Security notice for CB community:

A researcher has revealed the names of hundreds of Android apps that leave users open to theft of credit card and personal information on public wifi networks.

Hundreds of Android apps open to SSL-linked intercept fail | ZDNet

Posted via CB10
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    09-05-14 11:55 AM
    *phew*... good thing BBM isn't on that list, that would have been embarrassing.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...lview?sle=true

Posted via CB10
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    09-05-14 12:02 PM
    Heres the link to list of apps via Google Docs spreadsheet. I can see simple apps not paying much attention to proper SSL but apps like Turbotax SnapTax?

Not sure how this affects the equivalent app in Amazon but I imagine that any update will take awhile to make it there.
    09-05-14 12:33 PM
    I think all the hacking problems are going to force some major changes. Sort of like disease, famine and war. Public education will become critical, just like any other social problem. I think eventually manufacturers and service providers will be held accountable for making privacy decisions easier and more secure, though the law naturally lags behind technology changes. There will always be pirates. Maybe making them walk the gangplank will come back into fashion?
    bakron1 and Poirots Progeny like this.
    09-05-14 12:36 PM
    That is precisely why I use a vpn and try to never use an unknown public WiFi hotspot.
    Sent using tapatalk!
    09-05-14 12:40 PM
    Looked through the list and didn't recognize any of them. Mostly games and junk. People just have to be smart.

Sent from my N5
    09-05-14 02:00 PM
    Looked through the list and didn't recognize any of them. Mostly games and junk. People just have to be smart.

Sent from my N5
    Not sure if these popular apps (i'll list some below) are deemed games and junk. I'm surprised that you don't recognize some of these. The tone and manner of your reply sounds dismissive of this security issue and I would argue a disservice to readership.

These are apps people use for security, financial, storage, productivity services to name a few. How many people just use Swiftkey alone?

Swiftkey Keyboard
    Kapersky Internet Security
    GadgetTrak Mobile Security
    CIBC Mobile Banking
    Verizon Wireless
    AT&T Mobile Workplace
    uTorrent Remote
    XDA-Developers
    Microsoft Tech Companion
    Cloud Manager
    Avira Secure Workplace
    Cisco Class Locator Fast Lane
    CM Security
    Truecaller - CallerID & Block
    Vevo
    Yellow Pages Local Search
    Pizza Hut
    TurboTax
    Zipcar

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 03:12 PM
    Not sure if these popular apps (i'll list some below) are deemed games and junk. I'm surprised that you don't recognize some of these. The tone and manner of your reply sounds dismissive of this security issue and I would argue a disservice to readership.

These are apps people use for security, financial, storage, productivity services to name a few. How many people just use Swiftkey alone?

Swiftkey Keyboard
    Kapersky Internet Security
    GadgetTrak Mobile Security
    CIBC Mobile Banking
    Verizon Wireless
    AT&T Mobile Workplace
    uTorrent Remote
    XDA-Developers
    Microsoft Tech Companion
    Cloud Manager
    Avira Secure Workplace
    Cisco Class Locator Fast Lane
    CM Security
    Truecaller - CallerID & Block
    Vevo
    Yellow Pages Local Search
    Pizza Hut
    TurboTax
    Zipcar

Posted via CB10
    Anyone who gives out credit card information on an open Wifi network needs some education. While I don't believe software and hardware developers are blameless, when are people going to use common sense?

Sent from my N5
    09-05-14 04:41 PM
    Anyone who gives out credit card information on an open Wifi network needs some education. While I don't believe software and hardware developers are blameless, when are people going to use common sense?

Sent from my N5
    I understand your point. When we bought the Chromecast, my husband (who is a software engineer) had concerns that our Wifi could not remain hidden even though it was secured. And months later security issues were brought up with that Rick Astley video hack on Chromecast. But our friends did not really care about the security issues. Truly up to consumers to educate themselves.

Typed with my Q10, or Z10, or Q10, or...
    09-05-14 06:07 PM
    There is a certain reality that the average consumer isn't well enough informed or just does not care about issues like this. If they were informed or if they did care I would think a lot more people would be using a BlackBerry. But, they aren't like me or like a lot of a people around these forums, who actively seek out to educate ourselves about these issues.

This issue reminds me of a friend of mine. Their family never locked their doors. "There's nothing to steal" they'd say... until, not once but twice they found a drug addict squatting in their house.
    09-05-14 06:34 PM
    There is a certain reality that the average consumer isn't well enough informed or just does not care about issues like this. If they were informed or if they did care I would think a lot more people would be using a BlackBerry. But, they aren't like me or like a lot of a people around these forums, who actively seek out to educate ourselves about these issues.

This issue reminds me of a friend of mine. Their family never locked their doors. "There's nothing to steal" they'd say... until, not once but twice they found a drug addict squatting in their house.
    Security breaches were never an issue when these people carried BBs. So they don't even consider the possibility.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 08:20 PM
    I guess I'm old fashioned, but i don't use any apps for any sort of money related transactions unless its BlackBerry world and my paypal...

Browser and an ol' fashion website is the route i take for everything finance related... and only on my Z30, you would have to be crazy to type that kind of information into a laptop now a days

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30
    09-06-14 04:27 AM