These instructions are for anyone who wants to optimize memory without wiping their device.

First download/install the handheld OS to your PC.

Plug in your BB, run DM and run a backup and backup your third party apps.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

Then run Shrink-A-OS by lyricidal, you can find it here...BlackBerry Apps/Hybrids by lyricidal

Once Shrink-A-OS is running select Browse and select your OS then select everything you want to remove and select Shrink My OS.

Remember if you remove VAD (Voice Activated Dialing) you will lose your About screen.

If you want to remove carrier themes you can run CrackMem and remove them and the vendor.xml file.

I don't know if this next step is necessary but I do it anyway. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9630-v4.7.1.40_P4.1.0.40\Java and delete the removed files folder. Then navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RemovedFiles and delete it's contents.

Next go back to Shrink-A-OS and select Launch Loader.exe then click Next and you should see your PIN then click Next again. Now App Loader will scan for available software and then it will show a list of the 4.7 core apps and your third party apps and they all should say None under Action. Click Next and it will say No actions are required then click Finish and App Loader will remove everything that you removed from the OS.

When App Loader is finished removing everything it will say Your device's software has been updated successfully then your BB will reboot, just to be safe leave it plugged in until it is finished rebooting.
    07-14-09 05:23 AM
    Could a Moderator please move this to BlackBerry Tips, How To & FAQ please.
    07-14-09 05:25 AM
    Nice guide bng.

This will help a lot of the new users that the popular Tour, Storm, Bold, and 8900 are bringing in to the Crackberry community.
    07-14-09 07:15 AM
    Thanks for this guide, been looking for a way to do it without actually reloading the entire os.
    07-14-09 09:07 AM
    Yes thank you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 09:23 AM
    Thanks for this guide man, very helpful.
    07-14-09 09:31 AM

This is the software produced by Lyricidal, the author has enabled a PayPay donation button.

IMHO, the software is unnecessary and does not actually produce any results, after the upgrade, that can not be achieved by BlackBerry Applications Loader and freely available advise.

The first case is languages. BlackBerry OS is shipped with multiple language options. Only the selected language options is installed, the remainder are ignored in the process. You gain nothing by removing them for the OS package.

The next case is IM and Social Apps. These fall into two categories, the native IM and IM service books. In the case of the native IM, they are maintained by Applications Loader. It is simple to select or deselect for the Applications list, there is nothing gained by removing them from the OS package. Service books are dealt with in the FAQ, they can't be removed, only hidden.

Other Features, with a few exceptions, all of these are managed with Applications Loader. The exceptions are:

Default Backgrounds
    Default Ringtones
    Default Themes
    Setup Wizard
    Voice Activated Dialing

All of these can be managed with existing free software, including CrackMem.

Then, there is the matter of support. Some of these features, removal of default themes and the Setup Wizard, have the potential to causing serious problems after the upgrade. Who will be responsible for support when thing go wrong?

I do not agree that this post should be included in the How Too section. The request for donation implies it has actualy been of benifit, it does not measure up.

Edit: I am advised, there is also a donation button in CrackMem.

07-14-09 10:14 AM
    Personally, I'd stick with CrackMem. If Reed agrees, thats good enough for me.
    07-14-09 10:42 AM
    I did notice that I was unable to shrink my os when messing with it shrink-a-os last night. before and after were always reported as the same no matter what i removed. maybe i was doing something wrong?
    07-14-09 10:53 AM
    That happens with Windows Vista unless you right click on the application and choose Run as Administrator.

The space used changes mean nothing. The majority of the changed files are never loaded in the first place, unless you have selected other then English as your default language.

I have been doing some testing too. To my relief, the Remove Default Themes only applies to Vendor Themes, not the pre-installed BlackBerry themes. That is a known trouble spot.

Default ringtones does nothing, Phew..

I can not speak to the Storm specific routines, but the remainder work exactly the same way as CrackMem, including the "Put it Back" feature.
    07-14-09 01:13 PM
    Well, this write up was a waste of my time

Reed, could you delete this thread please.
    07-14-09 02:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD