View Poll Results: What Blackberry?
- 61. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.
04-14-09 02:34 PM
- I'm a indie/student filmmaker who's always looking at e-mail, always texting, doing voice calls, and always checking sites.
I want a phone that I will be able to type well on and will able to easily get to the internet.
Right now I'm with verizon and I checked out the Storm, Bold, and Curve -- I like them all!!! And very tempted to get the 9630.
I need 3G and maybe Wifi, with great calling and easy texting.
Which one should I get?
D) 963004-11-09 05:34 AM
- I voted for the Bold as it supports simultaneous data and voice, has 3G and Wi-Fi. Typing is flawless on the QWERTY keyboard. That choice, however, requires you to change carriers. Make sure their service is acceptable in the areas you frequent before making any change.04-11-09 06:47 AM
- I have a curve from AT&T amd for the most part couldn't be happier. I have been waiting for my upgrade so I could get a Bold forever. Unfortunately where I live, reception sucks to say the least. I travel for work and for most part service is fine, but sometimes I don't have data service at home for hours upon hours. I am finally going to bite the bullet and try Verizon which gets good service where I live. I will be very interested to read further comments on Storm or Curve for Verizon or waiting? for something else. Thanks.04-11-09 08:53 AM
- I would say it depends on what your planning on doing..
I tend to think that the best phone for heavy text/email use is the bold. It also has 3G which the speed doesn't impress me the fact that you can use Voice and Data at the same time is a winner...
You could be on a voice call using bluetooth while recieving emails and checking the web at the same time..
Verizon with the storm/9630 will not allow you to do that, I have had many times where that would have come in handy.. Getting off a two hour call and being hit with dozens of emails and the like is annoying.
Also the ability to use WI-Fi is also a nice thing when you need Data Services overseas and the like..
whatever you choose you will love it... once you start using a BB.. everything changes..04-11-09 12:33 PM
- You sound like the perfect demographic for an iPhone 3G. I don't recommend a Blackberry for what you want. The iPhone is super easy to text on, you can do data and voice at the same time when on 3G, it also has IMO THE best browser of any phone available. If you think the keyboard will be an issue, its a nonissue because once you get used to the keyboard (there is a learning curve), you will be typing faster than any physical keyboard. Take a look in the iPhone 3G forum to hear from satisfied iPhone users. It also has 3G and WiFi. I love my iPhone. If you dont want ATT, unlock it and use it on T-Mobile, like I am, except the only issue with that is that you wont be able to use the 3G. Ask any questions you could have on the iPhone. I'd be more than happy to answer them.
BTW: I used to be a BB user.
Last edited by branden3112; 04-11-09 at 07:25 PM.04-11-09 07:22 PM
- it sounds like you're mostly looking to stay with verizon (based on the 3/4 of the phones that you listed). if that's the case, there are a few things to keep in mind:
-verizon blackberries don't have wifi. i don't know if it has something to do with the cdma technology, but as of right now, the current blackberries do not have wifi as a feature, and according to this thread , neither will the 9630. if this is a huge issue for you, you might want to think about switching networks. keep in mind that with verizon, you MUST have a data plan if you have a blackberry (it's a requirement, not a suggestion).
-verizon has also blocked gps on its blackberries, with the exception of the storm. that just means that third party apps like google maps, for example, will use cell tower triangulation to estimate where you are on a map, versus having a slightly more accurate idea of where you are. for example, according to google maps, my apartment is located on railroad tracks lol.
-if 3g and wifi is really important, you can think about switching to at&t and checking out the bold, which does have wifi.
from what you say you're looking for, a curve or bold sounds like a good match for you. it has a full qwerty keyboard, wide screen for web viewing, and a stable operating system. if you stick with verizon and go for their curve model (8330), you'll get more memory than pearls or other curve models in the 83xx series (ie 8310, which has the same memory as pearls). the bold has tons of memory on its own, so you'll be good to go.
however, if you can wait it out a few months (or well, who knows how long), then i would hold out for the 9630. it looks like a promising phone.
best thing for you to do is head to a store and tinker with the blackberries (or other phones) until you find one that you feel comfortable with.
i will say, web browsing and media playing is much better on iphones, but i must admit i've only tinkered with them and am not an avid user, but iphones do beat blackberrys out on those fields. be sure to check out other smart phones as well to make sure you're committing to the right phone. i am an avid texter, blackberry messenger, and third party chat application user, which all work fabulously on my blackberry. just keep in mind what is most important to you before making your final decision.
Last edited by redsoxrocker; 04-12-09 at 10:39 AM.04-11-09 08:13 PM
- DuviRetired Moderator
I am usually able to be on the phone (bluetooth), get gps directions, receive emails and still be able to receive/send sms/IMs.
I have and like all 3... bold, storm & 8900. 9630 isn't out yet and can't really comment.04-11-09 08:25 PM
- Hey Uber- I would say (c) or (a) I currently have the curve and really enjoy it and its reliability-i have also played with the storm in vzw and have considered an upgrade to it when I'm due-we'll see wat happens with that. Keep in mind you have to get what is going to work for YOU. So you can take everyones preferrences-weight them out-and choose what will work for you!! Good luck in your choice and welcome to CB!
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com04-11-09 08:32 PM
- I am kinda lost, been using 8330 since oct, tried storm for 10 days and went back to 8330. Npw lookin at iphone 3gn wondering what 4g is and also windows mobile units by HTC. Would like to hear sdvice onsystem and carriers. Currently on verizon. PM Me if necessary. Thanks all.04-13-09 09:53 PM
- If you are ready to deal with having to monitor your usage, then get the iphone. I've owned two of them and my girl has one right now. I consistantly get better reception than her. We live in a huge at and t town and coverage is not an issue. It really stnds out when we go into buildings. I did like my iphone. But, when I was in a class(tdy) and everyone had reception except me and one other person who owned an iphone. I knew it was time to get ri of it.
So I do not agree with the suggestion of the iphone.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com04-13-09 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD