I'm an i d i o t.

I tried taking the faceplate off of my sprint curve 8330 to get some of the dust out from underneath the faceplate. When putting the faceplate back on, I was tightening the two top torx screws behind the battery cover, and I was tightening them slowly, when suddenly I hear a loud *SNAP*. I had managed to snap the torx screw right in half! Now, half of the torx screw is stuck in the faceplate, and I can't get it out. The top of my berry now has a huge gap in it.

Any suggestions, short of buying a new faceplate?? I have insurance through sprint - would they cover this act of stupidity?

gah, i'm such an i d i o t.
    10-06-08 06:31 PM
    Lowes and Home Depot both sell screw extractors, which are
    handy for these types of situations.

5 PC Screw Extractor Set

10 PC Screw Extractor & Drill Set

I don't know if your insurance will cover this but I doubt it highly.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 10-06-08 at 06:42 PM.
    10-06-08 06:39 PM
    hmm - that screw extractor set looks promising, but they look way too huge to be useful on my berry

but I'll swing by tmrw and see what else they might have. thanks for the suggestion!
    10-06-08 06:44 PM
    Most of them will be but there should be one in the 10 piece set
    that ought to work. Good Luck, I hope you get it worked out.
    10-06-08 06:47 PM
    ouch!! hope you get it out!!
    10-06-08 07:45 PM
    Just got back from lowes and home depot - the screw extractors are definitely too large for the screws in my berry.

really have no clue what to do now...
    10-06-08 07:46 PM
    Maybe you can try to super glue the exposed screw to a small metal rod or miniature screwdriver. It may work if the screw is fairly easy to turn.
    10-06-08 07:53 PM
    a jeweler can remove it
    10-06-08 08:08 PM
    I think superglue and a mini screw driver would be your best DIY way to go. Just remember those torx require very little torque. I believe only 1-2 oz on ones as small as a phone one. yeah I know "No duh!" but but an ounce of prevention... As for how much 1-2 oz of torque is imagine just about finger tight.

E
    10-06-08 08:50 PM
    Is superglue strong enough? Jb weld! Haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-08 01:27 AM
    10-07-08 03:23 AM
    first I would cut/grind/file the end of the mini screwdriver then clean it with rubbing alchohol and try to do the same with the broken screw then put just a dot of super glue on the screwdriver and let it set for a minimum of 30 mins (while on the broken screw of course) then using light pressure attempt to screw out the broken screw.

E
    10-07-08 03:27 AM
    Wow...keep us posted on how you get it out.
    10-07-08 09:32 AM
    Heh these are all some fantastic suggestions! The superglue is a great idea, but I'm too afraid of screwing up the berry even more if I try that. I've taken the easy way out and called insurance. They're sending me a replacement berry now.

The lesson from all this is to not take something apart when you don't have to! and if you're going to take the berry apart, go easy on those top two screws!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-08 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD