Exactly the purpose of the RIO is to get new BB10 user base again if the price point is perfect!!!

People just need to be patient like John C said that at MWC 2015 we will see the roadmap for devices LOL like jeez man lol
    Newsflash buddy : RIO isn't about to draw any new user base for BlackBerry. It's ancient technology and no, not even enterprises will support it. They're better off sticking with byod programs.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 08:42 AM
    So I was reading the comments on the Blackberry Rio article and the specs.

I am getting very sick and tired of the consistent complaints.

First of all.....The full roadmap for 2015 will be revealed at MWC 2015 in barcelona until then no complaints and no more "Where is my high end touch??? Where is my blah blah blah??? Blackberry what are you doing?? Blah Blah Blah

When the roadmap is revealed then you guys can complain all you want IF there is no phone that suits your needs we don't know what's coming out yet.

If you look at the Rio specs you can clearly tell its more of a Z10 upgrade. Use you common sense people we know this is not a Z30 upgrade and was never meant to be.

I hear people saying well just buy a Z30.....People John Chen is trying to clear inventory of the old devices to bring in the new devices for 2015 and the Z30 is still $499 which is not cheap and is being discontinued soon when inventory clears and it was made in 2013 November.

The Rio according to specs and that it will be made by Foxconn I am thinking it will be in the $300 to $399 max range is perfect especially for people who want a touch screen but don't want to break the bank

This phone is perfect for 2 main reasons IF the price point is good:

1. Enterprises who want to buy it in bulk but don't want to spend 700 bucks a pop for a high end touch but their employees want a touch screen if they don't like the keyboard this is very important that they have this as they need the classic and mid range touch to satisfy the employees and their needs who get BES 12 and want our phones.

2. This is the biggest reason especially in north america. On contract if this phone is $50 bucks on contract or even free we have ourselves a winner. We need to increase the BB10 user base a lot especially in north america that should be BB main main goal. Our market share is way way way way to low compared to apple and especially android and do you know why android has such great market share because they have a lot of low and mid range devices in the world especially in emerging markets so they are all over the place.

When the Z30 came it came a awful time at blackberry. The up for sale sign was up...stock was down....4.4 billion cash burn (approx) it truly sucks because the Z30 was a great phone I know because I own one and till day people are always impressed by it and the speakers especially.

The point is wait until march at MWC 2015 to see what blackberry has up their sleeves and John Chen said he is extremely excited so I am sure he will not disappoint us since he hasn't so far.

Also one last thing people will say well you can get android device for 200 to 300 with better specs blah blah blah.....unless you have a nexus or moto g you are almost guaranteed not to get updates to the latest version of android since we all know that android has serious fragmentation issues big time especially the chinese made smartphones. Some of these phones don't even have Kit Kat yet....still on JellyBean. At least we know whatever BB device we get we will get out updates no matter what. How many android devices you know you bought in early 2013 will get lollipop?? Unless you own a high end phone or google phone (Nexus or Moto X or G) you won't. All BB 10 devices will get 10.3.1 and to me is amazing.

I CARE ABOUT 2 THINGS WITH BLACKBERRY RIGHT NOW!!! GROWTH (SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE) AND REVENUE!!!. THAT SHOULD BE THEIR FOCUS RIGHT NOW...JOHN CHEN HAS ONLY BEEN IN POWER FOR A YEAR AND HAS DONE MUCH MORE THAN ANY PREVIOUS HAS DONE IN YEARS....IN 2013 WE WENT FROM DECLINING STOCK....4.4 BILLION CASH BURN....UNSOLD Z10 INVENTORY....BASHING LEFT RIGHT AND CENTRE ON EVERY ARTICLE....TO ONE OF THE BEST PERFORMING TECH STOCK (2014)....NO MORE CASH BURN....MANAGE INVENTORY...RENEWED FOCUS....MORE POSITIVE NEWS WITH BLACKBERRY IN ARTICLES.....THINGS DONT HAPPEN OVERNIGHT!!!
    How long have you been using BlackBerry devices? We're you here for BBOS 4.X through 6 and eventually 7 where under powered hardware limited what they could do with the OS and led to new hardware being needed every year to run a new OS? This is the reason the name BlackBerry has such a garbage reputation throughout most of the world. Slow laggy offerings, battery pulls, and spinning clocks, all of which were the norm on BBOS. Using and having to support three year old hardware in the IS will limit what the software engineers can do. Want a cool new feature? Sorry but the processor or GPU of the MSM9860 can't handle that. So we won't do it because then we'll fracture the OS experience across the line.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it!

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 09:41 AM
    How long have you been using BlackBerry devices? We're you here for BBOS 4.X through 6 and eventually 7 where under powered hardware limited what they could do with the OS and led to new hardware being needed every year to run a new OS? This is the reason the name BlackBerry has such a garbage reputation throughout most of the world. Slow laggy offerings, battery pulls, and spinning clocks, all of which were the norm on BBOS. Using and having to support three year old hardware in the IS will limit what the software engineers can do. Want a cool new feature? Sorry but the processor or GPU of the MSM9860 can't handle that. So we won't do it because then we'll fracture the OS experience across the line.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it!

Posted via CB10
    LOL You kill me my friend.....I think you under estimate the power of the adreno 225....First of all BBOS was a java based OS which no matter what hardware you put there....the battery pulls...and so on would still happen. The problem was that BBOS legacy software could not keep up with the demands of games and apps because of the software lets be real no amount of cpu power and gpu power would fix that problem.
    12-24-14 10:03 AM
    Where were all you all touch screamers when the Z10 and 30 were originally released? People on here scream for it but no one bought them... And now your wondering why they didn't release a "top end" all touch? And yes I bought both.
    I wanted an all touch flagship as well, but once I seen the poor sales numbers I knew it would be a long time if ever we see a good comparable touch screen device. I moved on, I'm happy now but wish BBRY would have kept on catering to the consumer as well.

Sent using my Note 4
    12-24-14 10:43 AM
    LOL You kill me my friend.....I think you under estimate the power of the adreno 225....First of all BBOS was a java based OS which no matter what hardware you put there....the battery pulls...and so on would still happen. The problem was that BBOS legacy software could not keep up with the demands of games and apps because of the software lets be real no amount of cpu power and gpu power would fix that problem.
    I've used a z10 and Z30 so I'm not under estimating anything. Z10 is under powered. Z30 is much smoother. Supporting ancient hardware will only ****** the OS development and addition of new features. They will spend more time and money optimizing the OS then they save by using old hardware. Also as manufacturers of processors go to newer hardware and tooling factories for newer manufacturing processes, the older hardware actually starts getting more expensive to produce because everyone else is buying the newer hardware.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 11:42 AM
    I've used a z10 and Z30 so I'm not under estimating anything. Z10 is under powered. Z30 is much smoother. Supporting ancient hardware will only ****** the OS development and addition of new features. They will spend more time and money optimizing the OS then they save by using old hardware. Also as manufacturers of processors go to newer hardware and tooling factories for newer manufacturing processes, the older hardware actually starts getting more expensive to produce because everyone else is buying the newer hardware.

Posted via CB10
    All I know is that finally at MWC 2015 BB will reveal some phones with power house specs and people can stop complaining LOL. That is why I personally cannot wait for that month to come. I am not saying BB shouldn't use 800 series snapdragon on their phones and I welcome it 100 percent as it will advance the os in many ways possible. My argument is that people are saying that the adreno 225 GPU can't handle certain games and apps from android and bb a like and I am saying it can.....for Christ sake I remember owning the Z10 on 10.2.1 and playing Dead Trigger 2 flawlessly.......
    12-24-14 11:51 AM
    The passport is directed towards the enterprise consumer for sure. Having said that with these specs and the ability to use android it surely has appeal to the unintended audience. If blackberry continues in 2015 to offer a couple of high end devices to satisfy business and consumers as well as produce lower end devices specifically for business and newly emerging markets (indonesia) then they will be well positioned. As has been noted several times as well the new BlackBerry is going to play to their strengths which is software and security. Like it or not their #1 priority is to provide shareholder wealth and as such they will make decisions based on what the street needs to see. One last note which is a feather in BlackBerry's cap is QNX. With the $60B automotive technology market that is heavily reliant on this technology android and ios are going to have to collaborate with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 04:28 PM
    All I know is that finally at MWC 2015 BB will reveal some phones with power house specs and people can stop complaining LOL. That is why I personally cannot wait for that month to come. I am not saying BB shouldn't use 800 series snapdragon on their phones and I welcome it 100 percent as it will advance the os in many ways possible. My argument is that people are saying that the adreno 225 GPU can't handle certain games and apps from android and bb a like and I am saying it can.....for Christ sake I remember owning the Z10 on 10.2.1 and playing Dead Trigger 2 flawlessly.......
    You keep saying wait and such but waiting 5 more months just to see there might be something on the roadmap. You dont know whats on it and even what they have on it might be another 4 months of more out. The z10 was released 1 year and 11 months ago and the z30 well over 1 year ago. In the smartphone business that is a long time. If you want people to stop complaining then BB has to get off their *** and present something. This whole argument wouldnt be happening had they released an all touch with the same specs as a passport. Instead you say wait another half a year and BB might throw us a bone. Sorry but I am fully on the side of the so called complainers in this one
    12-24-14 04:56 PM
    Chill! You take this sort of thing WAY too seriously.
    12-24-14 07:45 PM
    Do you still have a cathode ray tube TV or did you upgrade to a new flatscreen TV? I bet you got the flatscreen, right?

Of course you upgraded! And it wasn't because your CRT TV broke nor was it because you couldn't see the shows on the CRT TV--you upgraded because the flatscreen is a better TV.

It's simple. Life is not about seeing how seeing how long you can put up with CRT TVs, it's about getting a nice flatscreen to enjoy! LOL!

Smartphones are no different. Don't be a Luddite!

iPhone 6+ / iOS 8.1.2 / T-Mobile USA
    I felt it should be pointed out that not all replace their televisions out of desire to "upgrade"... I got a flatscreen because the tube TVs weren't an option when I needed a replacement... but now I can't play Duck Hunt on my NES.

Not all new tech meets the need of every consumer.

That said, I also get that A) specs are a POWERFUL marketing tool these days, and B) my usage needs (ie. Who plays Duck Hunt anymore?) put me in a small minority, not worth catering to.

When you're a fan of the original Nintendo Entertainment System, you learn to take what you can get! *jokes*

Cr)m... Z10 and PB 32G
    12-24-14 08:32 PM
    Why.....write....with...all.....the ....periods......

Sent from the device that works best for me using Tapatalk HD
    12-24-14 08:56 PM
    I felt it should be pointed out that not all replace their televisions out of desire to "upgrade"... I got a flatscreen because the tube TVs weren't an option when I needed a replacement... but now I can't play Duck Hunt on my NES.

Not all new tech meets the need of every consumer.

That said, I also get that A) specs are a POWERFUL marketing tool these days, and B) my usage needs (ie. Who plays Duck Hunt anymore?) put me in a small minority, not worth catering to.

When you're a fan of the original Nintendo Entertainment System, you learn to take what you can get! *jokes*

Cr)m... Z10 and PB 32G
    Run an NES emulator on a PC using your flat screen TV as monitor.

!
    12-24-14 08:57 PM
    Stop wanting a ultra high end phone every two years and stop wanting to be on a contract for 2 years. Most don't need an ultra high end phone. What happened to us? Why do so many people want to spend $700 on a phone they don't need when a $200 will fit their needs and most likely surpass them?

Posted via CB10
    You just explained why local Android manufacturers (especially chinese ones) will have an immense success in the foreseeable future.

We entered a point, and you identified that correctly, where midrange phones are good enough for nearly every application (and I don't mean apps, I mean use cases). It's not necessary to buy a high-end phone anymore, if you just want your phone to perform buttery smooth and handly day to day applications.

This implies certain things though:
    For the Classic, this means that the device is hopelessly overpriced.
    Every 200$ Android or WP should perform equally well if not better.

It also implies, that high-end sales should start to become less, relatively speaking in terms of market share. (we see that with Samsung already. It started)

If the market doesn't change substantially, such a development is actually in favour of Apple, because they are not only selling high-end phones as high-end phones. They sell a pseudo-lifestyle, and are nearly positioned as a luxury brand with their phones (not on the Vertu level, but in another league than Samsung nonetheless).
    When Samsung and co will have to start to enter the price war, because it'll get impossible to explain to your customers why they should pay twice as much, as for the exact same phone from a local Android manufacturer, Apple shouldn't have that problem.

High-end smartphones will become more of a luxury item, than in the last few years.
    We needed high-end phones in that period, if we wanted an acceptable performance. The justifiable need for a 700$ smartphone, because of its performance, will be gone.

For BlackBerry, this development is actually catastrophical, because they are completely uncompetitive in terms of price/specs, they aren't a luxury brand and enterprise customers have been moving away from them for years already.

When you demand that people should realise that 700$ smartphones are unnecessary, you also demand them to understand that 450$ for a Classic, or 600$ for the Z30 when it launched, were far too much.
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 12-25-14 at 11:14 AM.
    12-25-14 09:33 AM
    When you demand that people should realise that 700$ smartphones are unnecessary, you also demand them to understand that 450$ for a Classic, or 600$ for the Z30 when it launched, were far too much.

No... a $700 phone is a luxury that some people are willing to pay.
    12-25-14 09:44 AM
    No... a $700 phone is a luxury that some people are willing to pay.
    I accounted for that in my little brainstorming

But the person I quoted said clearly that 700$ devices are unnecessary nowadays (and I agree more or less).
    Which means that this obviously applies to BlackBerry as well.

Actually, there are a lot of people who are willing to pay around 700$ for a smartphone nowadays, but not a lot who are willing to pay that for a BlackBerry.

I am also slightly confused...
    Did you say that because you don't think that the Z30 was overpriced?
    Compared to other smartphones at the time, it was hopelessly overpriced.
    12-25-14 11:25 AM
    I accounted for that in my little brainstorming

But the person I quoted said clearly that 700$ devices are unnecessary nowadays (and I agree more or less).
    Which means that this obviously applies to BlackBerry as well.

Actually, there are a lot of people who are willing to pay around 700$ for a smartphone nowadays, but not a lot who are willing to pay that for a BlackBerry.

I am also slightly confused...
    Did you say that because you don't think that the Z30 was overpriced?
    Compared to other smartphones at the time, it was hopelessly overpriced.
    I agree, everyone knows BBRY isn't par with the devices out there today regardless of what the fanboys here think. I paid 900 for the iPhone 5s but wouldn't even think of paying anything near that for a device that has no applications and poor CS
    Flame me all you want but accept the facts, working backwards isn't the best choice or Sony would be re-releasing the Walkman and box TV's would be popular again

Sent using my Note 4
    12-25-14 01:18 PM
    Fix the ecosystem of the native app, then they will start selling

Posted via CB10
    BB_Junky likes this.
    12-25-14 01:28 PM
    Are you going to compare the launch of the Z10 in 2013 to a 2015 release of the rio???

Let's compare the differences

Z10 Horrible Battery 1800mah vs "Rio" 2800mah

Z10 in 2013 has no app support and horrible android runtime VS "rio" Amazon Appstore and more apps than before with improved android runtime

Z10 was expensive about I think 600 to 700 bucks off contract $150 on contact VS "rio" 300 to 400 and cheaper contract pricing again this is not confirmed

Apps is a big big big thing people wanted or would have given BB a chance but with zero app support back then 2013 (Netflix....Candy Crush.....) and so on it wasn't a successful launch at all.

Comparing BB then in 2013 when they weren't doing well to 2015 when blackberry will show better results and much better exposure.

BB is more than devices my friend. People like you are people who have no sense and refuse to see the bigger picture beyond devices.

Boeing released a device and people thought it was a threat to BB but yet boeing is turning to BB to make their device more secure.

Samsung Knox people thought was a threat to BB but yet samsung had to join blackberry in the enterprise world so that they can have knox be supported within BES 12

Ford (6th largest car manufacturer in the world) dumped Microsoft in favor of QNX which is owned by BB to use QNX in all vehicles from 2015 moving forward.

Air Canada....Bombardier...Ocean Capital Investments Displaces MobileIron for BlackBerry Hosted Solution on BES12, BlackBerry�s Cross-platform EMM Solution....Mercedes Benz (Who won by the blackberry)....and much more testing and using BES12,....

CES 2015 reveal Project ION (Internet of things)

MWC Going to reveal their Roadmap for 2015.
    It does not matter because no one outside the BB circle will buy it
    12-25-14 02:05 PM
    GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

BlackBerry hates America!
    12-25-14 10:50 PM
    You just explained why local Android manufacturers (especially chinese ones) will have an immense success in the foreseeable future.

We entered a point, and you identified that correctly, where midrange phones are good enough for nearly every application (and I don't mean apps, I mean use cases). It's not necessary to buy a high-end phone anymore, if you just want your phone to perform buttery smooth and handly day to day applications.

This implies certain things though:
    For the Classic, this means that the device is hopelessly overpriced.
    Every 200$ Android or WP should perform equally well if not better.

It also implies, that high-end sales should start to become less, relatively speaking in terms of market share. (we see that with Samsung already. It started)

If the market doesn't change substantially, such a development is actually in favour of Apple, because they are not only selling high-end phones as high-end phones. They sell a pseudo-lifestyle, and are nearly positioned as a luxury brand with their phones (not on the Vertu level, but in another league than Samsung nonetheless).
    When Samsung and co will have to start to enter the price war, because it'll get impossible to explain to your customers why they should pay twice as much, as for the exact same phone from a local Android manufacturer, Apple shouldn't have that problem.

High-end smartphones will become more of a luxury item, than in the last few years.
    We needed high-end phones in that period, if we wanted an acceptable performance. The justifiable need for a 700$ smartphone, because of its performance, will be gone.

For BlackBerry, this development is actually catastrophical, because they are completely uncompetitive in terms of price/specs, they aren't a luxury brand and enterprise customers have been moving away from them for years already.

Well, I certainly agree with you logic about the rise of the mid range phone. I prefer the word value phone as you get a good bang for the dollar. This is dramatically different than a cheap phone.

I do have problems with other parts of the argument partly because you imply a one size fits all strategy works to markets. For example, Apple's carrier strategy has worked
    well in western countries but is next to useless in many emerging countries like China. That is why Chinese OEMs are blowing by Apple. By the end of 2015 , it is predicted that they will drop to the number 5 position in China. For Apple to gain traction in Asian markets, they will have to enter the value market and dramatically change how the iPhone is marketed.

BlackBerry has already entered the value market in the US. Shop BlackBerry is the first visible sign of this. They sell their phone through non carrier third parties where mark ups can be more tightly controlled. This is how BlackBerry maintains high hardware margins yet offers their phones at significant discounts to Apple and Samsung . Of course, the big problem with this approach is that carriers still rule the roost in the US. They don't want to sell value phones as it cuts into their margins. They also have a very active strategy to keep non carrier parties out of the reseller market. Notice the foot dragging on things like CDMA implementation. It�s not by accident as adopting these sorts of universal formats would weaken in store sales. Oddly enough, you can't pull this sort of anti competitive crap in China.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 04:37 AM
    Run an NES emulator on a PC using your flat screen TV as monitor.

!
    Nice avatar... and the emulator wouldn't solve my Duck Hunt problem. The gun doesn't "communicate" with flatscreen TVs.

.... not that this has anything to do with OP

Cr)m... Z10 and PB 32G
    12-28-14 10:46 PM
    Measurebaters. That's awesome!
    01-03-15 08:26 PM
    Anthony, a lot of complainers here are simply iphone or android fans in sheep's clothing. They are here to discourage anyone from supporting BlackBerry plain and simple. Look at all the devices BlackBerry produces to match their customer needs. Iphone produced only one device for years. 1 phone for all. Now sure they produce the 6 plus, 6, and the cheaper model, but they are all the same. They are just slight spec variants. All that BlackBerry has produced in the last year with its limited resources is short of amazing. These people are working a lot harder per dollar of revenue than anyone else IMO in this sector.

Posted via CB10
    100% bang on.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 09:01 PM
    I'm sorry AR, great argument but not everyone is going to be satisfied with the mid-grade touch screen that is the Rio/Manitoba. Although, I do agree that JC may have something up his sleeve. I hope that's the case cause there is absolutely no argument that is going to make me think a mid-grade phone for $299 or whatever they sell it for is going to be a worthy upgrade from my Z10. But that's just me. Other than enterprise users I'm not sure what consumer is going to be interested in turning in their Android or iPhone for a mid-grade BlackBerry and that's just being realistic about it. It may appeal to legacy users, but that's it, and I seriously doubt it will be offered for free on contract, at least not immediately. Let's sit tight and see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 10:30 PM
    I'm sorry AR, great argument but not everyone is going to be satisfied with the mid-grade touch screen that is the Rio/Manitoba. Although, I do agree that JC may have something up his sleeve. I hope that's the case cause there is absolutely no argument that is going to make me think a mid-grade phone for $299 or whatever they sell it for is going to be a worthy upgrade from my Z10. But that's just me. Other than enterprise users I'm not sure what consumer is going to be interested in turning in their Android or iPhone for a mid-grade BlackBerry and that's just being realistic about it. It may appeal to legacy users, but that's it, and I seriously doubt it will be offered for free on contract, at least not immediately. Let's sit tight and see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    Oh don't get me wrong I expect no z10 user or z30 user to get this....that would make no sense...the only time this device would make sense is if it was priced right like yes 299 than perfect for people who want to buy a friend or family member an introduction phone to blackberry or enterprise fleet phone.....otherwise we existing users are interested in mwc 2015 to see what awaits us......
    01-03-15 10:34 PM
101 ... 2345