I cleaned my trackball today but I didn't take it out, I just cleaned it with alcohol and cotton swabs. It looks much clearer and i've also got some improved upward scrolling (must have had too much gunk underneath lol). My question is can't remember what the trackball looked like when I first bought it, you know to compare, so people who have new BBs is your trackball completely clear, like its looks white with the backlight on?

If anyone wouldn't mine postin a pic of their new BB with the backlight on that'd be even better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-08 03:54 PM
    Eh. I wouldn't exactly call mine white..
    08-23-08 03:56 PM
    Since my Curve is new, the trackball is pretty clear. Give it some time, and it'll be that nice shade of orange...

Wait, what?
    08-23-08 03:57 PM
    I just bought mine about a month ago, and its still pretty clear....
    08-23-08 04:01 PM
    I replace mine from my stock pile ever 3 months or so..... nice and white now
    08-23-08 04:05 PM
    mines kinda black when it doesn't light up and its not white when it lights up but another color yellowish kinda...maybe thats why its so hard to scroll down with my trackball...how did u say you clean it again? lol
    08-23-08 04:10 PM
    I just used a cotton swab w/ alcohol on it n rub hard. But there's a tutorial on how to remove and clean it more effectively somewhere on this site.

08-23-08 04:17 PM
    or if you're really obsessive about it you can get a new on for under
    10 bucks Search Results - Samsung, Accessories Store, Nokia, SonyEricsson, HTC, Sony, Motorola, Panasonic,
    08-23-08 04:35 PM
    I replace mine from my stock pile ever 3 months or so..... nice and white now
    That's a good idea.

Mine looks a grayish type color..
    08-23-08 04:35 PM
    I dunno. I want it clear but I don't think I'm ready to take my BB apart.

08-23-08 04:44 PM
    It is very easy to take your trackball out... When removing the silver ring, however, be VERY careful, as the prongs that hold it in place are extremely fragile, and break easily.
    08-23-08 04:45 PM
    It is very easy to take your trackball out... When removing the silver ring, however, be VERY careful, as the prongs that hold it in place are extremely fragile, and break easily.
    Yeppers. One false move and bad times. However, as long as you are careful, as Jenay pointed out, the trackball removal process is not too much of a hassle. In effect, you can have a nice white trackball whenever you think it is time. Otherwise, that ball gets pretty grody after a while.
    08-23-08 07:17 PM
    She is right! I took my curve apart to replace the housing (a nice red one) and one of the little prongs broke! Now I just clean the trackball about once a week. A bit shy on taking it apart and replacing it.
    08-23-08 08:23 PM
    This Curve is a replacement and the t/ball is definitely whiter
    than on the old one (more opaque).
    08-23-08 08:29 PM
    Not clear, I clean it often too
    08-23-08 08:45 PM
    Wow I cleaned my track ball and wow is all I gotta say when I took out the trackball I had a little bit of like gluey black stuff...and now my trackball rolls good. Its nice and soft and stuff now lol and just a little bit cleaner it is now Thanks for the tips
    08-23-08 10:10 PM
    jenay have you taken your tract ball out ?
    08-23-08 11:02 PM
    I clean my trackball by putting a little alcohol on a microfiber cloth. I do this about once per week. It works good.
    08-24-08 12:04 AM
    Just got my Trackballfrom cnn.cn. Looks very nice and bright white!!

08-24-08 12:19 AM
    I was on the beach and I fell off the lifeguard stand. It was very early and the sun was rising, and I was taking pictures. I face planted into the sand, as well as my pearl. There was sand in every nook and cranny! When I got home, I tried to take out the trackball. I did, and put it back in, but it seemed slightly worse and not better at all. I ended up taking it out and fully apart to try and clean it more. Bad idea.

I couldn't get it back together for the life of me. The little silver removable ring (not the outer cover, the one directly on the trackball) was what I was trying to get off, but then everything fell apart. I ordered a new trackball on blackberrytrackball.com or something and it works perfectly now. Completely white, and rolls with ease.

I used my enV for a few days while I waited for it to come in the mail, and oh man...what a painful few days those were.
    08-24-08 12:23 AM
    Whiter than a drill instructors glove during an inspection......nah not so much
    08-24-08 12:58 AM
    mine is fresh, brand new bright white...swapped it out yesterday!
    08-24-08 08:38 AM
    Only 2 months old...still pretty clear.
    08-24-08 08:44 AM
    Mine is almost 9 months old and looking a bit orangish....maybe I should think about cleaning it soon.....

08-24-08 08:49 AM
    Bright White on my brand new replacement pearl.
    08-24-08 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD