A BlackBerry user where I work contacted me because he was getting what he thought was spam sent to his work BB. I did a little research and it turns out it wasn't spam. Instead it was email that belongs to the previous owner of the BB.

I contacted the previous owner using the email address that was showing up on my user's BB. The previous owner said he bought the 8830 and then upgraded to the 9630. His cell phone rep told him they would wipe the previous device.

I think they did wipe the device, I can't find a service book for this guys email on the 8830. What I think happened was that the BIS account wasn't deleted. When he switched to the 9630 I'm guessing they configured it on a BES and the previous BIS account for the 8830 wasn't deleted.

For the past 2 or 3 weeks every email sent to this guys email address was being sent to my users BB!

HUGE privacy issue! Does something like this happen frequently? Or did the carrier mess up big time? Or was it the users fault?

He said he was going to change the password for his email account. That should fix the problem.
    04-13-10 11:14 AM
    Carrier messed up probably, tell them to look into this to be sure the BIS account is down. This kind of stuff probably happens every once in a while, though a more common thing that happens is PIN messages meant for the previous owner going through to the new owner as the PIN is unique to the BlackBerry and hence won't be changed no matter what.
    04-13-10 11:43 AM
    The user was at fault for not removing the device from the BIS before turning it over to another user.
    04-13-10 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD