Sorry for bringing up what i assume pops up every now and then.

I have had my Bold 9700 for, what is closing in on two years, and not sure what to do next. I LOVE my CrackBerry, but it is getting worn out, both battery and in general, and i doubt it will survive yet another year of abuse (have to give it credit for sticking around for this long); if it'll live to tell the tale of yet another year it will not work (as it should) for me and i will probably, for one thing, charge it twice a day in a few months. Another point to explain how much i enjoy my 9700 is that i usually change phone within a year and prior to getting the 9700 i had switched phone twice in a year (9700 was in other words my third phone).

Fun and games are not my cup of tea when using a phone (got a X360 and a computer for that purpose), but i want a good music player. I rarely use my camera ("party pictures" i rarely take myself and i have a proper camera for taking pictures when not drinking), but of course, it is nice to have a good camera for times when i actually want to "capture the moment".

I love the keyboard on my CrackBerry; that i can type without looking at the keyboard is so delightful (big emails are done in a flash). I am really looking forward to BB10 and the release of what seem to be the first (truly) proper full-screen phone from RIM, and it reminds me that i some day have to get used to touch-screen keyboards. I have not been happy about the ones you find on the Android phones.

The email functionality from RIM is exceptional and so much better to use than what has been released for Android (not seen Android 4), and something that has to be as funtional on my next phone. Not sure how the UI will be laid out on BB10 compared to Android, maybe i missed something from the videos released from BB World?

That RIM thinks security is important are of course another big plus.

What is making me thinking about moving away from RIM is that i would like a bigger screen and when you actually want to use the browser/internet (facebook, twitter, etc) the 9700 is so damn slow (even worse now than when i bought it). And i would like better specs, since it is getting really sluggish, even after i have wiped it.

The text above explain what is important for me, and maybe i have answered my own question(?), but the phone that is grabbing my attention is Samsung Galaxy S III. Alot of friends have S II and have nothing bad to say. The RIM alternative would be the Bold 9900. I guess alot of you have the latest and greatest from RIM and some might even have or have experience with S II or HTC phones. It all comes down to me asking very nicely for some advice. All advice are very welcome.
    Last edited by wtb_username; 05-08-12 at 10:40 AM.
    05-08-12 10:38 AM
    If you can wait until later in the year when the first BB10 phone is released, I would recommend doing that. If you don't think your 9700 will last that long, have you considered picking up a lightly used newer BlackBerry? I know that 9800's go for around $100-$150 on used websites, or if you want a newer OS7 experience, 9810's go for around $200. The reason I am suggesting the 98 series is because it will allow you to adjust, at your own pace, to the onscreen keyboard. Seeing as it has both a physical and a virtual keyboard, you will be able to make the transition as you get more comfortable with it as opposed to being forced into it with a Samsung Galaxy SIII
    05-08-12 10:50 AM
    You could always do what your friends are doing, or do what you want to do, but you pretty much have answered your own questions, you like your blackberry!!

If you like your 9700 that much then you will love the 9900, battery life is not the best but the speed of the phone and amazing keyboard will more than make you happy, the browser is good too. Life is all about give and take, you just can't have that great keyboard and a big screen, well not until next year when the BB10 physical qwerty comes out, which i have no doubt will be amazing!

Forgot to add the 9800/9810 you would probably like the 9810, its a fast phone too, a bit bulky for me, but the 9900 is slim and light, lovely!
    Last edited by Olukunlea; 05-08-12 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Addition
    05-08-12 11:07 AM
    A few comments/questions...

1) You can pick up new batteries for your 9700 on Amazon for under $10. That is a cheap way to extend the life of your phone.

2) Are you on AT&T?

3) What e-mail do you use?

Assuming that you are on AT&T...

I have the GSII, which is a great phone - which jives with the comments that you've heard. If you use Gmail, it works really well through the Gmail app - better than what I experienced with my 9700. I know that Yahoo also has an e-mail app out, but I'm not sure how well that works.

The GSIII should be a worthy phone. Another option to consider (if you go Android) is the One X. I was in a store today, and held one. I was impressed a) with how it felt in the hand (thin and light) and b) that it actually wasn't too big (actually a good size). I'm not sure if one of those two phones is really going to be any better than the other. Both appear to have plenty of horsepower to handle the OS, both have LTE, etc.

As for the keyboard, touchscreens are the way of the future. You can put it off, or dive head in. If you do opt for Android, keep in mind that Swiftkey (especially the latest Beta 3, which should be out of beta in a month or so) if the best keyboard.

For me, switching from my 9700 (which I loved) to my GSII took a week or so of getting used to. But, I now can't imagine going back to a BB w/ a physical keyboard. You can, also, get a new Android, use it for up to a month, and return it (w/ restocking fee) if you don't like it, and return to your 9700.
    Last edited by psufan32; 05-08-12 at 11:14 AM.
    05-08-12 11:11 AM
    I'll sale you my username, Make me an offer. All joking aside, If you can swing it get the 9900 off contract & wait to see what BB10 has to offer.
    Last edited by RoseBud68; 05-08-12 at 11:18 AM.
    05-08-12 11:15 AM
    As the previous folks have stated, if you believe your device can last until BB10 release in the fall --- then that device looks like it will meet or exceed all your needs. But if you cannot wait, and need to make a decision try to weight on a few variables (which it seems you are doing quite well).

Personally, I've been using BlackBerry devices since the day of the 7000 series of smartphone. I love my BB, and when it comes to typing an email, text or using the keyboard for any reason the BlackBerry wins hands down by comparison to any touch screen device.

The 9800 series devices are pretty good and would give you that physical keyboard and virtual keyboard to switch back and forth, and they can be got for pretty cheap. Currently I own both a Motorola Atrix (Android with 4.0+) and a BlackBerry 9900. Both are used daily, but for different tasks. Atrix I use for watching videos (youtube..), browsing the web, casual gaming, reading ebooks and taking pictures. The Bold 9900 I use for BBM, Phone, Text, Email and IMs. So looking at that, try to figure out what is more important, and decide based on need.

If I had to go with one device instead of two, I'd be heavily looking to wait until the fall for BB10 (which I'm hoping to replace my atrix with a BB10 device). If I couldnt wait, and needed to make a choice now...BB 9800 series with both physical keyboard, and larger screen space for video playback.

My 2 cents.

Newf
    05-08-12 11:15 AM
    I would just get a 9780 to tide you over until the new BB comes out. Or a new battery for your 9700. Save your money for the next phone in the meantime.
    05-08-12 01:07 PM
    I would go on craigslist and just find a nice used 99xx. The resale is pretty bad I got my 9860 for 350 three months ago. Just make sure you try the phone out before you buy it. That phone should keep you happy till next year when the physical keyboard BlackBerry launches.
    05-08-12 01:12 PM
    Or better yet, grab a 16gb playbook to pair with your 9700.
    05-08-12 01:16 PM
    Personally, i wouldn't wait around for a BB10 device. Its no telling when it will be released. You could be waiting forever. Especially for a BB10 phone with a keyboard.

I would just get the 9900. I have one and love it
    05-08-12 01:44 PM
    I am at the crossroads here. Advise appreciated
    Left. Always left.

/nods sagely
    05-08-12 01:46 PM
    Wow. Thanks to all for taking the time to help out. Really appreciate it.

What i, of course, should mention is that i live in Norway, where the market for BlackBerry isnt that big and i rarely see anybody but business people who use it.

@ tfp: I have not thought about picking up a used 9810. Guess they are a cheap alternative, and as you mention, will atleast give me some sort of transition to a world without a physical keyboard. Will consider that advice.

@ Olukunlea: Its not about following a trend and/or do what my friends do. If that was the case i would have got myself an Iphone or Samsung or HTC phone a long time ago.
    As you say, its all about "give and take"; and i also believe that RIM will provide me with both when they release their new phone with BB10. Thats why i hate that it seem like a while until it actually are available.

@ psufan32: As written above i should have mentioned that i live in Norway, so no AT&T for me. Of course, a new battery would be a step in the right direction; better than nothing. Thanks for the advice.
    I do not use a Gmail account, have one though, for the forum registrations, mailing lists, etc. Have my own domain with the email i use for all other purposes. And the fact that Gmail works much better than your private email is what bugs me (atleast my own impression after trying Android and its also what i have heard from others).
    You're right about the touchscreen. I truly believe that there is no way back for the physical keyboard anymore.

@ RoseBud68: I can get one, no doubt. Just starting to think i should wait and instead get a new battery or get a used 9810. Wanted a 9900 since it hit the market, but if i can find a good alternative and save money i can live without it for a little longer.

@ newfieboy25: True that. I believe that (atleast for now) that BB10 and their new devices will exceed my expectations, which is why i am debating what to do until they arrive. Have to admit i thought RIM would sink and drown before BB World.
    Dual Wielding is an option i have thought about alot actually. But i think it would be too much for me to deal with to be honest.
    When it comes to needs, if i am going to be honest, the BB wins. No doubt.
    9810 is a good choice for me, at this moment. Just have to take time to think about it for a few days; what to do.

@ know.nothing: Between getting a 9780 and a new battery i would say that getting a new battery wins. And, of course, i might give it a go, since it is a cheap option; worst case scenario i would have to bring my own food to work (from home) instead of buying lunch

@ BoldPreza: In general, i am sceptical when it comes to buying used phones. But yeah, if i am to go down that path, trying it and checking it out before i hand over the cash is a must.

@ know.nothing: Hehe. Oh, how i would love to have a Playbook. Just hard to justify it at this point. If i had a new and shiny phone, the story would be different

@ shemaree09: Exactly my thought too. On one hand they really need to get it out, like, yesterday. But who knows how many more months it may take before we have an estimated date for the OS and a phone. When it comes to the touchscreen keyboard i might as well get used to it. And, for some reason, i am convinced that RIM can make one i can live with (no idea why. Maybe because they got me away from the touchscreen keyboard). I am so damn unsure know; you all can probably tell. Hehe. Oh how i wished RIM would have a set date for their new device and OS (like so many others i assume).

@ omniusovermind: As an Atheist, left is always the right choice. In this case i just have to figure out what is to be found down that path. Hehe

Again, thanks for your time and help. I have to think about it for a few days. Maybe i will get a 9810 if i find one, at a good price. Or just getting a new battery and hibernate until BB10 are released. Two options i have to admit i did not consider.
    05-08-12 02:49 PM
    Don't get a 9800, the 9810 is the one to get between the two...or get the 9900, or 9860

...and pair the phone with a playbook

Make sure the phone runs on a 4G network (as H+)
    05-08-12 02:50 PM
    Left. Always left.

/nods sagely
    Well, Moses made a big mistake by doing just that. Instead, if he turned right, all Jewish people would have been laughing all the way to the bank now.
    So there....
    05-08-12 03:02 PM
    im waiting until bb10 then paying the $300 to get out of my iphone/bell contract and going to wind (if bb10 phones are supported)
    05-08-12 03:09 PM
    im waiting until bb10 then paying the $300 to get out of my iphone/bell contract and going to wind (if bb10 phones are supported)
    How much background have you done on Wind so far? Last time I checked (about 3 months ago) their coverage in NA outside of major cities was pretty lackluster and their data speeds were abysmal. Hence why they can afford to undercut everyone so much.

Then you have another problem to worry about - I can't see Wind pushing OS patches as timely as the bigger NA carriers, and they're bad enough as it is. Wind's prices appear attractive on the surface, until I found out that the rule "you get what you pay for" applies here as well.

I also had a chance to play with tethering through Wind for a week on a friend's device. The speeds were just awful and the data kept dropping me. Another key thing to bear in mind - They offer unlimited data. What their ads don't tell you is that once you cross a certain GB threshold, they throttle their already slow data speeds on you.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 05-08-12 at 03:26 PM.
    05-08-12 03:24 PM
    My girlfriends parents are on Wind and if they hit the outskirts of Mississauga, a somewhat major city just outside of Toronto, they have 0 reception. I know that Wind is always "expanding" their coverage zones, but this is rediculous. I looked into Wind a year ago for my sister as her Rogers contract was expiring and she was looking for options, but her house was outside of the Wind coverage zone and she lives off of Highway 400 and Rutherford across from Canada's Wonderland but go north one exit to Major Mackenzie and coverage!

I'd really look into where you live, work and play before switching to Wind.
    05-09-12 11:53 AM
    If you can handle a wait, checkout bb10 if you want to stick with Rim. You say you love blackberry. I got away from one a long time ago. The cpu, the overall lack of quality, and just a ty product was it for me. Seeing the london or what is believed to be the blade looks relatively impressive. Something I could consider however, god knows when it will be released, and I bet heavily on that, it wont be without its issues. London would have been a fine fit in the market a year ago. I am well over due for a upgrade. Awaiting S3 or whatever provider has a great quad core phone. I hear many bumping one x but, this phone has no slot for external memory. Count me out.
    05-09-12 12:25 PM
    My girlfriends parents are on Wind and if they hit the outskirts of Mississauga, a somewhat major city just outside of Toronto, they have 0 reception. I know that Wind is always "expanding" their coverage zones, but this is rediculous. I looked into Wind a year ago for my sister as her Rogers contract was expiring and she was looking for options, but her house was outside of the Wind coverage zone and she lives off of Highway 400 and Rutherford across from Canada's Wonderland but go north one exit to Major Mackenzie and coverage!

I'd really look into where you live, work and play before switching to Wind.
    They have zero coverage unless you are in your main city from what I gather though, many new providers are popping up.
    05-09-12 12:26 PM
    I have the Torch 9810, I would recommend that one completely. You did mention that Facebook is slow as , and you want a bigger screen, Torch is fast as caffeine and has a bigger screen AND the phys keyboard to boot.
    05-09-12 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD