2nd phone I bought at launch,Z10 because I wanted a smart phone and hate all the other mfg's for whatever reason,yes it was my 1st smarty,haha ,I waited forever it seemed but I knew what I wanted ,I don't think I was going to wait months for the price to come down,to save what 2 bucks a day?was on my way to the poorbank when I saw the Passport I just fell in love with it, and no Big deal I got it .
    wincyUt and bungaboy like this.
    11-16-14 02:51 PM
    Quite simple... just to be one of the first....
    11-16-14 03:00 PM
    The Passport is actually cheaper at launch, since it is $100 off retail.

Posted from my Z30 using CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-16-14 03:05 PM
    You don't have to understand. You do what is comfortable for you. But I have done it both ways, and even with the risk I am happier buying the new device when it is new on the market. I have bought my last three BlackBerrys at launch as well as the PlayBook at launch and no problems.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-16-14 03:09 PM
    I generally don't buy phones at launch, but I have on two occasions. I had the money and wanted the new phone. The last phone I bought at launch was a BlackBerry Tour; 9630 I think was the model I believe. I wasn't due for an upgrade and ended paying around $400. I enjoyed the phone but that was after 3 replacements and a few OS upgrades!

Now I like to wait a few months to a year and save myself the money and aggravation. The other was when I switched from ATT to VZW and got the LG enV at full price and at launch because I didn't want a contract. Kept that beauty for 3 years!

I'm still deciding when to buy the Classic.
    11-16-14 03:58 PM
    For mainly two reasons, price and hardware revisions.

1) Phones tend to depreciate in value very quickly. A flagship phone can be priced the same as a mid range phone in six months. So why pay double the price when you know the price will go down?

2) However, the biggest reason is that whether it is BlackBerry or Apple, phones at the launch often have manufacturing issues that need to be addressed by the manufacturer such as Apple revising its Iphone 6 to be less bending, or how the BlackBerry came up with a revised Q10 keyboard later on in its production.

If you bought a device at launch, I don't want you to feel bad about it, but I just want to hear your reasoning for paying extra for a phone that might not be the best hardware-wise since manufacturers revise the hardware to be better throughout the manufacturing life.

Posted via CB10
    I cannot understand why people care what other people do when it comes to smartphone purchases and how they choose to spend their money.
    11-16-14 04:47 PM
    I cannot understand why people care what other people do when it comes to smartphone purchases and how they choose to spend their money.
    Well, maybe you do, but are too polite to say. LoL
    Carjackd likes this.
    11-16-14 05:07 PM
    The amount of usage my device goes through in a day, I think justifys the cost. I'm on a 6 hour train ride right now and so glad to have my passport. The peace of mind with the battery and the ability to do a lot of the work which I would usually do on my macbook makes it worth it. I haven't experienced any buyer remorse with the passport.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-16-14 05:14 PM
    Just thank them, you don't need to understand them. They're the ones that are paying for advancements we all enjoy. Plus they pave the way for lower prices for the rest of us.
    11-16-14 06:41 PM

I just want to hear your reasoning for paying extra for a phone that might not be the best hardware-wise

Posted via CB10
    Because I'm rich btch!!

Posted via BBM Premium
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-16-14 06:43 PM
    Why the heck not?! If the phone is available for your carrier and you want it then get it. Why wait in 6 months? Nothing is going to be perfect. Even in 6 months, something might go wrong. You might even get a defect phone that you patiently waited 6 months to avoid.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 06:54 PM
    It's called Fun!

Try it sometime....

BlackBerry hates America!
    jojo beaconsfield and Chrisy like this.
    11-16-14 07:26 PM

1) Phones tend to depreciate in value very quickly. A flagship phone can be priced the same as a mid range phone in six months. So why pay double the price when you know the price will go down?

2) However, the biggest reason is that whether it is BlackBerry or Apple, phones at the launch often have manufacturing issues that need to be addressed by the manufacturer such as Apple revising its Iphone 6 to be less bending, or how the BlackBerry came up with a revised Q10 keyboard later on in its production.

If you bought a device at launch, I don't want you to feel bad about it, but I just want to hear your reasoning for paying extra for a phone that might not be the best hardware-wise since manufacturers revise the hardware to be better throughout the manufacturing life.

Posted via CB10
    People buy phones at launch simply because they get the pleasure of owning the just launched phone. It has a emotional value that is worth more than the cash depreciation it suffers after it.

It's like giving a birthday present to a friend, doesn't make sense because you're wasting money in something that you don't benefict with, you do it because the reward value is worth the money spent
    11-16-14 07:55 PM
    I purchased my Z10 several days after the global launch from a Canadian who happened to be down in Los Angeles for business. I was almost shaking when he put the phone in my hand. I knew it would be expensive. I spent almost $1000 that night at a Starbucks in Koreatown.

You've got to remember the hype though behind BlackBerry 10's arrival. CrackBerry was buzzing for six months leading up to the January 30th release date (yes, most of us still remember that date). I even downloaded the BlackBerry 10 song and had it on repeat.

My wife didn't get it. Friends gave me strange looks about my choice. Hell, I can't say that the original OS was flawless or anywhere near what we were promised.

But it was VERY worth it. And you want to know WHY?

Because I wanted to.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 314961
    Monsterlad, Uzi, Jrox74 and 1 others like this.
    11-16-14 08:54 PM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I can't understand people who buy new cars as soon as they come out...... lOL

Ummm. Because we can... and want too...

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 08:59 PM
    The reason Apple quietly fixed, there bendy phones is because they didn't want people to return the bendy phone for an updated one LOL. Saved them a lot of money, and they told people that bent their phone that they were holding it wrong. And they probably believed it too!
    11-16-14 09:09 PM

2) However, the biggest reason is [...] at the launch often have manufacturing issues that need to be addressed by the manufacturer such as Apple revising its Iphone 6 to be less bending, or how the BlackBerry came up with a revised Q10 keyboard later on in its production.
    Posted via CB10
    1. I don't buy phones because it's cheap(er), but because it can do what I ask of it. Sometimes, you just can't wait for the price to go down when your current device becomes obsolete for whatever reason (damaged, unsupported, can't last the day, unable to do what you need, etc). That said, I don't upgrade just because it's the latest and greatest, but will get the latest and greatest when I do upgrade.
    2. If you're waiting for perfected OS and hardware, might as well wait for the EOL of the device... that way you'll know the device is as good as it's going to get. Might be a tad bit obsolete by then, unable to do some of the things you'll want/need that is available in current models.

Anyway, that's my two pennies.
    11-16-14 09:09 PM
    When it comes to BlackBerry phones in the USA they usually are not available at launch because the carriers don't release them for weeks or months. Some people have waited a long time to upgrade and they see a new phone come out and they decide it is the right time to upgrade. I was not planning on purchasing the Passport prior to the release but watching the launch live on the internet changed my mind. I liked the features and decided to purchase it instead of waiting for AT&T to announce when they would be carrying it. I was on the Z10 and liked it but the battery life was a killer. I was carrying extra batteries to make it thru the day.
    11-16-14 09:56 PM
    I agree with the OP.

I think what I like best about my Z10 and Q5 is how little I paid for them well after their initial release in relation to how well they work. That feeling hasn't yet diminished and probably wont. (ya I know, not many may share this perspective). And when Larry Loudmouth Shane Sheep were showing off their new $700 iPhone 5whatevers and/or Android GS5LG3ONE, I love reminding them how well my $220 48GB Z10 is running.
    11-16-14 09:58 PM
    No big deal buying a $600 phone at launch. Lining up 4 weeks early & taking time off work to buy a phone at launch, now that's a topic of discussion
    11-16-14 09:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not necessarily true. Look at Verizon BlackBerry prices off contract. Heck, the Bold 9930 is $399, the Z10 is $299, Q10 is $399, and Z30 is $499. So if the Classic is $449 is that too much? I guess it's simply an individual decision. I like technology. I by them all at launch.
    11-16-14 10:11 PM
    I've bought more than a few(out of 12 BlackBerries) at launch as well. LOL. What I don't understand is why would anyone be concerned with who or why people buy phones at launch? At the end of the day, their money......their smartphone.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 11-17-14 at 05:50 AM.
    buwee, Jrox74 and BigBadWulf like this.
    11-16-14 11:04 PM
    To answer your question... this goes down to our faulty capitalist society which feeds on consumerism... most of these people that go out to buy that phone don't actually have the money to pay for it..

Just ma 2 cents..

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 11:32 PM
    To answer your question... this goes down to our faulty capitalist society which feeds on consumerism... most of these people that go out to buy that phone don't actually have the money to pay for it..
    Capitalism isn't the enemy. Not even big business. It's HOW business is done that makes it helpful or harmful.

But make no mistake without learning and employing the art of business as part of our movements, we are like fishermen who only wish for fish and farmers who only hope for crops.

Posted via BBM Premium
    11-17-14 12:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    Because I like to have the latest and greatest as soon it is available and I don't care about paying full price for the phone.
    11-17-14 02:27 AM
95 1234