Hi i just got blackberry bold 9650 i have no data plan on it how can i use the browser? im habing alot of trouble connecting to wifi
    04-06-11 11:21 PM
    Using my blackberry as a wifi only device with no BIS connection?
    Yes you can do that.

If i want to use my blackberry as a wifi only device is it possible for apps such as facebook, google maps, windows live messenger, yahoo messenger etc to still work even if i dont have a BIS connection?

They won't work on Wifi but you can download a 3rd party program with msn & yahoo other chat program to use with wifi.
    ^ Does that answer work for you?
    04-06-11 11:54 PM
    The thing to realize is that carriers do not allow smart phones without a data plan, your bold on wifi would not be associated to a carrier which means no phone service and no email unless you are accessing the email via the web e.g. Gmail.
    04-07-11 07:55 AM
    I think you can find a way. Getting a new contract phone, they always want a data plan. But I'm sure you could find a way around since you have a phone without contract.
    04-07-11 05:53 PM
    I think you can find a way. Getting a new contract phone, they always want a data plan. But I'm sure you could find a way around since you have a phone without contract.
    It all depends on the carrier...

Most CDMA carriers (Sprint and Verizon) require a data plan on every smartphone, doesn't matter where you got the phone. When you activate it, they will add the data plan for you, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. If you're using a GSM carrier (uses a SIM card) then it all depends on what the carrier requires. Like Att, requires a data plan, but with Tmobile you don't need one if you bought the phone off contract.

We don't know anything other than the OP has a 9650 though, don't even know if they're in the US or have the phone on any contract at all. They might just want to browse the web over wifi, which they can do...
    04-07-11 06:16 PM
    Most apps on the Blackberry require a data plan. No way around it. Without a data plan wifi won't do any good. Wifi is for those who HAVE a data plan but may be roMing or in an area with slow service. A Blackberry without a data plan is just a phone with a nice texting interface...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-11 07:35 PM
    Opera may download and install. You may need to do it through a computer though.
    04-07-11 08:42 PM
    My understanding was that changing your browser options to "hotspot browser" avoided BIS data routing... such that checking email (via web) and facebook (via web) and general browsing of weather, news, etc can be done.

It was a logical assumption that then with a wifi connection all of the above should be possible without a data plan, as no BB apps are used...

I have just upgraded to the 9930 and was hoping to get this basic web functionality on the 9650 as it one expensive alarm clock otherwise... lol
    02-27-12 08:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD