Whilst maintaining BB10 and including a layer of security? A better version of Android..

I'm not too tech savvy to know the finer details into why it wouldn't work, but is it possible?

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 04:46 PM
    wooow i wonder how that would work
    07-01-13 04:48 PM
    Hypothetically, if Android Player were developed to the point where it's good enough, it could probably work from a technical standpoint, though I suspect the odd app might have certain issues, but that's not unusual for Android apps with such a vast variety of devices for developers to keep in mind. The real issue is the politics involved in getting the green light from Google to include the Play Store on BlackBerry 10 - if I remember correctly, you can't just stick it on any random Android device, you need Google's approval.
    07-01-13 04:53 PM
    Why not just buy an android?
    Bilaal and sexybabe88 like this.
    07-01-13 05:22 PM
    Technically it's possible.....or a lot of variations of this is also possible....like improving the run time approach they are currently taking.
    Hardware device is going to be a horrible business just like PC business...It's how fast they can move to services with BES10, BBM, icensing OS or something with QNX...

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 05:22 PM
    It would be looked upon as BlackBerry selling out almost, but as soon as they place Google Play Store on our phones, the app problem sorts itself out and then they just need to focus on the marketing.

Why not just buy an Android? Well, it's like with anything, for example, when people use softwares to dual boot Windows on their Macs, why not just buy a Windows computer?

When you wanna extend the size of your house, why not just buy a new house? Having a choice, (just like Android fans stand by), is a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    jazsta123 likes this.
    07-01-13 06:01 PM
    IMO, this is the only way BlackBerry has a chance to survive. They MUST close the app gap and enabling Google Play on BB10 is the fastest way to so this.

If legally or technically they are unable to do this then they should just give up. There is no point in even trying.

Don't get me wrong, there are other issues but there's no point in bothering with those if they can't bring all/most apps to the BlackBerry platform.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 06:43 PM
    as soon as they place Google Play Store on our phones, the app problem sorts itself out and then they just need to focus on the marketing.
    Posted via CB10
    wouldnt that mean they lose focus on urging developers to create native apps though? developers would also feel like its a waste of time to develop if Blackberry alread has their android app running to develop on their own initiative too
    07-01-13 06:44 PM
    I'm all for it. Shut up the "No apps" morons once and for all.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 06:52 PM
    Yes it will reduce the amount of native apps. This is true. But I assure you that that is a better issue to deal with then going out of business.

MOST people will not even consider the platform if it doesn't have ALL the apps. Once the platform stabilizes and the number of devices is reasonable then the Developers can be coaxed and encouraged to develop native apps.

Don't under estimate the issue. IMO, it's the #1 issue for the BB10 platform.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 06:57 PM
    A few developers have now created native apps after porting Android apps (can't remember which ones exactly), the same could happen to a lot of the other big name apps once BB10 has gained true traction once and if Google Play Store is allowed on BB10. Like I said on another post some days ago, the phone experience will only attract a few people and only attract people for a short period of time before they start asking if such n such an app is available.

If anything, the first question people ask is if such and such an app is available. "No? okay, I'll buy that pretty iPhone look-a-like phone then.. "

Posted via CB10
    araskin likes this.
    07-01-13 08:01 PM
    as someone said, just buy an Android and this is what i did..
    i was given a free Z10 from work in feb i think...then it was time to replace my wife's phone..we decided to move away from BB due to the not so good experience with a crappy BB7 which froze, lagged and was generally not good after the first few months..
    we spoke of samsung S3 or Note II it was 2 months ago..im not a huge fan of samsung like i used to be due to their cheap tactics to undermine competition..so we went to shop and we bumped into the HTC one..once we saw that phone it was game over..bought it for her...i used it also for a few weeks and decided to replace my personal phone (Nokia N9) with this ultimate phone..i bought one for myself a month ago...amazing phone..i have the Z10 but its not only about app store(our first droids ever)..the phone itself is just powerful..beautiful screen, very nice features like blink feed and zoe..etc...now my Z10 rests in my drawer although its from work..i have set up exchange on my HTC one so i dont use the Z10..Z10 is nice but it gets blown away comparing it to the latest droids of today...app store is a major problem with BBs but they lag in other departments too when it comes to hardware etc...also recently the Z10 started to lag bringing back old memories...pages dont swipe as smoothly..takes a while before apps open..taken even longer to open the app store...the phone itself i believe looks good but again next to HTC one, no phone, and this includes ipohne5 and S4 can provide the ultimate experience in terms of physical looks and performance..the overall experience for the One is just amazing..
    07-01-13 11:42 PM
    The reason BB10 doesn't use the Google Play Store isn't because it's not possible, or hasn't been worked out yet. Instead, it's because BBRY would rather get the revenue from apps purchased for BB10 devices and not Google. To get the revenue from app sales, the apps would have to be sold via BBRY's appworld.

If BBRY didn't want the revenue from Android app sales, they could have easily coordinated with Google to work it out and make it happen. And Google would have been happy to oblige.
    07-01-13 11:46 PM
    i dont know, yes itll be great to instantly have all the apps but unless this is done with Googles full permission to basically sponge their app library and give a competitor a leg up and if Blackberry is reliant on another platforms app store almost completely after getting it up and running then theyll face getting the plug pulled on it at any time and/or a law suit (maybe just speculating) leaving them with their original 70,000 apps which devs wont be as interested in developing natively for

it wouldnt really inspire confidence in a consumer that buys the product either having two app stores: one from a competitor with hundreds of thousands of business, medical apps, study apps, banking apps, etc and another with a few popular and a few good documents/business apps but hardly enough to kit your phone out properly (depending on the apps needed and the type of person) youll feel like you might as well have bought the android phone where its all native. i really want blackberry to develop native apps instead of using googles app store, i think google will drag blackberrys reputation down if apps force close or manage to mess the phone up with apps that are hard to uninstall or drain the battery from constant running in the background as already experienced sideloaded by some
    07-02-13 12:31 AM
    What's the point of native apps if the Android runtime works perfectly?
    I mean, it's not like native apps will cause your children to score A+ in tests. Native is usually about performance, so if the Android ports works at the same level as native, it's as native as it can get, especially if the app doesn't want to leverage "share to bbm" etc etc et

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    07-02-13 12:38 AM