hi guys i'm doing a project on how people would feel if RIM really goes bankrupt and sell everything and then blackberry disappeared. what would be your reaction how would you feel, how would you communicate it?
    01-22-13 09:41 PM
    I would feel like .... Your project failed.
    01-22-13 10:06 PM
    Why would you say such a thing? There are young children on this board too, you know.

Seriously though, I'd obviously be very upset. RIM is perhaps the only phone manufacturer that values communication above all other aspects.
    01-22-13 10:07 PM
    thanks masahiro, thats what my project centers; on how secure and effective communication will be lost.
    01-22-13 10:16 PM
    You need to have debt to go bankrupt. RIM will be around for a long long time.
    01-22-13 10:26 PM
    i know that, this is just an hypothetical situation. i really love RIM products, i want them to stay for a long time.
    01-22-13 10:30 PM
    i know that, this is just an hypothetical situation. i really love RIM products, i want them to stay for a long time.
    Worst case scenario - RIM sells their hardware division to concentrate on services provision = still got Blackberry. Even if they sold the services division (lord knows why they'd sell the Golden Goose though) whoever bought it would want to continue the cash flow. You can't lose.
    01-22-13 10:35 PM
    Heart broken.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    jesse_h and shemaree09 like this.
    01-22-13 10:36 PM
    Worst case scenario - RIM sells their hardware division to concentrate on services provision = still got Blackberry. Even if they sold the services division (lord knows why they'd sell the Golden Goose though) whoever bought it would want to continue the cash flow. You can't lose.
    I think you're missing the point here, my friend. This young lad, the OP, is trying to write a paper for school. We're talking hypothetically, how would you feel, emotionally. We're not discussing the details of a hypothetical sale.
    josecarlosc, Berry_Pink and JR A like this.
    01-22-13 10:44 PM
    Personally, I would go through the stages of loss and grief. I would be sad. Eventually, and reluctantly I would move on to Android. I wouldn't be as happy with my new android, but I'd make due. As the years pass, the thought of BlackBerry would be nothing but a distant memory. This saddens me.
    josecarlosc, JR A and MADBRADNYC like this.
    01-22-13 10:47 PM
    Oh I would be pretty sad because Security is pretty important to me and with all those other platforms not having very reliable security, I don't know where I would turn honestly. For years, I wanted a BlackBerry, but they were too expensive. 3 years ago, I wised up and bought one. Best decision ever.
    josecarlosc likes this.
    01-22-13 10:58 PM
    I would hate the fact that I am being forced to use something that's inferior to what I want just because others couldn't see that and media bias is a female doggy.
    josecarlosc and MADBRADNYC like this.
    01-22-13 11:04 PM
    I'd feel bad. . .then buy another phone and quickly get over it?
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-22-13 11:41 PM
    Pretty sure I would get along with my life, it's not like I have security at stake or things to hide/backup
    01-22-13 11:43 PM
    I shutter at the thought!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-22-13 11:47 PM
    It would be a sad day as it would eliminate options for consumers. I personally am more excited than ever about the launch of BB10 and as we come closer to launch many that have been down on BB for the longest time are finally talking them up again. I think that at this point even a lot of the naysayers would have a sad place in their hearts if this were to happen.
    josecarlosc and Masahiro like this.
    01-22-13 11:57 PM
    I would be relatively devastated as I rely on my 'Berry for alot of my personal life responsibilities, not just for recreational stuff.
    Our choices as consumers would drop severely, and i'm speaking for the security minded consumers specifically.
    People often underrate RIM in just how much they own and produce excluding just BlackBerry itself, I don't believe they are going to quit making the BlackBerrys, they are not hurting as bad as everyone wants to think, just because they don't have the profit numbers of Apple or Google doesn't mean they are about to disappear.
    Our only choices at present would be Google (with the least data secure platform of the pack), Apple or Microsoft.

I've thought on this subject a couple times, and ultimately I would end up rolling with Microsoft if the worst occured, and this is assuming it weren't possible for me to get many more years out of the 'Berrys I presently own now, even to the point of using it without a data plan as if BlackBerry disappeared, the phone functionality on a network would be there, but the data probably wouldn't since BlackBerry disappearing would likely involve the loss of the NOC and subsequently, BIS. Indeed, i'd rather use my present apps and functionality on WiFi only. I carried a 9650 up until just recently when I found a way to afford a used 9900. Suffice it to say, i'm a user who does not need to be bleeding edge and I don't have the attitude that because something is a couple years behind means it automatically useless and horrible (ie 9650 during the OS 7 era, 9900 during the coming era of BB10, etc.)

So to sum it up, if BB were to fully disappear as a product, and if the day finally came I could not squeeze any use whatsoever out of the BBs I currently own, I would have no other choice but to choose another platform, which for me would be MS, as I do not trust Android or Google Inc for that matter, and I want nothing to do with Apple as I feel their device is heavily marketed and under-developed. It was nifty when it first came out, but to me the OS is nothing but an app launcher and serves little purpose otherwise, not to mention that it always struck me as a Fischer Price OS; I just don't feel it has any personality or personal connection whatsoever, it's not for me, but i'd sooner trust it for security than I would Android. Microsoft at least has the strongest background (in my opinion) of enterprise presence and experience to boot.

Good luck with your report.
    /end rant

josecarlosc and JR A like this.
    01-23-13 01:39 AM
    I'd be sure I was in a dream since all indications are leading into the bb10 launch -- that Blackberry is more likely to stick around and probably prosper.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    josecarlosc likes this.
    01-23-13 01:51 AM
    I would obviously be upset because of the high hopes I have for both RIM and BB to get back into the game. But you know, life would go on and I would move on to another plaftorm that would best suit my needs.
    01-23-13 04:10 AM
    devastated... from a messaging point of view, I think blackberry has the best means of messaging be it social, text or email.... and by mean I mean everything... typing efficiency, push notificarions, ease of use etc
    MADBRADNYC and josecarlosc like this.
    01-23-13 05:19 AM
    Ask the WebOS community. That will give you a complete paper without having to hypothesis.
    Berry_Pink, undone, JR A and 1 others like this.
    01-23-13 05:31 AM
    01-23-13 07:15 AM
    I would be disappointed since it would mean less competition in the mobile space. More competition forces more innovation. If we lose a competitor, pressure to innovate is reduced.
    undone and josecarlosc like this.
    01-23-13 09:43 AM
    I would be disappointed, I've been using some kind of Blackberry device for over 5 years. Its become my mobile way of life. I guess I would have go back to the drawing board (RESEARCH), and see which mobile devices BEST suits my mobile lifestyle.
    kbz1960, Masahiro and josecarlosc like this.
    01-23-13 09:46 AM
    Honestly rimm already failed me and I got an ip5, couldn't be happier with it. Rimms virtually dead anyway, the software on those things is practically from 2005
    I'm glad your satisfied with the iphone 5, maybe another site is in your best interest. That way you wouldn't have to subject yourself to questions concerning BlackBerry
    cjcampbell and JR A like this.
    01-23-13 09:50 AM
52 123