Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By jesse_h
  • 3 Post By Masahiro
  • 2 Post By spencerdl
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,688 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default I do not want Blackberry to be bought out ..

I think that if Blackberry gets bought out by a chinese company, the DNA that makes the Blackberry unique will be lost.

I always thought that Apple should have purchased Blackberry as a hedge and for diversity. The only advantage I can see would be an infusion of cash and the knowledge that Blackberry will be around for the term of your contract. I still have a IBM thinkpad ( use once a year for my windows tax program) and my thoughts are that the thinkpad brand and device did not prosper under Lenovo.

If RIM gets bought out ( with some exceptions ) I would feel no brand loyalty at all.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    887 Global Posts

Why do you think a Chinese company will buy RIM? Have lots of companies looked at RIM? Yes they have. Has Lenovo looked at them? Yes they have and it was confirmed today by the Lenovo CFO. Is RIM for sale? Yes it is. My guess is that the current owners would want a super ridiculous premium to sell now and I do not blame them. In reality a strategic alliance or licensing of the OS is a much more believable outcome.
    / device agnosticism or bust!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,598 Global Posts

Let's just take a seat and relax. News like this pops up all the time, and there's nothing we can do about it. This doesn't mean it will happen, it also doesn't mean that it won't. There's a huge process involved with buying a company, it could takes years, and that's assuming it actually goes somewhere.

For now, just relax, and look forward to January 30th.
    S5
    Z10
    64gb PlayBook
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,598 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glamrlama View Post
    Why do you think a Chinese company will buy RIM? Have lots of companies looked at RIM? Yes they have. Has Lenovo looked at them? Yes they have and it was confirmed today by the Lenovo CFO. Is RIM for sale? Yes it is. My guess is that the current owners would want a super ridiculous premium to sell now and I do not blame them. In reality a strategic alliance or licensing of the OS is a much more believable outcome.
    The "current owners" are the shareholders, as it's a pubically traded company.
    S5
    Z10
    64gb PlayBook
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

Agreed and any buying price only goes up now that RIM's valuation starts to climb again. Optimal buying time for a takeover was when RIMM was ~$6 (and secretly I believe there are financial backers that would have made this very difficult still), now the stock is looking to triple and won't go back to single digits again unless BlackBerry 10 flops or confidence shatters from the inside.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

As a stock holder, if it makes my value increase, I don't care if Apple buys them.
    Curve Storm 2 BB BOLD 9930 & Z10
    Playbook 16GB
    CrackBerry Master

All publicly quoted companies are for sale. Every single one of them - that's why you can buy shares on the open market. Which means that all publicly quoted companies have speculation about people buying them. It's the way it is. If you don't want a company to be bought, take it private. A big enough offer to anyone and they'd say yes. That's how it works.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts

Too late. I'm buying RIM right now as we speak.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    spencerdl, r0v3rT3N and nquyen like this.
    CrackBerry User

The chances of the Canadian govt allowing a Chinese firm to buy RIM are pretty slim I'm thinking.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,388 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glamrlama View Post
    . Is RIM for sale? Yes it is.
    I don't think formally. Still looking at "strategic options" vs. formally seeking a buyer
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,332 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yvrbs View Post
    The chances of the Canadian govt allowing a Chinese firm to buy RIM are pretty slim I'm thinking.
    As is above, buying a company is an arduous task and I would have to believe that before Lenovo, or any other company would start down that road they would have an understanding of whether it would be allowed in the end, otherwise what a waste of time and more importantly - a lot of money.

That said AT&T tried to buy Tmob here in the States last year and that didn't go well - much to AT&T's chagrin, so I guess it could happen, but I think they (AT&T) were really shocked when they were told no. I surely cost them a whole lotta money
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    15,412 Global Posts

I think CrackBerry and all the members should put their money together and BUY RIM ........there would be a lot of people at the board meeting
    r0v3rT3N and nquyen like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Likely the scenario is Lenovo partnering RIM or in licensing BB to sell in China. If that is the case ,then good for RIM if they can swing this ..opening up the huge Chinese market.
    However just wondering if the Chinese govt will allow a secure network like RIM to operate freely there given their history of containing "free" speech
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts

Nobody is buying RIM. It's a Canadian treasure and the government will never allow it to be sold. Good luck to anyone trying to buy it. Now a partnership with another company does make sense.
    BB10 Powered by QNX RTOS.
    CrackBerry Addict

I want whats best for RIM and us as there true clients. I have been thru many a bank merger and key people get lost in the transition. I feel that RIM has a solid group of head managers and I hope they stick around to see what they have started with BB10.
    Sent using my PlayBook or my 9930.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    887 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jesseh View Post
    The "current owners" are the shareholders, as it's a pubically traded company.
    You are correct. This is how publicly traded companies work. Anyone is free to buy publicly traded shares. If the insiders don't want to go along a takeover would become hostile. Insiders usually want a premium to go along with any acquisition. My guess is RIMM insiders would want an enormous premium. I know I would!
    / device agnosticism or bust!
    CrackBerry Addict

I think we can safely assume the Canadian government would never allow the sale of RIM to a Chinese company. RIM's phones are in the hands of millions of government workers in Canada and the US, and their QNX OS runs nuclear reactors and critical defense systems all across North America and the World. Considering trust between the two nations is about 0%, the chance of that deal going through is 0% as well.