So I was in my local verizon store today trying out the new trackpadded Curve. Gotta say: I don't like it! It's not nearly as smooth, accurate or pleasant to use as the trackball. My thumb doesn't glide over it smoothly, but jumps around just like if you run your thumb over any smooth surface like plastic or glass. There's too much friction between the skin and the smooth plastic. Take your BB screen and rub your thumb side to side over it and you'll see what I mean. Your thumb sticks, then jumps, then sticks, etc.

(Actually the rubberized part of the back of my Tour is the smoothest for me to rub my thumb over. Weird. RIM should ever so slightly rough up the plastic that the trackpad is made of.

If I were a physicist I'd guess that the difference between the static friction of thumb on pad and kinetic friction of thumb sliding over pad are way different. Hence the slide-stick-slide-stick.)

ALSO, I don't like the 4 top keys--Send, menu, back, End. They're really weird and don't press right IMHO.

I thought the new Essex/Tour II would be super awesome but if it has the same trackpad then **** no RIM's gotta redesign that puppy.
    12-23-09 07:17 PM
    imo, you're nuts

I go back to a trackball every so often and hate hate hate it after using the trackpad for a while.

But you're totally entitled to your opinion
    12-23-09 07:20 PM
    Furballz, I agree with you on the Send, End, Menu and Back buttons on the 8530. They're difficult to use at best.

But IMHO you're way off base on the trackpad. It kills the trackball. No comparison.
    12-23-09 07:28 PM
    I agree with the Op, I prefer my trackball.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 07:53 PM
    I know this sounds strange, but a little bit of grease on the pad makes it the smoothest experience ever. I am not saying rub grease on the trackpad, but after your natural skin oils get on there its awesome.

12-23-09 08:05 PM
    Trackball is better than trackpad

12-23-09 09:09 PM
    In my opinion, a trackpad is much much better than a trackball.

I have never had any of the issues described with it. Maybe you were putting too much pressure on the trackpad? Well always its always operators preference. Some people will like one or the other.

I guess I'm kinda used to it because of using a storm before and having that tactile control.
    12-23-09 09:19 PM
    The first time i used the trackpad on a GSM 85xx phone, i thought the same thing. but after a 1/2 day with the 9700...i can say put the crack pipe down... the TP > TB
    12-23-09 09:20 PM
    I love my trackpad on my 9700, but the curve trackpad isn't the same. It's a total pos compared to the 9700 one.

I don't know what they did differently but they are quite different. Curve gives a bad name to the trackpad. Try a 9700 and you'll fall in love. Perfectly responsive and not at all "sticky".
    12-23-09 10:43 PM
    If you dont like trackpads, you better buy up a few trackball phones now because RIM will never be releasing another bb with one. All trackpad and touch screen going forward.
    12-23-09 10:50 PM
    The last trackballed BB that I hadd before I switched to my 9550 was the curve. And I have to say that over time the trackball can get kind of dirty. It could go from white (new) to brown (dirty) in a matter of months if you use it like a typical crackberry user. A trackpad maybe a little chocky, my much more asthetically pleasing.
    12-23-09 10:58 PM
    I've only owned one BB, which is currently the new Bold with a trackpad and have not experienced what you have. But RIM makes BlackBerrys with different features, so each his/her own as to what he/she likes.
    12-23-09 10:59 PM
    So I was in my local verizon store today trying out the new trackpadded Curve. Gotta say: I don't like it! It's not nearly as smooth, accurate or pleasant to use as the trackball. My thumb doesn't glide over it smoothly, but jumps around just like if you run your thumb over any smooth surface like plastic or glass. There's too much friction between the skin and the smooth plastic. Take your BB screen and rub your thumb side to side over it and you'll see what I mean. Your thumb sticks, then jumps, then sticks, etc.

(Actually the rubberized part of the back of my Tour is the smoothest for me to rub my thumb over. Weird. RIM should ever so slightly rough up the plastic that the trackpad is made of.

If I were a physicist I'd guess that the difference between the static friction of thumb on pad and kinetic friction of thumb sliding over pad are way different. Hence the slide-stick-slide-stick.)

ALSO, I don't like the 4 top keys--Send, menu, back, End. They're really weird and don't press right IMHO.

I thought the new Essex/Tour II would be super awesome but if it has the same trackpad then **** no RIM's gotta redesign that puppy.
    I agree with the Send, menu, back, End part,but IMO the trackpad is better than the trackball; I just want to upgrade to the trackball from the trackball I've been using.
    12-23-09 11:09 PM
    I felt just like the OP before I got my 9700 - almost didn't get one but the other benefits made me go ahead anyways. I have to say, after one full day with it..... it is so much better than the trackball. I sometimes use my son or wife's 8900 and find that I now get annoyed when I use a trackball compared to the smooth, predictable motion of the trackpad. And, btw, friction is not an issue (the protective plastic may still have been on the unit the OP was looking at - I actually didn't discover it myself until after I had used the phone for awhile.
    12-23-09 11:12 PM
    I love the Track Pad but it's a PITA finding one that works. I'm on my 5th 9700 and so far so good!

12-24-09 10:02 AM
    Didn't this debate happen when the Thumb roller was switched to the track ball?

people resist change.

you have to get used to the trackpad, I need a trackpad on a bigger phone, then I'll get a trackpad, but I would much prefer the trackpad over the trackball
    12-24-09 10:13 AM
    I love the Track Pad but it's a PITA finding one that works. I'm on my 5th 9700 and so far so good!
    LOL not another person who's gone through a half dozen of the same phone.

And to those who THINK they'll like the trackpad... wait until you've tried it, eh?
    12-24-09 11:06 AM
    Gotta say: I don't like it! It's not nearly as smooth, accurate or pleasant to use as the trackball.
    I had the exact same experience and the exact same initial impression. It wasn't going to deter me from switching to the 9700 but I understand what you are saying.

I could make the trackball on my 8900 sing and dance ... when it was working properly.

Unfortunately, trackballs tend to be tempermental.

I must say after using the trackpad for a couple of weeks, I've entirely forgotten about the trackball and I've become accustomed to using the trackpad. It is largely about becoming accustomed to the new device.

Candidly, today, I think given the choice of using the trackball or the trackpad ... I'd always pick the trackpad. Trackballs are just too tempermental.
    12-24-09 12:06 PM
    When I tried out the 9700 demo, I fell in love with the Trackpad.. I just wish the 9700 would not be a mini Bold in my opinion but I will wait untill the next bb that is the size of the 9000 Bold with a Trackpad and hopefully it will have 2x the memory of the 8900 and 9700 phones! I am so over the track ball though!

Cheers,
    Charlie
    12-24-09 12:08 PM
    I could make the trackball on my 8900 sing and dance ... when it was working properly.
    See, my Tour has the most awesome trackball. With one smooth motion I can whip the cursor down a menu to the exact spot I need, or from one icon to another with total precision. I can use my thumb to smack and spin the trackball and hit a far away menu item with ease.

I haven't had the problems others have with my trackball. A friend of mine has an old Curve with a crappy trackball, and if that's what you're used to I can understand wanting to change. But mine is perfect and super fast, easy and pleasant to whip around (knock on wood).
    12-24-09 01:34 PM
    Now I know that you can buy a replacement trackball for your phone to replace it if it breaks, but does anyone know if you can replace the trackball on your phone with a trackpad? or do you have to buy a new BB with the trackpad already installed?
    12-24-09 07:23 PM
    the trackball and trackpad are totally non-interchangeable.
    12-24-09 07:25 PM
    Like others have stated, after spending one day with a trackpad, I have forgotten all about the trackball. Night and day difference.

Ive only had my 9700 for less than a week...yesterday I had to fire up my old curve to get some info from it...I couldnt believe how slow and sticky the trackball was in comparison to the trackpad. Funny how you might think something is fine, until you get something better.

TRACKPAD FOR THE WIN!!!!
    12-25-09 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD