Hi all,
    I am new here to the BB community. I currently have a non-Blackberry CMDA dumbphone on Verizon. My job now takes me internationally, so I am looking for a CDMA and GSM phone so I can stay on Verizon in the U.S., but then use it globally with SIM cards from the countries to which I travel, all of which use GSM.

Should I get a regular CDMA+GSM locked Verizon Blackberry, such as a Bold 9930, or get one that is unlocked?
    I do not want to use Verizon while traveling; rather, I want to put in local SIM cards and use those as they are generally prepaid/no contract and cost less. The only exception I can think of going with T-Mobile and I was told that I can use the 9930 unlocked with SIM cards on T-mobile and forget about CDMA/Verizon. The problem with this is that T-mobile service in my area is not as good as Verizon.

As far as uses for the phone: mainly calling, text messaging, and checking email, air flight and bus schedules (i.e. Internet).

Any suggestions would be helpful. TIA (Thanks In Advance).
    02-10-14 11:45 AM
    Hi there, you'd want unlocked phone of course, you can insert other carrier's SIM in the SIM slot and it will detect it. But I suggest get a BlackBerry 10 phone, as you're not required to have a BIS subscription.

Welcome to CrackBerry!
    02-10-14 11:52 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry. The Verizon 9930 does have a SIM slot for GSM, but it comes locked. If you are ok with 2G speeds in the places you visit, then the unlocked 9930 can get you that anywhere, no problem. However, if you'd want 3G and/or HSPA+ speeds, the 9930 may not get you those 'fast' speeds everywhere (like, for example, in Canada, Mexico, and I think South America too and Japan as well.) However, in most of Europe, Africa, India and the Middle East, you will get 3G on an unlocked 9930.

Edit: good point by Mr. Moderator about BIS. In some countries, that costs extra (compared to generic data plans,) and in some places, BIS may not even be available.
    02-10-14 11:54 AM
    I called Verizon and asked for the unlock code. They have go give it to you if you meet certain criteria, mainly having an account in good standing for so many months. When you arrive at your destination, just purchase a SIM card at an airport, metro station or convenience store and pop it in. If you don't want to deal with Verizon, you can also purchase an unlock code from a third party; I believe there is a forum for that on this site.
    02-10-14 11:59 AM
    By "10", I am assuming you are referring to their latest OS version 10? (versus 7). If so, which 10 phone? My current dumphone (a Samsung Alias top/side flip phone) has a full-QWERTY physical keyboard, which I love for texting and messaging. However, I am not necessarily "married" to having a physical keyboard; touch screen is also fine. The other main reasons that I stuck with a dumphone for so long are that it is small (I can put it into my trouser or shirt pocket with ease) and that it is virtually indestructable (I can drop it and not worry about it breaking.)

BIS = ? Blackberry Internet Service? How does that work?
    02-11-14 03:37 AM
    By "10", I am assuming you are referring to their latest OS version 10? (versus 7). If so, which 10 phone? My current dumphone (a Samsung Alias top/side flip phone) has a full-QWERTY physical keyboard, which I love for texting and messaging. However, I am not necessarily "married" to having a physical keyboard; touch screen is also fine. The other main reasons that I stuck with a dumphone for so long are that it is small (I can put it into my trouser or shirt pocket with ease) and that it is virtually indestructable (I can drop it and not worry about it breaking.)
    Yes, he means the new OS phones (BlackBerry 10 is the OS.) For Verizon customers, there are three options: the Z10, Q10, and the Z30. Out of these three, the Q10 is the only one with a physical keyboard, and the most compact in size as well (3.1" screen vs. the Z10's 4.2 and the Z30's 5.)

BIS = ? Blackberry Internet Service? How does that work?
    Basically, on OS7 and older phones, you need a BIS plan for full data connectivity. BIS plans are pretty much required for older BBs, but not for BB10, which works with the generic smartphone plans Android and iPhones accept.
    02-11-14 09:50 AM
    Thanks. So getting a BIS is in addition to regular smartphone service? I'll try to find out more from Verizon.
    02-12-14 08:36 AM
    If you do indeed get a bold or other older BlackBerry's you will need BIS along with regular smartphone service. I think the cost for BIS is only a couple bucks, maybe most an extra 15/m but I would check around some carriers in the places you plan on travelling before buying one.

Other smartphone and BlackBerry10 included do not need anything besides a normal smartphone plan.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 02:11 PM
    Well of course you need an unlocked phone if you want to use other sim cards. And if you are planing to travel, you should take a no roaming fees sim card such as lemonsim sim card. You can order it form their website lemonsim.com
    03-25-14 05:03 PM
    Even if you get a local SIM without BIS in a foreign country, your data will still work over wifi so long as you have service that includes BIS active on your plan in your home country.
    03-25-14 05:27 PM