I keep hearing rumors about these Web apps becoming the new thing in the future to kill the app gap situation from different platforms. As I can see, the minority OS's WP10, BB10, Sailfish, etc they all have HTML5 support in their browsers. BB10 has an app gap indeed which is why I see they went the android route. But come to find out, majority of those apps on Google play store, alot of people don't and you really don't need every app from the store. It's all about access to some. BB10 can always has add an "Add to Homescreen" option. I'm wondering if other HTML5 browser supporters OS's can do the same thing.

If so, what are the possibilities of BB10 having a possible future?? I'm not trying to hold on to dear life but I can't help but be skeptical about the future of web apps. It also makes me wonder if any other old OS that supports HTML5 will the come back to life and get support?? But their is major possibility that HTML5 will evolve to 6 or something else. We shall see....

But what are your opinions on the future of web apps and BB10 possibly having life again because of web app support?
    04-24-17 04:19 PM
    None. BB10 is over. Sorry, but the facts are the facts.
    04-24-17 04:30 PM
    Progressive web apps will just support Chrome and maybe down the line Safari so thats not a solution for BB10.
    04-24-17 04:35 PM
    That maybe would have been better worded if op had said qnx rather than BB10.
    I personally wouldn't rule anything out with BlackBerry, who'd have thought 5years ago that BlackBerry devices would be running Android. There's definitely a change of wind. Stuff BlackBerry users have been banging on about for years seems to be getting more main stream. People are getting more pissed at the amount of privacy that has to be sacrificed in order to use companies electronic goods.
    If things carry on this way and Web based apps non os specific seem to be the future rather than a play store I can't see why BlackBerry wouldn't try and exploit it for financial gain.
    They're in a better position than most to do just that and own qnx which they will be still looking at roi. Probably just not in the BB10 format though.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    04-24-17 04:45 PM
    That maybe would have been better worded if op had said qnx rather than BB10.
    I personally wouldn't rule anything out with BlackBerry, who'd have thought 5years ago that BlackBerry devices would be running Android. There's definitely a change of wind. Stuff BlackBerry users have been banging on about for years seems to be getting more main stream. People are getting more pissed at the amount of privacy that has to be sacrificed in order to use companies electronic goods.
    If things carry on this way and Web based apps non os specific seem to be the future rather than a play store I can't see why BlackBerry wouldn't try and exploit it for financial gain.
    They're in a better position than most to do just that and own qnx which they will be still looking at roi. Probably just not in the BB10 format though.
    But that's the problem. People find "rumors" that are a from a couple of years back, and think that they found new life for BB10. Would they care if web apps helped another OS be successful?
    04-24-17 05:04 PM
    The BB10 browser has decent support for the HTML5 standard. At the one point it was arguably the best at supporting the standard.

The problem is the standard doesn't matter as much as people here would like to think. When a company makes a website for mobile users, they make sure it works with Chrome and Safari, because that's what 99% of users have. In other words, the standard isn't actually HTML5, the real standards are Chrome and Safari now.

You develop with Chrome and Safari, and you test with Chrome and Safari.

Also this "trend" away from platform specific apps doesn't actually exist. It's just the dream of Microsoft and BlackBerry and PALM fans who wish Android and iOS didn't own the entire market.

The reality is they do for now, and developers know that. So why not use the full rich set of native API's and capabilities that Android and iOS provide? Why paint only with crayons?
    04-24-17 05:41 PM
    Gee that's what they all thought when the Web (HTML & Browser) came to the desktop.
    04-24-17 05:49 PM
    No.
    04-24-17 05:57 PM
    Cross-platform standards will always be, by definition, a "lowest-common denominator" standard, limited to doing things that are possible to do on every platform - and in the case of HTML5, not even that, because many hardware capabilities aren't available to HTML5. It takes a long time to get parties from 20+ companies and a dozen or more separate standards organizations to all agree not only to support a feature, but HOW to support it - and by then, individual companies will have made those features available in their native apps for years.

Also, an app can be modified to have the look and feel of the OS its running on, but an HTML app naturally has to be more generic, so that it doesn't look so out-of-place on multiple OSs that have different designs.

Apps also have the ability to do a lot of work off-line, and that's still important for many people and many types of usage. HTML5 apps need a web connection to work.

The fact is that HTML5 apps already exist in large numbers, and have for a long time - but they're almost always limited and lack features compared to native apps, and don't give the same user experience - making HTML5 apps noncompetitive. That's why apps are so important, and why that isn't likely to change anytime soon.

In any case, "saving BB10" needed to happen in 2013. It's years too late to have any hope of that.
    Freyjadour and app_Developer like this.
    04-25-17 11:12 AM
    I'll believe HTML5 will save BB10 when BB themselves transition BBM to HTML5.
    04-26-17 05:43 AM
    I do believe, that HTML type apps can call phone/os (ios/Android/BB10) specific lower level api stuff through a phone specific app written web-server running on the phone (written and provided by the app maker, for the phone specific needs - perhaps even a generic library).Hence access to the other stuff is possible - and compartmentalized. Don't know if anyone has taken this approach though. Feel free to correct me, if I am technically wrong about this though.
    04-26-17 10:45 PM
    Also .....Mobile audience growth seems to be driven by the Web, and not by Apps, though apps have their place too.
    04-26-17 11:22 PM