but I disagree wit you too. This thing is a tank. I've dropped it at least a dozen times (it has the scratches to prove it), I haven't used a case for 6 months (it lives in my lint producing pockets), and I don't have any of your issues.

Close apps, and keep the number of apps installed limited to only what you use. Always upgrade to the latest o/s, clear out your emails, delete cache memory once a week, battery pull once a week.

The only complaints I have with it are based on the fact it's a 2-3 year old design. Of course it's showing it's limitations when compared to other models.

11-19-09 11:43 PM
    I hardly ever laugh out loud to something I read, but this was just plain wrong, laughing my *** off
    11-19-09 11:50 PM
    Ya think?

I keep trying to read CrackBerry on my 1972 Atari 2600 and it's just not working. I sure hope Atari turns this around. That dysfunctional Atari 2600 device is really starting to p*iss me off.
    Very few things I read make me laugh out loud when I am alone, this did the trick
    11-19-09 11:52 PM
    Why does Sprint go out of it's way to alienate its customers?

They had initially told me that it would take at the most 30 minutes.

This is from one who spent the entire day trying to get his phone fixed. All of my time spent there was between being talked down to by a drunken sub-manager, then verbally abused and degraded. While they harassed they were enjoying making catcalls and openly talking about how they would play good-cop bad-cop then what the ladies voice was like and how they would direct her . It was an eye opening experience in what happens when they are left alone.

Thank you Sprint.

Keep up the great work.

Any other companies need a good customer?

Think about it Sprint my family and I have been with you since the beginning, so have my different corporations and all of our subsidiaries.

Oh Well
    Last edited by DrRaminDelavariTheGreat; 11-20-09 at 12:06 AM.
    11-19-09 11:54 PM
    Very few things I read make me laugh out loud when I am alone, this did the trick
    Hahaha me too xD

11-19-09 11:56 PM
    OP, your not a BlackBerry enthusiast at all, just a whiner.

11-19-09 11:58 PM
    Sorry op, but I disagree wit you too. This thing is a tank. I've dropped it at least a dozen times (it has the scratches to prove it), I haven't used a case for 6 months (it lives in my lint producing pockets), and I don't have any of your issues.

Close apps, and keep the number of apps installed limited to only what you use. Always upgrade to the latest o/s, clear out your emails, delete cache memory once a week, battery pull once a week.

The only complaints I have with it are based on the fact it's a 2-3 year old design. Of course it's showing it's limitations when compared to other models.

Very well said, fair & balanced
    11-19-09 11:58 PM

This is from one who spent the entire day trying to get his phone fixed between being talked down to by a drunken manager, then verbally abused and degraded.

Thank you Sprint.

Keep up the great work.

Think about it Sprint I have been with you since the beginning so has my corporation and all of our systems.

Oh Well
    *to speak to someone who's sober, press 1*

*to speak to someone who's PMS ing, press 2*

*to speak to someone indifferent because they're secretly quitting in a few days, press 3*

*to repeat these choices, smash your phone into your temple*

11-20-09 12:03 AM

This is from one who spent the entire day trying to get his phone fixed between being talked down to by a drunken manager, then verbally abused and degraded.

Thank you Sprint.

Keep up the great work.

Think about it Sprint I have been with you since the beginning so has my corporation and all of our systems.

Oh Well
    I have been with Sprint for about 5 years now & I am all over the country & I admit a few years ago I almost dropped them 2 times but since they have gone out of there way to please me...even when I call customer service I dont get someone from India, they let me know right away I am talking to someone in Charlotte,North Carolina, I wish more diehard meathed Verizon & ATT would realize this
    11-20-09 12:04 AM
    Ya think?

Good one, but ... it was probably '78 when you got that 2600.
    11-20-09 08:24 AM
    Ya think?

Dude, is there place on here where i can updated PONG!!!!
    11-20-09 08:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD