Why are you starting threads that you know are going to be a source of contention with other members? Stop being wilfully combative and let a dead horse lie.

The Tour price is not paying top dollar for a phone. If you want to pay top dollar for a phone, get a Bold and switch carriers.

Groaning and Moaning about the lack of a feature isn't going to make that feature suddenly appear. You're rubbing a sore spot, so you should probably stop.

this may have been discussed to death, but here is my 2cents

imo, i think the tour should come with wifi esp if you are paying almost 200 for the device itself. yah yah, verizon and sprint has better 3G coverage than att and tmo, but i feel like that its a rip off to pay so much and to lack such a feature, no matter how useless it may be to some ppl. i mean, you guys paid top dollar for this device and it lacks, imo, such a basic feature. id rather wait for the onyx to drop, but thats just me.

how do you guys feel? still dont care that there is no wifi even though you guys paid top dollar?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 08:24 AM
    OP is on T-mobile. They need Wifi cause they have no 3G coverage, and some of the poorest 2G coverage in the US. If you want to have to go from Starbucks to Starbucks to make and receive calls, then I guess your set. I don't see a huge need for WiFi on a phone, cause I know that the speeds I get with Sprint are about as fast as a download via WiFi cause it is processor limited at that point.
    08-26-09 08:25 AM
    Airplanes... overseas airport lounges, VoiP.

The reason that Verizon has dropped the price on the Tour so dramatically (now 2 for $149 with rebate and plan) is to deplete stock before the next round of wifi smartphones are announced: Storm 2, HTC TouchPro2, Motorola Sholes.

Let's be real... the Tour went from $199 with plan/rebate to the current 2/$149. Sounds like they are trying to dump inventory to me.
    Personally I think that the reason the price of the Tour dropped is so they can move more Tours, not so that they can dump inventory. As we are all well aware, Blackberries generate more revenue for service providers than most other devices and it only makes sense that they want to move us to the more profitable areas of their business. I think most service providers would give phones away if they could make the difference up on the back end. Who cares what you pay for your cell phone out the door, people need to worry about the actual cost over the life of the contract. With Verizon offering the bogo deal, many people will get their wife/husband/significant other/child a Blackberry instead of a feature phone/dumb phone because it seems like it's going to be FREE, not realizing that it will cost them at least $720 more over the next to years....now that's what I call good business!!!

As far as the original poster and his/her comment about the Tour not having wifi....obviously it wasn't enough to stop us from getting the devices so we must not be too concerned about it. I have an iPod Touch which I use for wifi but honestly the Blackberry browser is so poor that it's not worth it to use it for surfing whether you have a slow or fast connection. I will say however that when it comes to using the browser to access information quickly, the Blackberry is hard to be beat......
    Last edited by JR_Rider; 08-26-09 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Mistake...
    08-26-09 08:25 AM
    Airplanes... overseas airport lounges, VoiP.

The reason that Verizon has dropped the price on the Tour so dramatically (now 2 for $149 with rebate and plan) is to deplete stock before the next round of wifi smartphones are announced: Storm 2, HTC TouchPro2, Motorola Sholes.

Let's be real... the Tour went from $199 with plan/rebate to the current 2/$149. Sounds like they are trying to dump inventory to me.

doesn't verizon always does the BOGO promotion? didn't the same promotion happen when the Storm went out after a few months?

just a thought...
    08-26-09 08:26 AM
    i found the wifi on my old HTC phone to be more of a pain than a perk. i didn't have a data plan back then, so i figured "cool, i'll just dial-up when i need internet on the go and use wifi at home and at work." problem was, actually getting onto wifi and staying connected was such a hassle. once i got a BB w/ data plan i couldn't figure out how i lived without it. i guess if i wanted to hack free calls via skype or need to get slightly faster internet access, then wifi would be cool.
    08-26-09 08:31 AM
    Had wifi on my last phone and never used it. So wifi is not important to me.

08-26-09 08:42 AM
    I personally have no use for WiFi, I need email when I am on the road, in fact I probably tether my phone to my laptop more than my laptop is connected to WiFi simply because I travel more than 200 days a year.
    08-26-09 08:52 AM
    I have WiFi on my 9000, and have used it ONCE. And that was just to see if I could connect to my home network.

08-26-09 08:55 AM
    it was $150.00 i think i will live
    08-26-09 08:57 AM
    I have no need for wi-fi. I'll just use my laptop(netbook) if its that important. Love my TOUR!
    08-26-09 09:08 AM
    Before my Tour I had a Curve w/ Wifi on TMO..honestly I used it maybe a half dozen times in the year i had it.. So to quote an old saying "to each his/her own" I love my tour the way it is...

I shall miss that kitten...
    08-26-09 09:18 AM
    If getting the Tour for free is considered 'paying top dollar for a phone with no wifi'.... consider me a sucker!!

08-26-09 09:26 AM
    Only place I would use wi-fi would be at home. I'm not going to stop somewhere to use a wi-fi spot when opera mini is blazing fast already. it wouldn't hurt it have it, then again it doesn't hurt me not too

08-26-09 12:40 PM
    Yeah the tour is fast enough itself. I love this phone and where I live there aren't very many wifi places to go. I'm sure in a bigger metropolitan area there are but really who needs it with the tour. And if you don't want to pay the prices of a phone that doesn't have wifi then just don't buy it.

Last edited by jimmysvt; 08-26-09 at 12:50 PM.
    08-26-09 12:47 PM
    I love how the OP says that he knows the issues has been discussed until no one freaking cares...but here's another thread.....lol...
    08-26-09 12:58 PM
    Dido, every early adopter will pay the price to have the "new" toy out there.
    how is this "early adopter" to buy an updated version of a very much "old" form factor
    08-26-09 01:03 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD