I am hoping that I have not made a mistake.
    I just ordered a new unlocked Blackberry Curve 8320 on the internet.

My wife and I plan on traveling outside of the United States
    several times a year and have the need to communicate with each other while we are in the countries.

While we were in China last several people that we traveled with had unlocked cell phones and bought SIM cards and minutes at the airport from China Mobil and were able to talk to each other in the group and call for about .18 per minute China to USA which I think is much cheaper than Ive had with an International Calling plan.

I chose the Curve 8320 so I could also use the smart phone features and also purchase some third party software such translators, money converters and travel information for the country that we are in. Also we like to keep a diary of our travels and because we travel very light it will be nice to have WiFi capabilities.

While I use a cell phone in the US a Verizon this will not be my primary cell, I would purchase a T-Mobile SIM card and keep minutes on it for use occasionally.

Can I download the newest BlackBerry Handheld Software and still purchase SIM cards from other carriers like in South America, Turkey, or Spain and still keep my 3rd party apps.

What other problems will I run into like I said I am hoping that I have not made a mistake.

Thanks for you help in advance

Gophish
    <)((((><
    12-31-08 12:49 AM
    Well seeing that the 8320 has the 4 GSM/GPRS frequencies (850/1900 North America, 900/1800 Europe & Asia), you might be o.k.

Do I understand that you are normally a Verizon Wireless customer, but you will have a T-Mobile SIM for occasional use on T-Mobile in the 8320?

Are you on a contract with T-Mo, or are you on some kind of pay as you use plan?
    12-31-08 01:06 AM
    No I will a pay as I use the minutes

part of my problem is to download the current software for th 8320 will it be propitary to T-Mobil or can it be used with any provider

Gophish
    12-31-08 01:11 AM
    Verizon is not GMS
    12-31-08 01:13 AM
    Verizon is not GMS
    thats correct, you will be fine as long as you put sim cards in there. tmo pay as you go will work
    12-31-08 01:15 AM
    The phone must still be unlocked first before it can be used with a SIM card purchased in a foreign country.

As far as loading the OS into the 8320, follow the instructions in the upgrade threads about how to load the OS from different carriers into your BB. Lots of ppl use ATT software in TMo phones for instance.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that it is unlocked.
    12-31-08 01:17 AM
    The phone must still be unlocked first before it can be used with a SIM card purchased in a foreign country.

As far as loading the OS into the 8320, follow the instructions in the upgrade threads about how to load the OS from different carriers into your BB. Lots of ppl use ATT software in TMo phones for instance.
    yes to all that.
    12-31-08 01:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD